I Forge Iron

Amateur bladesmith sparks inferno, 20 buildings destroyed

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Will W. said:

I hope you are wrong, but fear that you are correct. 

Well at least i know that i (probably) wont be affected by any new regulations. All of my nearest neighbors are bovine in nature, and they dont seem to mind my smithing. 

I 100% agree ^^.

But that will not keep that guy from hiring a lawyer to try and blame & sue the History Channel and that show for this.

And likely win the case...

As a fellow New Yorker I'm embarrassed this guy did this.  It doesn't take too long to read up and safely begin forging.  Here on IFI it's a constant drum beat to check your local code and laws to see what you can and can't do.  It's also quite clear here how to have a safe set-up.

FIF should do a whole episode devoted to showing the safety measures.  They have 4 3-burner gas forges going at once, they should show how the place is properly ventilated because someone watching will think they can fire up a gas forge in their basement not understanding they could kill everyone in the house very quickly.  Another big problem though with FIF is that they show the finalists going back to their home forges.  It's the most interesting part (IMHO) to see their set-ups / tools, but a great deal of them quench in PVC pipes which isn't necessarily the best example.  Can an experienced smith do it without issues?  Yeah lots do, but the problem enters when someone without experience tries it. 

Also being an upstate NY er I can tell you that it won't be laws against forging, it will be licenses and training certifications that they would do.  If it can't be taxed, they will require a license.   

Gents,

It feels so strange to me, after the enormous publicity of FIF. On one side I’m very grateful about the attention the old profession of (blade)smiting got now, and also adoration of the ones exercising it for the last decades.

On the other side I’m worried about the consequences. Which are:

-a huge increase of the prices of second-hand blacksmith equipment since then

-a serious danger to people and there a round them, start it without any knowledge of the basic principles (temperatures, materials, emissions, consequences etc.)

Guy’s without any knowledge, from all different professions, make their first attempt as an blacksmith with lack on training, safety behaviour and common sense.

We will see where its end.

Waiting for the first episode of ‘Folded with origami’ (FWO) but even than -the sharp paper age “It will kill” (Doug Marcaida) :ph34r:

Wish you a nice WE.

Her Richter,

I suggest you check the "Darwin Awards" on the net.

Lord Darwin works in strange and wondrous ways.

Forged in fire will end soon when the pubic gets bored with the show.

Then most 'new' smiths will lose interest and sell their anvils and tools for much less.

Regards,

SLAG.

Unfortunantly in this modern world we lack a coming of age test. The idiots live long enugh to breed (and as the ones with brains use contraceptives, the idiots are out breeding them). 

Kniwing how "accurate" the news media is these days I wonder if "gasoline" isn't instead "fuel oil". Giving the idiot the benifit of the doubt here. Even my jaded self has difficulty fathoming heating gasoline, wile a fool might come to the conclusion that "quenched in oil" meens any oil and fuel oil is oil...

then again I used to desolve styrofoam in gasoline and dip tennis  balls in the napalm before launching than out of my tennis ball mortor...

2 hours ago, SLAG said:

quenched his nascent sword in warmed gasoline

One of the scariest moments in my 10 year flirtation with being a professional glassblower was at a class I attended up at Haystack with Lino Tagliapietra, a justifiably world renowned Venetian glass artist.  To some extent he was responsible for the radical increase in technical excellence in the American art glass scene by being willing to share many of the previously closely held  "secret" techniques from the island of Murano.

One day he demonstrated his method for making venetian bubble glass (there is a formal Italian term, which unfortunately my failing memory will not provide).  He took a large glass casting ladle (8" pipe butt weld cap with a 5' long 1" diameter steel pipe handle welded on to its side), filled it with gasoline, and proceeded to shove it into the open door of the glass melting furnace, which at the time was idling at somewhere in the 2,100 deg. F range and full of around 150 lbs. of molten glass.  He quickly flipped the cap 180 degrees and used it to stir the glass up, just like you would stir a pot of soup.

Needless to say I was already standing at the door half way out of the shop.  Of course there was no explosion, or even an unusual amount of flame exiting the furnace door.  He made some beautiful finely bubbled, translucent glass using this trick, but I've never been brave enough to try it at home.  I think there are some pretty critical timing and technique issues to avoid having any of the gas vaporize and ignite, so PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME (in the event you have a crucible full of molten glass at home that is...).

JHCC,

Yes I was joking. Honest.

Herr Hans Richter,

Vee haff our Vays.

Richter, a noble name, means judge in German. That gave me a slight clue. The rest was educated guesswork, sorta.

Signing out, (*for now).

SLAG.

Thankfully everyone is okay and even the pets were able rescued.

Who xxxxxxxx  thinks that "a bigger fire" and "close to the house" together is a good idea?

While I have a disdain for more regulations. This kind of moron almost makes me think that a license is not bad of a idea.

I know a well respected SOFA member that burned his shop down trying to quench too big a blade in too little oil.  Even Homer nods!  (But all of us may have more trouble in the future because of that incident.  Luckily they are still referring to him as a bladesmith and not the larger group Blacksmiths).

I'm off for the weekend + Monday; play nice and don't burn down any city centers while I'm away!

Wow. I feel very sorry for the town and especialy for the person who started it, no matter how careless it was.

From the two articles I read, there doesn't seem to be hardly any information yet as to how the accident happened. We don't know enough yet to call him an idiot. We have all made mistakes, and I am thankful that none of mine have started something like this. I think this is an extremely good reminder for all of us as to what can happen when we aren't prepared to stop a worst case scenario from getting out of hand. 

Should this thread be pinned as a reference for why we care so much about safety?