I Forge Iron

What size anvil you use the most?

105 members have voted

1. 1. What size anvil do you use the most?

• 50 pounds (22 kg) and under
    • 50 to 100 pounds (22 to 45 kg)
    • 100 to 150 pounds (45 to 68 kg)
    • 150 to 200 pounds (68 to 90 kg)
    • 200 to 300 pounds (90 to 136 kg)
    • 300 to 400 pounds (136 to 181 kg)
    • 400 to 500 pounds (181 to 226 kg)
    • 500 to 1000 pounds (226 to 453 kg)
    • 1000 pounds and over (over 453 kg))

I just picked up a Fisher that's in the 300-350 range and it's become my go-to anvil.   While I don't need an anvil this big, having learned on and worked with anvils far lighter, I really appreciate how the extra mass helps move the hot metal.  And being a quiet anvil is truly a blessing.  Now, I'm spoiled!

I had a 500lb'er for 30 some years and my 165 for nearly as long....One day it dawned on me that I'd been walking around the 500 to get to the 165 98% of the time all those years and decided to sell the 5, or maybe it was just downsizing..... ^_^

I have my 300# Fisher and 150# Fisher next to each other. I'd sell the 150# Fisher and save the space if the 300#r wasn't missing 4" of the horn.
Well. Maybe not actually sell my other anvil. :)
As it is, I mounted the 150# 2-1/2" higher. I use it for the slower, gentler shaping heats.

I have a 504lbs 4.5cwt as my main anvil but a very close second that sits adjacent to it is a 112 lb (1cwt), that has nice crisp edges. I use the edges on the smaller one,  but I like having a large face to work on for my main one especially when I am working on larger sculptural shapes, (big leaves etc) I also like having the two sizes of horn to work from. Why do I have those sizes? Because when I was looking to buy an anvil, the 4.5cwt was the first one that I went to see, and a while after that the farmer where my workshop was offered the smaller one to me at a price I couldn't refuse! :)

I've got 3 now. It was 2 but I stumbled across a big chain makers / wheel wrights anvil for an absolute bargain price so had to get it.

My main user has been a 138lb'er for the last 5 years or so. It was simple the first anvil I found that I could afford at the time!

Then I decided to get a larger one which is a 262lb PW. which is sadly sat at the folks place not getting used.

The newest and largest one has no marks on it what so ever but I can lift the Peter wright (just) but I can't lift this new beast so it must be heavier.... Right?

The smallest one is being sold to make space. A decision I'm sure I will live to regret.

Andy

Wow, lots of really big anvils here.  Mine is an Incandescent Ironworks 242 lb Papa Rhino Anvil.  They are made in the US now but mine is one of the ones made in China.  Which is fine by me.  It gets the job done.  At the time it was the best solution for me for a good sized anvil.  I am very happy with it.

Hay-Budden 128#

I used to use a 168# home made anvil because I could not afford a "real" anvil.  The HB came available from an old Blacksmith friend and the price was well below market.  I was lucky, and I am very happy with it, niccs, wear, and it is all set for a right hander which I am not but I work around it and will not change it.