I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Coincidentally, for many years I attended the Episcopal Church of St. Charles the Martyr, aka King Charles II, one of the more obscure Episcopalian Saints, in Ft. Morgan, CO.

The story goes that the parish was originally named St. Paul's (there are an amazing number of St. Paul's parishes in the Episcopal Church) and when a new church was built in the 1950s the Priest wanted and got a new and unique saint and name.  There are a few other St. Charles parishes around but IIRC fewer than a half dozen.

So, I guess that makes me tend more Royalist than Parliamentarian.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Also you can think about time like some cultures do where they "restart" the calendar with the ascension of a new ruler and so the chronicles would be to the effect of "During the sixth year of the reign of  Anvil the steadfast, on the feast of the Moon of the Loonies there occurred  a most grievous occurrence when due to the consumption of a surfeit of lampreys washed down with the waters of the slake tub, the high counselor of the realm told the Emperor the truth!"

I'm a little surprised nobody's brought up Egyptian "periods." Deems every scholar to make a "significant" contribution to the study of the Egyptian empire named a period. I don't think they've even agreed if they're periods or ages or . . .?

Frosty The Lucky.

Ancient Egyptian history is generally divided into eleven Periods: Predynastic, Early Dynastic, Old Kingdom, First Intermediate, Middle Kingdom, Second Intermediate, New Kingdom, Third Intermediate, Late, Ptolemaic, and Roman. Most of these are further subdivided into the various dynasties that were in power at specific times; the Intermediate Periods were all characterized by the absence of stable dynasties in both Upper and Lower Egypt (these being geographic distinctions rather than chronological).

On 12/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, ThomasPowers said:

My blacksmithing cone mandrel is the penetrator from a ballistic missile---fellow showed up at Quad-State one year with a flatbed load of ones that had failed Q/C. Wish I had bought a dozen of them!

I know this post is super old but since I’m relatively new here I like going back and reading as much as I can - but that’s the coolest thing I’ve ever hear and I want one!

They are on the secondary market nowadays; I never saw a second load come to Q-S.

Just like the time a flatbed load of concrete filled swageblocks showed up at Q-S.  They were tearing down an old factory that made swageblocks and found that the "seconds" had been used as fill when they went to cast another concrete floor.  Those "seconds" sure looked better than most used firsts I've seen lately. (Of course you would have to chip out all the concrete in the holes...)

It was a sad day when I realized that I had more and better tools than my Father did. I will always thank his memory that he raised me to believe that I could *do* things with my hands and could research and experiment and learn how to do things on my own.

Now as I grow older; I'm quite happy to pay other people to do my waste water plumbing and car repairs; but knowing at least the basics makes it easier to tell when things are being done correctly!

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all; it’s a perfectly acceptable anvil material, regardless of your intended use. Plus, I doubt you’ll ever find such a good deal on a 260lb anvil again, and certainly not on a new one. Go for it. 

Keep us posted!

(Side note: when I first read your comment above, I was not aware that “Competitor“ was the name of a JHM anvil model. Instead, I assumed that it was from a business in competition with JHM and wondered why you didn’t just say the name of the company! :D)