I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Flyboy, ductile iron won't have as much rebound as an anvil with a hardened steel face. Knowing that ahead of time makes the rebound test less important. Maybe someone with with a JHM can offer a more accurate number based on their experience, but I would expect something in the ballpark of 60-75%.

That number doesn't necessarily make it a "bad anvil", it's just a likely reality with ductile iron. 

Ductile iron likely suffers from being associated in people's minds with normal cast iron. That and having heard so much talk of cheap Chinese cast iron anvils. Fairly common problem with other things.

A good example is the Ford Taurus vs the Ford Tempo. The Taurus was a fairly decent car while the Tempo was awful. People would get the two confused or would think the Taurus was just a bigger Tempo. 

I will bring up the question again of how many anvils a smith needs.  A smith working by him/her self probably needs no more than 2-3 IMO.  A smith who is teaching will need enough for however many students he or she will be teaching at one time.

And, I can see grabbing an anvil at a decent price if you have the intent of passing it on to a new anvil-less smith.

Rescuing an anvil which would otherwise be headed for a scrapper is also a worthy motivation.

Flipping, particularly at an inflated price, or hoarding leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

I recognize that there is a valid argument that if a person has the money they have a perfect right to collect whatever they want but that still leaves me cold.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."