I Forge Iron

The repurposing thread

Matt Marti

No pictures right now, but the walls and roof of our shop are all recycled plywood from concrete forms. Most is all 1/2" 15 ply HDO marine grade plywood, that even beat and damaged is still vastly stronger than standard plywood. All of it was free from our local Symons concrete form rental company when they reline the forms.

4" by 0.085 chrome/moly boiler tube, 24' long for rafters, and roof metal new, that the corner of the bundle had been run over. entire roof and walls of the blacksmith shop.

70's Datsun pickup bed repurposed to a trailer that is a working, forge shop on wheels, built in forge drill press and vise with dry storage for tools from an old electrical control box, with storage under the bed cover for tables and the anvil.

I had a tenant move out and leave four set of drawers that go under a bed to support the mattress. I stacked them up to give me a bank of drawers 3 wide x 4 high. I screwed them together and stuck some 1/2" plywood (that originally would have been between the drawers and the mattress) on top for a work bench. I have some cement board scraps that are just the right size to cover the plywood, and make a back splash. Once I get the cement board installed in the next day or two, this will me my new grinding bench and power tool storage. I'll try to remember to take a picture when it's done.

That drum smithy is pretty cool.

Like I said in another post if I didn't re-purpose this would be a short lived hobby, I spend enough money on it as it is.

Stainless steel kitchen trash can with a charcoal smoker back extension for my side draft forge hood. Actually most of the forge is "re-purposed".

hood.jpg

Our first anvil setup, little over a year ago, 2" plate and various other things mounted in an old weight bench frame in the back yard. We've come a long way.

anvilsetup.jpg

I have a pic of a hot cut hardy tool that I made from an auger tooth in the gallery but I cant see how to link to those pics in a post.

Do you get extra points for merging different century together>3-3-15_1254.thumb.JPG.32d97bf03c084d094b

this is a very old lathe with a very new dot-peen marking machine fixed to the cross slide

3-3-15_1257.thumb.JPG.1d4d67c6cd0bd7904e

this setup works along the same lines.  it was a worn out lathe that we mounted a variable speed drill press to the cross slide and is used to perforate pipe.

3-3-15_1256.thumb.JPG.b5f33985573daba436

this is one of my favorite ideas. it's a old 4 jaw chuck that we mounted upright and use as a vice.  it makes assembly a lot easier.

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware, bed rails aren't mild steel and make stock for all kinds of handy things. I'm still waiting to see someone who repurposes thread.

Here're two, a ball pein to a straight pein and a broken Ford pickup axle to a turning hammer. Metalmangler's broken pickup axle, unfortunately for the pickup but fortunately for my hammer rack and my skills sets/ mental toolbox.

Both are handled from 1" hickory plank with a mod of Uri's hammer handle design. Tapered makes them easy to grip without holding them tight. I round the pein edge more than the face edge making it really easy to know which side of the hammer is addressing the work without looking. This allows a good bit of demo showmanship, say spinning the hammer in my hand in mid stroke. tThe knob end was an early design feature to prevent accidentally throwing the hammer but the tapered length takes care of that.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ball_to_straight_pein01.thumb.jpg.e84fd0Hammerhead1.thumb.jpg.d6cbcbd914c229d905

In a past life I was a drummer & now I'm selling all of my music gear to buy workshop tools. Over the years I adapted cymbal stands/raided them for parts so now I'm left with the bases of 2 cymbal stands that don't have the top parts. I was going to cobble some bits together to be able to sell them but I've decided to hang onto the bases & fabricate some rollers or something for the top & use them in my workshop. A lot of drum gear is really well engineered and definitely has multiple uses as it's designed to be adjustable.

It was a couple of pullovers but now it's a blanket... Snapshot_20150315.thumb.JPG.916690413a9d

Oh wait, repurposing Thread... Gotcha... 

Seriously the much ignored shipping pallet is a great source of timber, even a couple screwed together can make a decent makeshift workbench.

Oh... and it was me that crocheted the blanket, got to learn a new skill every year as it keeps the brain healthy.

I have a number of bullpins I have picked up at the flea markets and repurposed as punches, drifts and punch/drift combos.  I also stick them in the pritchel or hardy hole to quiet an anvil down as my travel anvils are not mounted firmly to mute them.

Having read here when I started, that a squirrel cage makes a good blower, as you can see in the second pic of my post up here, I changed the Champion 400 in a cage and my grand daughter into the needed squirrel ...

• 5 months later...

Now that is the right size chimney!  Can't stand anything in a corner and forget it. 

14 ft diameter. I have to keep it clean. And it works. I get some fairly large stuff out of there : hand rails, balustrades. There is however a ventilation problem. I'll fix it before winter.

• 1 month later...

No photos, as I've neither taken any or had a look see how to post them here yet.....however, my whole shop is repurposed. The shed itself is and old aluminium (aluminum) frame green house (glasshouse) with all but a few pains replaced with corrugated sheet from an old garage door, a gas bottle stove use for various additional processes has an exhaust pipe (auto muffler) chimney, A Brake disc (rota) forge. I have two anvils, both 1cwt counterbalance weights set on stumps.  A display unit serves as storage and the box bellows is made from the packing crates that components arrive at the Land Rover factory in, the list goes on but bar the tools that I do not keep in there, as it's not secure at the moment.....one item stands out as unique....a chair, which I use to sit on!

Edited by Smoggy