I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Coyote Killer" I love that!  Last spring my wife and I saw a coyote running across the road, right in front of us!  He had a real roadrunner in his mouth and he was SMILING!  I don't think he even noticed that we were there!  We were in Branson Missouri... where roadrunners are fairly common... coyotes too... we like listening to their songs in the late evenings!

OH cool, we can pick another season of Forged inn Fire to pieces!! Thanks for the heads up I enjoyed season one.

Last November while Deb and I were is the San Fernando Valley at a dog trainer class her folks took us on a day trip to "The Living Desert." Lots of neat seldom seen critters and the aviary was a nice spot to take a little sit down rest. I was sitting on a little wall in the shade looking at a red tail hawk in a tree when something pecked me on the leg.

I looked down and there was the FATTEST roadrunner I've ever seen. RoadRUNNER? right, more a roadwaddler. I looked down said hi and it settled right down and eyeballed my hand, then me, then my hand, then picked my hand and finally gave up on a treat and went to sleep.

The Coyote exhibit was only maybe 100' away and they looked pretty well fed. Maybe the Branson roadrunners are a little too well fed?

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

A buddy of mine will be in episode one.  Gonna have to find someone with cable/satellite so I can watch it!  February 9.  :)

Alright! Going to let us know who? You could rent a motel room for an hour if you have to. :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

Stormcrow, if you don't feel compelled to watch the show when it airs you can stream directly from the History Channel later.   I'm not sure what the delay is though.

BTW I'm a fan of your work and always look forward to seeing what you'll post next.

5 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

What I find as funny, is the amount of people that want to make a weapon, then complain that it is a weapon..,.

Haha, yeah, I love getting, "I want a sword, but something I can use for everyday stuff."
"How about a machete or large cleaver?"
"Nah, double sided; but, you know, a practical blade, not a weapon."

Somehow this has happened to me twice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2016 at 5:24 PM, Stormcrow said:

Ok, *not* March 29th but April 5th.  Wish someone would make up their mind.

I'd take that as a good sign.  Unless I'm mistaken the earlier shows last season featured easier challenges and less experienced/skilled smiths.  If that's the case then being towards the end of the season is a compliment.  Of course there's always the chance that it's just my perception.

Well, his episode was the first one filmed, and was originally to be the first one aired, but they changed up the order. 

He's in the intro (first guy to talk besides the narrator, also wiping his sweat in slo-mo) and in this commercial for the show saying, "We get to build a cutlassss!" in a pirate voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8oObxJN4NU

Also, I have watched this show and read a thread about why they don't temper their knives. I know for a fact that they don't temper their knives becuase of episode 1 of season 2. They judges used a file to test and see if the guys blade was hard. Now if he tempered the blade, then that test wouldn't work. I guess they could do it in the handle stage, but why wouldn't they show just a glimpse of it then? This has really been making me wonder.

your facts are wrong, they temper the blades overnight, off camera.   You seem to have developed a habit of posting nonsense without knowledge of the subject.

I believe one of the forum members was a contestant last season, but I'm not sure he's ever said anything on here about the experience.  I find it very hard to believe that any of those judges would be willing to swing those blades as hard as they do into blocks of ice, coconuts, etc. if they were not tempered.  The temper phase has no entertainment value for most people so they are not likely to show us any of it.  We don't know the time delay between the blade making phase and the handle phase or even how long it is from the time the forging phase is over until they present their blades to the judges.

A properly hardened and tempered blade will still skip a file off without it biting in.  If you run the colors way up on the temper then a file might bite in, but that would not be proper for the cutting edge anyway.