I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

A person can ruin anything if they want to..  Does the farrier respect his tools?  I doubt it..  to him it's just a tool to be used and discarded. 

Most farriers I knew had no problem cutting a deep groove into a new/old anvil to make a pritchel groove or a wedge shape so the shoes don't get damaged as much.. 

I wouldn't consider a farrier a blacksmith by any measure..  Nor a person to represent a whole group..  Look at the WCB all their anvils are in great shape and they use them crazy like. 

So, what does this mean..   You decide.   All my anvils are totally clean..  What does that mean. You decide.. 

Anvils don't come damaged..  

So then "Who" does the damage..   The user..  The Refflinghaus is 64Hrc..  No chips.. And... 

2 hours ago, Tellburkett said:

I never work cold metal unless its thin (ladle bowls and such). 

Soft metal against a hardened piece, the soft metal will always deflect. 

Where the problem comes in is when hard metal is hit against hard metal..  IE hammer face, sledge hammer face, etc, etc. 

I've created offset in cold metal from sheet to 1/4" thick with no problems.. 

Problem is if skills are not good enough to keep the hardened metal of a hammer away or separate from the anvil. 

Otherwise in 40 years have never seen a mild steel chip a corner on an anvil. 

Irondragon: That's very cool to know. I was not aware who the distributer was.

JLP: Yes, it is the underside of a barn. It's not heated, but unless it's an especially cold day it isn't too much of an issue. Because it's mostly underground it stays a bit warmer than outdoors on cold days, and it also stays comparatively cool in the summer. It's a pretty nice place to work!

This is my (guesstimate) 60 kg old European church window anvil I saved from a scrapper for 50 euros. The heel with the hardy hole is broken off, but the face is in top condition considering its age. On these old anvils the date of manufacturing was often engraved on the far side where the church window is located. If this date is right the anvil was made in 1778.

I'm glad I stopped by the scrapyard before it was destroyed for good. And its great to be able to work on a literal piece of history.

Currently the anvil is securely mounted to the stump with metal straps (not in the picture).

Job

IMG-20200715-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.f568c6291ec8caa074678ddeb1d78e0d.jpeg

IMG-20200716-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by Jobtiel1
Removed duplicate picture

JHCC: it did! I have been visiting for 2 years now, and actively looking for blacksmithing tools for the past half year.

Thomaspowers: while I have been lucky with the anvil, the scrapyard is quite small.  They fish out any interesting pieces of scrap like the anvil and any pieces of normal stock. But for things like leaf springs or interesting tools, the entire scrap yard "renews" itself daily. While this allows constant new additions, I can't visit often enough.

Excellent!

As far as farriers being blacksmiths well i look at them, me included, as a specialty of the blacksmiths craft. Anybody who spends 8/10 hours a day making a living between hammer and anvil beating iron hot or cold certainly in my book is a modern day working blacksmith. 

I do my best to not make judgments. Especially to lable a whole group by the actions of a few.