I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayup, you beat me to the reminder. Not that it's hard to beat me to things. But yes, tonight History Channel the challenge is a Katana. I'll be watching and pretending the gang is with me groaning and nit picking it to death.

Frosty The Lucky.

They aren't really interested in competence unless it's paired with whatever appearance and mannerisms the film makers are after. 

And that's exactly what I meant, when referring to the "Hollywood" aspect.

------------------------------------

I grew up around Loggers, ... but if I didn't know better, a show like "Ax Men" would surely have me believing they were ALL ignorant, drunken, belligerent and stupid.

Because that's the stereotype that the "Hollywood" producers present.

Knowing the image presented by "Hollywood" basically false, ... I'm wary of the other representations they make.

------------------------------------------------

"Hollywood" is probably the wrong term to use for those folks that make the decisions regarding "reality" TV, ... but the only others I can think of, are unfit for use on a "G rated" Forum .....

Edited by SmoothBore

Naw, calling pretend BS Hollywood is as good a term as any. It's a city built on pretending as are the "stars" a person can't give too much credence to what comes out of Hollywood.

I'm just thankful nobody here has asked me about the "Alaska" based "reality(?)" shows. It'd be a long rant if I got going and I haven't watched more than a few minutes of any of them.

I'll be watching "Forged in Fire" tonight though. Hopefully after I've filtered out the dross there'll be enough meat left over to make a ravioli.

Frosty The Lucky.

It is a shame that this show needs to be competitive  and full of bling instead of educational.  I would rather watch a master of his 0r her craft in a documentary  over what  I just saw on this show (nothing against the smiths). It is way more entertaining for me to read the informative info that I get from the posts from advanced members as well as the newbies on this forum . However, I suppose that it is good to get the word out about blacksmithing on tv  it might trigger some kids to want to work more with their hands.

Amen, jkmas, I would have much preferred something more educational - this show sort of assumes a basic understanding of blacksmithing and how knives are made instead of showing the process.  I understand they have to edit all kinds of stuff out to get a 3 hour process down to 30 minutes, but still.    

I turned it off after the first guy got tossed, mostly 'cause I disagreed with who they tossed.    What can I say, we women are fickle!

It wasn't too bad but it could've been much better. I watched it all the way through and personally I had the winner pegged from the beginning. He seemed to have taken pride in what he did. Whereas the 'professional' didn't seem to know as well. 

Spanky, I agree the first one out should've been there one more round . I think the other guy with similar problems should've been the one to go first.

ill probably watch another episode before I make a final decision of whether it's any good or not.

I went into it with the understanding that it was an entertainment program hoping to garner as wide an audience as they could,  not an educational program that would only be paid attention to by a small portion of the possible viewing audience. How many of you would regularly take time out of your day to watch an educational program about a topic that you had no intention to learn how to do? Just because we are interested in learning more about blacksmithing/bladesmithing doesn't mean enough people are for the network to take up airspace with the idea. 

The gist of this post being: Don't talk bad about the show for not meeting unrealistic expectations. I had HOPES it would be more informational than it was, but was actually (iintentionally) expecting it to be even less so than it was.

I don't mind at all reading where people have put their opinion about whether they liked it or not, just think it's a little overboard to call it crap because it didn't meet your expectations. Hey, at least they are actually showing real forging of real blades and emphasizing funcionality.... not just cutting out and welding together pieces of metal to look like tv/movie/video game "swords", that aren't usable.

It was either History or Discovery channel that used to run a series whose name is escaping me that was an hour long, in-depth explanation of how some things were made.  It was absolutely FASCINATING to watch, captivating for the entire hour, which if I recall correctly covered maybe 3 things in depth in the hour.  One tunes into the HISTORY channel ASSUMING something of an educational nature - you want "reality show" you go over to one of the so-called Major Networks.  I know it's all about entertainment and what makes money, but I consider it NOT a good thing that the History channel occasionally stoops to Reality TV (and don't get me started on THAT genre).   Why does everything have to be a competition, wouldn't it be just as entertaining to simply get an IN DEPTH look at the craft.    All IMHO, of course. 

Please note that the posts I am making here are only my opinion (humble or not -grin-), and I am not trying to step on anyone's right to express their own.

Spanky:  That's the thing though... documentaries are usually either a one "episode" thing, or possibly miniseries. And even with educational networks, they weigh their timeslots based on audience size. This show is a series, so they have to draw a larger audience. 

But hey, I do hope to see more in depth documentary instructional shows on the smithing crafts, black to white to blade.

I just don't fault the show for being what itclaimed to be and not something it wasn't. 

Edited by LastRonin

Back when I worked for others, ... one aspect of the "Corporate Climate" that I detested, was the endless, "artificial emergencies", ... spawned by "business school" types, ... to elicit a "sense of urgency", from employees.

These phoney "competitions", that seem to infect every aspect of TV programing in the 21st Century, ... are equally off-putting.

Everything's a sham "contest", ... to determine WHAT ?

What I saw last night, was a meaningless display of sub-standard results, ... due, in main part, ... to the arbitrary time restriction.

So we learned, ... that you can bang out a piece of crap, ... in a hurry.

I already knew that, ... and think such a shallow representation of what  a Blacksmith can, ... or should do, ... is insulting.

I would have applauded any of the Smiths, who had refused to turn in sub-standard work.

Edited by SmoothBore

Actors vs blacksmiths/bladesmiths.

The actor gets paid for showing up and doing what he is told to do. When done correctly he is a craftsman in HIS craft.

The blacksmith/bladesmith gets paid to produce a product worthy of his touchmark and his client. When done correctly he is a craftsman in HIS craft.

Both have high standards in their respective crafts.

Edited by Glenn

Back when I worked for others, ... one aspect of the "Corporate Climate" that I detested, was the endless, "artificial emergencies", ... spawned by "business school" types, ... to elicit a "sense of urgency", from employees.

These phoney "competitions", that seem to infect every aspect of TV programing in the 21st Century, ... are equally off-putting.

Everything's a sham "contest", ... to determine WHAT ?

What I saw last night, was a meaningless display of sub-standard results, ... due, in main part, ... to the arbitrary time restriction.

So we learned, ... that you can bang out a piece of crap, ... in a hurry.

I already knew that, ... and think such a shallow representation of what  a Blacksmith can, ... or should do, ... is insulting.

I would have applauded any of the Smiths, who had refused to turn in sub-standard work.

I understand where you are coming from, but is this THAT much different from the big blacksmith contest where the competitors have to make a specific style tong within a time limit?

Actors vs blacksmiths/bladesmiths.

The actor gets paid for showing up and doing what he is told to do. When done correctly he is a craftsman in HIS craft.

The blacksmith/bladesmith gets paid to produce a product worthy of his touchmark and his client. When done correctly he is a craftsman in HIS craft.

Both have high standards in their respective crafts.

In this show, the show producers ARE the client, and in effect are getting what they ask for. Like the old sign; you can have it fast, good or cheap... Pick two.