I Forge Iron

Blademithing series on History channel

Frosty

8 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

The winners sword…  nice enough, is there a way to determine the proper heat treating method for that particular steel ?

When the testing of the swords was going on, he said something about not knowing if the steel cold be hardened ?

it performed well, didn’t bend or break, so I am guessing his hardening method wasn’t too far off !

Well, he did clamp it in a vice and bang on both sides the tip with a hammer until it broke off, so he was able to tell from that how it acted under impact. He seemed fairly pleased with the results of his heat treat after that.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

The winners sword…  nice enough, is there a way to determine the proper heat treating method for that particular steel ?

perhaps if you read the heat treating sticky you would have seen how to check for HT methods.

On 12/03/2016 at 7:50 PM, notownkid said:

Smoggy I must say from past experience what the US sends your way for shows are inferior to a lot you send our way.  It's interesting to watch, one has got to learn something watching people do what we do (using the term loosely)  even if it's what not to do that way.  I was surprised to see it come back for another season.  Certainly seems to have generated a few 100,000 new bladesmiths looking for anvils! 

In all fairness we do get some decent progs from across the pond and not every thing produced here is as good as the commercial break! If it turns out to be entertaining, then that's fine, if it turns out to be informative then so much the better. I've come to never expect too much and sometimes find progs so poor they inadvertantly have me rolling with  laughter! I think the first episode is next week so I'll offer opinions after viewing, provided I don't forget to watch it. Which is exactly what I did tonight with a prog I'd been waiting for all week......(Guy Martin for those who know who he is)..... with a bit of luck I may find it on "catch up".

Smoggy, we get over 300 channels on a dish and we only watch 12-14 of them One is BBC America, favorite is RFD channel having to do with rural living and older programs.  So much stuff on the dish that is worthless sometimes I end up watching cartoons! Watched the 4th show of the season yesterday.  Can't wait to see what you think of Forged in Fire.  Steve Sells concern was obvious in the show.  I record all shows that I'm interested in as I also forget or get called away when it is showing or I'm famous for falling asleep during it sometimes have to watch it 2-3 times to see it all.  Good luck.   

Not to high jack the thread but I saw an add maybe a couple hours before FIF for a new series called, "Fire and Iron." The trailer was welding hot iron/steel being smacked on an anvil. I've looked at the History Channel and can't find reference nor have I found mention on a general search.

Anybody else see the trailer or am I hallucinating?

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Monday, April 11.

I saw it too, "Fire And Iron" I was so excited I started a new thread. I was watching for it, heck I must've watched 5 episodes of FIF yesterday hoping for the trailer. Finally the producer . . . folk have discovered hammering REALLY HOT iron is SEXY.

Frosty The Lucky.

16 minutes ago, JHCC said:

By the way, it was nice to see the winner of the kukri challenge using a big-hunk-o'-steel anvil. Something good to point out to all the folks who think they need a London-pattern to get started.

Noticed that too eh? How about the home made forge and obviously home made bench and racks? His shop is in SC, Appalachia I believe and he certainly spoke with bit of a Border Scotts, Irish, brogue lilt.

The other fellows shop wasn't full of expensive gear either and both turned out pretty decent Kukris.

I'm wondering if the fellow who got the bearing isn't the fellow who Jim Coke gave a crash course in power hammer, press and gas forge use? He had that poor pres forge crying in pain.

Frosty The Lucky.

One nice thing about the show: the occasional object lesson in how and why things go wrong.

To be sure, it's a "reality" show, not educational programming, but there's still plenty of good stuff to take away.

Just now, Jim Coke said:

Frosty.. 

Come on Frosty ... NOPE NOT HIM.. 

It had me wondering, has he been on yet? I figured you would've covered hammering on steel that wasn't even at red heat, but some folk just don't get it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well I've just viewed what I assume is episode one of series one. I am not qualified to make comments on the bladesmiths or their work or on the judgements of the panel only on the show itself.

I'll be as kind as I can......marks out of ten.......zero!

Honestly. I've learned more and found more entertainment viewing homemade You Tube videos.

Smoggy,  they do get better after a few shows and I think this yrs. shows have improved a lot. I've got them up to a 5-6 but they are all doing better than I would on the show.  Have to ;earn something watching these and like to see their home shops.

I wish i remember the episode number on forged in fire, but it was 2 episodes ago. There was a lady smith making a knife, but she kicked out in the second round.

It was a dagger competition, and she covered her handle with leather. Ok, I don't know what she was doing for the 2 hours they let her attach the handle, but her dagger performed much better than the other guy. They said her tip was cracked. I couldn't see a crack in it. The guy they let pass dagger was so dull it wouldn't cut a burlap sack.

In fact in the final competition his kukri knife was not very sharp either.  The guy from angry giant forge won. He was a big guy that just did his thing. I liked that.

So what do you guys think?

Adam

I remember that one.  She started out trying to straighten out a very thick coil.  She heated it and put it in the vise and tried to " uncoil" it.  She either didn't have enough strength or didn't get it hot enough. Couldn't tell how thick it was from the TV screen, but it looked pretty thick. She wasted a lot of time trying to uncoil it. i really have no experience but to me I would have cut it in half and put it in the forge and then used an available power hammer to straighten it out. Just my @ cents.