I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Demos, I couldn't seem to bribe any of my friends with beers to come lift heavy things that day, so I hit the local Listings and found the roughest cheapest hoist I could find. Made it a breeze. And I am thankful to my friends for declining my offer, now I have a hoist and a six pack of frosty ones. Hahahah

Deimos,  sorry for the typo, last response, auto correct you know. I bet there was a bit of hassle getting an anvil out of a trunk. 

Well I got a temporary stand put together and she is all settled in to her new spot for now. At some point down the road will fabricate a steel stand for it. But I want to dial in a proper working height and get a feel for what will work best. So now it's back to the day job for the week. Hopefully I'll get to fire up the forge next week. 20210223_175559.jpg.f8692c5b4d9d2fd032f66cff5a010911.jpg

I just picked up this Henry Wright with a nice pretty stand.  It's been repaired, but it's got near perfect rebound all across the face and beautiful edges.  Whoever repaired it did it right.  I hate to say it, but now I'm thinking about selling my Hay Budden now to make room!

IMG_3692.thumb.jpg.3c5247218aafcf3a869be03df76cc739.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

Edited by Mike Flynn
Resized Photos

Pretty close, yes.  I prefer mine higher than most folks and it's definitely in the right range.  I'm going to weld some tool hangers onto it, but other than that it's good as-is.  The anvil didn't budge even when I laid it on its side for transport.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:31 AM, pnut said:

Nice tool. I'm envious. I'm  hoping my little accaio anvil will attract other anvils like a duck decoy attracts ducks hahahaha. 

Pnut

Ah! What you need is an anvil call. It's like a duck call, but with a bit more 'ring' than 'quack'. Anvils can't resist while in migration season.

M.G., my condolences to your blue hatchback and its suspension, may it r.i.p.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Flatliner!  I read up on them in AiA and there's very little info.  Just says it was cast steel made in the 20s for Sears.  Do you know that they were made by Columbian, or do you recall where to find the info?

A while back while browsing in an antique mall, a gentleman noticed I was carrying a vice & mentioned I should take a look at a couple he had in his booth. We struck up a conversation & I told him my wife, 3 boys and I were getting into smithing and in the market for a reasonably priced anvil. He really liked the idea of involving the entire family and said when we were done browsing to meet him in the parking lot. We finished up, went outside and located him standing next to his truck with the tailgate down and several smaller anvils peeking out the back. Long story short, we bought a 40# Vulcan I figured would be perfect for my boys, and he invited me out to his place sometime to look at some bigger ones. So several days ago we took him up on the offer and here's our new baby lol! After all the searching I'd done and the prices I'd seen, I felt $2.25/lb was more than reasonable. I've been told it's a 1860-1892 model, can anyone offer any more info?

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg