I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knives are tempered after the time limit on forging, grinding, and hardening.  The judges commented on how the guy whose knife they tested with a file looked like he was quenching too cool, which would not fully harden.  A file might bite a tempered blade, but not as much as that file did if it was fully hardened first.

Editing footage of four people working for six hours and then two people working for five days, as well as the footage of the two sets of testing, to fit into about 45 minutes means that a lot of what goes on is necessarily never seen by the audience.  And this is popular entertainment, not a documentary, so the technical side of things is less important than the flashy side of things. 

Still, it is far better than what reality TV used to be.  I was horrified when I saw American Chopper, American Hot Rod, etc.  It was jerks screaming at each other with vehicles in the background.  There seems to be a trend away from that, and I am thankful for that.

Forged in Fire isn't an educational program, it's entertainment designed, written and produced by Hollywood types. The first couple episodes I noticed one of the judges cringing when the final two contestants were sent to their home "Forges." Oh and when the set was called a "Forge."

It's entertainment and happily lacking in the contrived drama that seems to be the main stay of modern entertainment. Remember when the Learning Channel actually had educational programs? Discovery Channel is now largely about UFOs, Sasquatch hunters and "Monsters" everywhere. Oh I almost forgot gold mining.

I have to remind myself of what constitutes modern "education" when a kid asks a question that indicates they've done zero research even when they think they've read a LOT.

I watch FIF for entertainment, getting a look at the finalist's home shops is gravy. I loved both war hammers though I think the goat head would be my second choice in combat.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah I agree. I remember many great shows that my brother and I used to watch. One of which was Mythbusters which is a mix between entertainment and educational. Good point with the news. There is so much more going around in the world than some of these "celebrities" lives. Anyway, FIF I watch mainly to see the guys shop as frosty said, and to see the blades created. I would never watch it for an educational purpose! That's what Steves book is for. 

Myth Busters is in it's final season. I think it says a lot when a show billed as entertainment displays better science than the "Science" Channel. Of course Jamie and Adam are professional special affects guys so their science has to be a LOT more solid than . . . Nevermind.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

The last episode was one of my favorites. Though, all I was thinking was that those guys were destroying their lungs. All that coal smoke going everywhere and no ventilation. 

On 2/19/2016 at 3:48 PM, Forging Carver said:

Also, I have watched this show and read a thread about why they don't temper their knives. I know for a fact that they don't temper their knives becuase of episode 1 of season 2. They judges used a file to test and see if the guys blade was hard. Now if he tempered the blade, then that test wouldn't work. I guess they could do it in the handle stage, but why wouldn't they show just a glimpse of it then? This has really been making me wonder.

your facts are wrong, they temper the blades overnight, off camera.   You seem to have developed a habit of posting nonsense without knowledge of the subject.

Lol take it easy. It seems that the only time you comment is to try and bash me and tell me what I do wrong. If you would read the end of my sentence, I said maybe they do it in the handle stage. so to me it looks like you are the one posting non sense without knowledge of the subject.

If you didnt post so many false hoods we would not have too correct you so often,

No electricity is the way I make my blades. Well I do use an electric blower but it's all hand hammers and files. I like it that way, slow and steady and hard to make a catastrophic mistake.

Id like to try making a claymore one day but I know it's beyond me right now however if I had $10k on the line id go for it in a heartbeat. 

As far as their setups go, I believe the gas forge used by the one guy would've been fine for heat treat he just rushed it, twice.

Maybe now some are starting to understand why I tell people a sword is not just a large knife, and to correct the 1` hours thing, its 40 minutes not 60, due to introduction and commercials time slots needing to be inserted.  I talked with 3 of the first season people at SOFA, and as a result I decided to pass on the invitation I received because I dont see me making a sword in 1 week in my shop, I take a bit longer.  Trying can only backfire and kill my existing and future blade orders if I went in there and failed. was not worth the risk, and I added that a camera following me around for a week or so, is sure to capture me doing something highly embarrassing and that would get replayed over and over.

I wondered about that Steve.  Do the losers suffer any business loss. I have seen a few whose arrogance really stuck out in the beginning then they lost first thing. I was planning if we sold our business to pay one of those guys for a week of training. After seeing his attitude I started looking elsewhere.

