I Forge Iron

Story behind your screen name?

Glenn

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quenchcrack: seemed the logical moniker of someone who spent most of his professional career heat treating tools for the oil industry. We used a modified 4145 for drill collars (4"-12" diameter, 32 feet long) and we water quenched it. We did this to develop the properties as deep as possible. Yep, we had more than a few quenchcracks. I have photos of 12" x 32' bars split clean in half the long way. I hope most of you already know me a Bob Nichols.

Slob has been my nickname since sometime in highschool. it was given to me by my best friend (aka Maggot) and it just sorta stuck. alot of people refused to call me it feeling it was offensive or a slam at me.....but I dont take it that way. there are still alot of people I met that only know me as Slob and not my real name.

Rob

I like those stories about the little elves doing the shoemaker's work while he was sleeping and that sort of folklore, so I thought to myself, "hey, there's an idea that might work"! It was also the one nickname I thought up that no one had ever used before anywhere (zero google finds) :)

I did think about using my name, but Jo

Just wanted something I could use that wasn't out there. I tell it like it is (candid) and I work in quality. Seemed to fit. My friends from childhood know me as Jimmy. Actual name is James Moran. Didn't want to be known as the "other" moran. So I use this for now. Feel free to call me Jim, James, Jimmy.

Ive been a computer geek for ages. Years ago I was setting up some servers and had to name them. I like the phonetic sound of 'regional chaos', so I choose to name some servers that. Eventually I snapped up regionalchaos.net to host my website. I try to use the same name across different forums and resources, that way I don't have to remember a million different names. Now I would probably choose something more professional or mainstream, but hey, it is what it is!

I'm yet another Jim.

G'day all,
Well, the story for me is that Gobinu is a Celtic God of iron working, among other things. Seemed pretty topical around here, as with others I've been around the net for a long time and have found that Peter is almost always taken and my other handle does not fit in all places.

I refuse to post too much detail about myself on-line, especially in heavily searchable forums such as here at iforgeiron(I just did a goodle hit for Gobinu and my profile came up number one, for example) I've seen too many people get hurt, or fleeced by giving out just a little too much information. Even simple things like talking about the weather or the colour of your house can, to the right crazy mind, be used against you.

It amuses me to see this discussion here as the wife just went through something similar on another forum. The upshot of it being the answer to the question "How can I possible judge your work if I don't know who you really are?"

The answer: "If you cannot judge a work of art without a name but based solely on the art and what it says, perhaps you aren't ready to judge."

Wow, that was almost as heavy as that new anvil I have.
Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Wim is my name. It stands for "Winning In Metal". My Dad had a strange foresight at the time of my birth, that I was gonna be a Blacksmith.
Actually not, Wim stands for my name, Wim, short for Willem, which is dutch for William. I believe is means protector.

I play SCA and I go by Solvarr Hammarsson. Solvarr was the only norse name my friends didn't laugh at right off the bat. (they had been calling me Xavier for years and I wanted to change my focus) Also my wife and I help run a Japanese Culture festival every year where everyone still calls me Xav so a third name comes in handy for knowing what a phone call is for.

I am a bass guitarist. This used to be my profession; now it's a paying hobby. You gotta love hobbies that pay for themselves.

Anyway, often groups will introduce the band members during the performance. One night, the singer was introducing the band, and when he got to me, he said, "...and on the bottom, we got 'em. Bass in your face." For the non-musical, being on the bottom refers to the bassist's function of providing the low frequency tones that make guitarists and singers more tolerable. ;>)

So, for some reason, from that night on, musicians in the area have called me Bottomgottem.

That's the story.

Well, I play with fire for fun and I'm a girl and I'm a red head and have been known on occasion to give firey impassioned speeches on subjects I feel strongly about...(aka having a bit of a temper!) so it seemed to fit...besides when I tell people I'm Hope Frost I get relegated to "Oh you're Jack's wife" instead of being seen as a smith of my own merit.

Names of things surrounds my wife Jan and I. When we built our home 16 year ago we decided to call the property The Flat Frog Farm. The reason is we have 3 ponds on or around our property that attract an amazing population of green and tree frogs. In the spring there are two matings about 2-3 weeks apart. When its ove there is a black slick around the perimeter of the pond, full of tadpoles...around June they emerge...thousands of little eraser head size frogs all over the place well between flattening them on the driveway and walking around the pond this left tens of thousands of FLAT FROGS, hence. Then we had an old RV that had more running lights on than a christmas tree and we had some pretty serious weather in our travels but the RV always protected us just like Rosie the maid on the Jetsons, so Rosie became her name and lives on today 2 RV's later. So My wife Jan and my daughter Jenny and our '67 Harley Davidson Golf cart named Elroy we had the whole family. Me, I am Fat Pete. I also have an interest in music Fat Pete Records. Some where in my forties I reach my largest size and since then have lost 80 pounds. was always a big guy but due to some health problems I gained an enormous amount of weight...well now I aint so fat but the name stuck...so after boring you good people for so long we decided to name the garage the Flat Frog Forge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I first discovered this site I logged in and joined right away. I did not "ghost" and lay back in the shadows as so many do. When prompted in the log in process the system asked for a screename. In an instant I thought of something to do with iron- "Ferrous", i.e. "iron". And in the same instant I clicked with an old memory from some twenty years ago, a movie called "Ferris Beuler's day off". That movie came out in 1985 or so, the year I graduated from high school. It was a movie about some kids skipping school for a day and what they did, became something of a cult classic.
"Ferris Beuler" was the star character of the film played by Matthew Broderick.
A year or two later when I was in the Marines I went with some buddies on a "booze cruise" off the island of Oahu, 3 hours on a boat with a live band and a bar. This was about the time another movie, "Biloxi blues" was out, also starring Matthew Broderick. It was a movie about boot camp in ww2. My own mother said I looked like the guy in the movie. The night on the booze cruise, on the boat, I got asked for "my" autograph. This person thought I was Matthew Broderick because of the military haircut and the striking resemblance to me and him at the time the movie was out. If you see the markee poster from that film, it's pretty much me. Mirror image. Wierd. So when I got prompted for a screename the notion of someting to do with iron, "ferrous" became "Ferrous Beuler". I always liked the movie "Ferris Beuler's day off", did lots of the same stuff when I was in school at that time but never made the connection until my own mom told me on the phone to go check out some movie that was out with a guy in it that looked like me. Screen names can be fun I guess and I'd never used one on the net before but I got tired of it and it seemed silly. I am who I am so I just dumped it and opted for my real name. Dan

JAFO: Just Another Xxxxxxx Observer.
Military slang for an unwanted passenger in a small aircraft.
I have a tendency to hang in the background of any new group or group I'm considering taking part in just listening and observing before taking an active part.
Thats why we live in a county that has no movie theaters, no mall's, only three stop lights and the first Wal Mart just opened last year and we have a bear problem even though we're only 23 miles south of the state capital.