• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made a lot of ordinary snakes from rebar and threaded rod, but thought a few cobra paperweight snakes might be worth a try. I like the texture of the flattened threads around the hood of the cobra. Had to have a few goes at the coils on the first one. I think before doing any more, I will make a jig that clamps the head and turns the coils around a cone. Anyway, here are the first tries from today's demo. (I don't usually do untried things at demos, but sometimes people enjoy the experimentation.)

cobras 1.JPG

cobras  3.JPG

cobras 2.JPG

cobras 4.JPG

Das: Thanks. All thread does work well. I've found it's best not to overwork the widening of the hood so that the threads remain visible.

(M): Yeah, snakes are fun to do. Kids like them at demos. They like the hiss in the quench. If you do make some, I recommend a jig on flat plate with a few posts - it saves a lot of time with the bending and keeps things flat.

HM: All-thread is good but usually comes with galvanising which is a pain.  All my snake blanks get acid treat before going near the forge.

Don't worry JLP, I have had very little time in the forge myself till I get the babies room all painted and organized. Had a baby shower yesterday and Saturday was spent scraping paint and patching the ceiling. " might " have the ceiling done tonight then masking trim and painting walls at least the next few evenings. 

I'm really missing my hammers right now. I'd love to be cleaning and organizing them. :) That's a nice bunch you have there. 

Today I forged a hidden tang handle for my wife’s tortilla pan. The old Bakelite  handle broke off and she’s been bummed. She loves that pan so much, she continues to use it without a handle.

I used wood from a hardwood longboard skateboard for the handle and brass pins with a 24 hour high temp epoxy. I will shape it and try to mount it up tomorrow after the epoxy cures.

Can I rub some unboiled linseed oil on the wooden handle, or would that be a bad idea?

Anyways, If it works I’ll post some pics... if it fails, we will never speak of this again. :D

IMG_20180310_140032832.jpg

Got to finishing off a mantis I have had on the to-do list for a while. This is similar to others I have done, except that the head is swivel mounted so he can have different expressions. Our mechanic gave me some ball joints which did the job admirably. This one is 600 mm long.

mantid1a.JPG

mantid2a.JPG

Now there's an idea Stitch. S hook snakes. I kinda think it's been mentioned before a good while back but I'm not sure. Great idea tho. When I get off painters duty and back in the shop I'll deffinately have to give one a try. They would sell great to some and repulse others ( like my mom who is deathly terrified of them lol) 

Stitch, you could make your wife a wall hook from a snake like that. The problem with the usual snake hooks is that once you hang something on them the head or tail is covered. You can shape a bend in the middle as the hook, leaving the head and tail in view:

DSC_8005.JPG