Not knowing the name of whom you speak, let me just say:  Give him another chance.  You had respected his judgement before that TV show, so please remember we have no idea what really happened to put him into the place to say what you saw in the edited clip for TV.    We have no clue what questions was asked that caused him to answer that way.   For example if I ask you when did you stop beating babies.    How many ways can you answer that?   and how could those answers be edited for later?  Harsh but still  an example of a set up for drama. he may really be a jerk, or he may be perfect for you but given the TV show and editing  just sounded bad. I know of a few TV interviews that looked very bad for a person I know very well.   I know I have come off very harsh when I dont mean  to be, here in the forums.  Try to not let a TV show effect your opinion of a smith.

and Yes i am positive some of the losers from that show will suffer for it, in addition to missing the week of work and having to pay out of pocket their own way to and from the set.

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Not knowing the name of whom you speak, let me just say:  Give him another chance.  You had respected his judgement before that TV show, so please remember we have no idea what really happened to put him into the place to say what you saw in the edited clip for TV.    We have no clue what questions was asked that caused him to answer that way.   For example if I ask you when did you stop beating babies.    How many ways can you answer that?   and how could those answers be edited for later?  Harsh but still  an example of a set up for drama. he may really be a jerk, or he may be perfect for you but given the TV show and editing  just sounded bad. I know of a few TV interviews that looked very bad for a person I know very well.   I know I have come off very harsh when I dont mean  to be, here in the forums.  Try to not let a TV show effect your opinion of a smith.

and Yes i am positive some of the losers from that show will suffer for it, in addition to missing the week of work and having to pay out of pocket their own way to and from the set.

The questions and comments you don't hear are a big deal in these reality TV shows--attempts at manufacturing drama.  On the worst of them, the crew will actually do things like "I heard XXX says you are a hack" to try and get that dramatic anger response.  Often, they make contestants repeat comments so they can get better "video" and add the fake drama: "Say that again but a little angrier this time".  FIF doesn't seem to have gone that far but it's definitely something to keep in mind when "judging" contestents.  What you see is not necessarily what actually "is".

I personally would not form any opinions on any participants unless I actually met them in person.

I work for the company that the Flying Wild Alaska show was based on there was very little reality other than the scenery and the remoteness of some of the locations. All the extreme dangers and drama were fabricated or exagerated greatly. 

The episode where a birthday cake was destroyed by severe turbulence was one of the pilots ideas. They put the cake in the box and he went for a flight with no passengers, a couple of aggressive changes in altitude later you get a smashed up birthday cake!

I did appreciate this episode more for the fact that they had some difficulties and the final projects represented the difficulty and the level of expertise required to accomplish in 5 days! 

I saw J. Nielson comment on Instagram that they have been sure to mention when every episode of season 2 was filmed that the blades were tempered after the hardening process, but that the footage apparently always got cut in editing.

Here's a news blast guys. TV, Movies, Actors, etc. and the REAL WORLD are two entirely different things. Everything you see on TV is make believe. I have yet to watch an episode of FIF I didn't think that ain't right, no even marginal bladesmith would do that. However, it's TV so I didn't mention it because it's make believe.

This is also why I ignore actors opinions outside their highly specialized occupation. Politics, world view, science and tech? Opinions from people who make a living pretending to be something they're not? Yeah, sure.

And that's the way blades are made too.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Frosty, 

We all watch and chuckle about some of the things we see on Forged in Fire.. I too was very skeptical about the selection of the candidates until I was aproched to help one that has yet to be aired. I spent the day coaching and working with him on procedures and advised him on gas forges and power hammers and some time at the forge. He reported back to me with some results but being under contract he could not reveal the final results. What impressed me the most of what I have seen so far is the honor of the smiths when eliminated . They all in true blacksmith form congratulate and shake the hands of the continuing contestants and wish them well .. No sour grapes. I guess that just shows what we all know about our trade and fellow smiths. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

In which episode do I look for your name in the credits? You could start a school, call it "Coached on Fire?" Maybe the "Jim class".

I've been approached a couple times about blacksmithing in Alaska, one wanting me to move to a cabin in a forest for the dramatic aspect. No, they didn't care if it was a remote cabin, I was assured they could deal with neighbors with camera angles and editing. I couldn't curb my sarcasm enough to reply so I didn't.

Once the episode airs let us know who the lucky guy was.

Frosty The Lucky.