I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"It is easier to ask forgiveness, than permission." Rear Admiral Grace Hopper (USN)

"You only have one chance to overdo something.  After that you're just fixing it." -My Dad as told to him by my Grandpa

"You CAN fix stupid if you break things down 'Barney Style'.  You CAN turn clumsiness into perfection through perfect practice and perfect repetition.  You CAN NOT fix willful ignorance or sheer laziness." -One of my old Marine Staff NCOs

Yada, Yada, "Black, Hot, Hard, Heavy, Sharp, AND/OR Dangerous" etc., etc. -Most likely every person to ever teach blacksmithing.

Nobody Special
to misquote a blues song, i love silver, and i love tin....but the way i love iron, ya know it's a sin

messing with an acetylene tank is a good way to retroactively cancel your birth certificate! Thomas Powers

Buy a shirt before you go into business for yourself.

At some point you will loose the one you have.

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

You must start somewhere. After that you modify, change, build, rebuild, etc as you learn what works, and what works better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend was over at the shop today. He leaned against the anvil and said he was thinking about calling it a day. I asked if the anvil was burning his rump at all and he replied "no". So I said "Then get back to work. If you can lean on that anvil without burning yourself, You haven't worked hard enough today". He laughed, I scowled and we got another 4 hours out of the day. Nice day too. 

And some of them are right!  Ask about their tools!

Exactly! "Do you have any of his tools?" Is my stock answer to the old, "My Grandfather was a blacksmith," statement.

Some can be pretty obnoxious telling me how someone else does IT. I've never had a taker when I offered them the hammer. A spectator has to be pretty obnoxious for me to do that though.

My Great Grand Uncle Bert Hickson was a Railroad and lumber mill millwright. I must be doing something wrong I don't feel qualified for either in any way. :(

Frosty The Lucky.