I Forge Iron

What's on your wish list?

A shop or area so I don't have to set everything up and teardown when I want to forge. My biggest problem is in the winter its difficult to run the forge in the garage since its attached to the house. I dont want to cut big holes in the roof or wall for a ventilation hood.

At this point... a proper stand, forge table, and workbench. Due to financial restraints I'm working with a makeshift anvil anchored in the ground and a brake drum forge also in the ground. Feels like I'm doing more work than necessary just to get the basics down.

• 1 month later...

My Shop is full, ... so any additional equipment will force a serious redesign of the Shop Layout.

For that reason, ... the only major items under consideration, are a Power Hammer, ... and an Ironworker.

I'll probably build a "Tire Hammer" myself, ... thus allowing an easier integration into the existing Layout.

I can't really justify the cost of an Ironworker, ... but the appearance of a "good deal", could easily change my opinion on that.  :P

Just last Summer, I "missed" a local "Scotchman" Ironworker, ... for $900.00  ... you snooze, you lose  :( <_<

Someday, patience, ... ready cash, ... and decisiveness, ... will come together to resolve that issue.

• 8 months later...

Youth; while I certainly enjoyed misspending it I would have chosen to misspent it in different ways...I would have started smithing a decade earlier for instance.

If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have learned from those mistakes.