I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Can you tell if the pritchel hole was originally punched or drilled as a retrofit?

Is your dating done by comparing the logo and the dates?

Yes that is what I was going off of. If there is a better way I'm all ears. To my eye I do not see any indication that it was punched, I will take a good picture of the underside a d see what you guys think.

4 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

That’s A Very nice anvil Justin! How is the rebound? 

Thank you, I honestly don't know what to compare it with. I should probably do some research on what is good or bad rebound. Is there a simple test? Also what affects the rebound over the years?

Drop a 1/2 -3/4 inch dia. hardened ball bearing from 10" away.  Using your tape measure or ruler, the inches bounced back up x10 is the percent of rebound.  If the hardened face has delamination from the base or if it has been through a fire, the rebound will be reduced.

George, there's two conversations going on about crinoids at the same time here.  What are the odds.... :)   Look over at the tail end of "Testing hammer accuracy" under the "general discussion" forum.  Just don't get any ticks on you......  

In the geologic time scale (the system of dating the age of the Earth and the rocks that make it up), time is divided into eons, eras, periods, epochs, and ages. We are currently living in the Meghalayan Age of the Holocene Epoch of the Quaternary Period of the Cenozoic Era of the Phanerozoic Eon. There is some debate as to whether we are actually in an "Anthropocene Age" which would be defined as starting around 1950, the point at which human activity began to have a significant impact on the Earth's geology and ecosystems.

JHCC, thank you for the information but to be honest that just confused me more.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if I was to compare eons, eras, periods, epochs, and ages,

to our everyday time measurement of hour, day, week, month, and year then a epoch would be the month,

but what I don’t understand how long is an epoch? 10k, 100k or more or less in years?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree and it’s not that kind of measurement? 

TW, yes and no. Yes, in that each of those is a component of one (or more) of the others. Days are made up of hours, years are made up of months, etc. No, in that -- unlike our everyday time measurements -- the units of the geologic time scale are not of fixed length. Instead of an eon or an epoch lasting for a set amount of time, they are defined by significant events or changes that can be seen in the geological record. For example, the boundary between the Cretaceous and Paleogene periods is the "Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction event" that wiped out three quarters of life on earth (including the dinosaurs). The Paleogene ended with the "Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum", where rising atmospheric temperatures led to major changes in the number and types of mammals on land as well as the extinction of large numbers of single-celled organisms in the oceans. 

So yes, it's a good analogy, but it's not a precise analogy.

I hope that helps.

JHCC, Okay I think I get it now it’s not an exact measurement of time it’s more of a measurement of events in time?

Thanks for explaining that to me but I think I got some more reading to do. Sorry for all the questions, 

I rebuild carburetors on small engines for a living so I’m not quite up to snuff on this kinda stuff lol, 

Nodebt, I’m glad you used that word or I never would have learned anything about it today! So don’t apologize! 

Yes, that's right. It's like the reigns of the kings and queens of England: you can talk about something happening in the Elizabethan Era (the reign of Queen Elizabeth I from 1533 to 1603), the Victorian Era (the reign of Queen Victoria from 1819 to 1901), the Georgian Era (the reigns of Kings George I, II, III, & IV from 1714 to 1830), and so on.

John, to pick a historical nit, Elizabeth I lived from 1533-1603 but reigned from 1558-1603 and  Victoria lived from 1819-1901 but reigned from 1837-1901.  The Georgian Era is probably more comparable with the Tudor Era  (1485-1603) or the Stuart Period (1603-1714) than to the reign of an individual monarch within those time periods.  

A small quibble, to be sure, but I am feeling picky this evening. ;-)

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George, you’re quite right about the dates; I sit corrected. However, the length of Elizabeth’s and Victoria’s reigns certainly has qualified them for epochal nomenclature of their own. The same could not be said of Elizabeth's older brother Edward VI, and the term "Edwardian Era" would have to wait until the reign of Victoria's son Edward VII.

SLAG, William was decidedly NOT a Stuart, although Mary was; he was Duke of Orange in the Netherlands. James II (the last reigning Stuart king) was deposed by the Glorious Revolution of 1688. The last reigning Stuart monarch was Mary’s sister Anne, who succeeded to the throne when William died in 1702. Mary had died in 1684; she and William had no children. 

After Anne’s death in 1714, she was succeeded by George I of the House of Hanover.