I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It doesn't have to be pretty to work well, just to sell" DF in the shop.

Littleblacksmith 

• 1 month later...

"Dang it. Frosty shows up and I wander off-topic like a cow with amnesia."-Ohio

I couldn't help it, I just loved what he said.

littleblacksmith 

A friend from Iowa used to go to northern Missouri every fall to help on his uncle's farm. HIs uncle used a sythe and it was noted that every 10 to 15 minutes or so, the sythe was stood upside down on its snath and the blade given a number of strokes with the whet stone. My friend said to his uncle, "Gee unc, you sure do sharpen that blade a lot," to which his uncle replied, "AIN'T NO TIME LOST IN THE WHETTING."

I got into the craft wanting to make my own blades and so save the "ridiculous prices" of highly trained makers.  I now realize that I could have skipped blacksmithing and mowed lawns and bought some of the fanciest swords out there and come out way ahead on time and money! I also know that I would not have traded the last few decades forging on my own for a stack of top maker swords laid flat and as tall as I am!   - Thomas Powers

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

Wouldn't that be badges then?

Not necessarily. "Minutiae are the badges" would imply that each minutia is itself an individual badge, whereas "Minutiae are the badge" implies that minutiae collectively are one single badge. One could avoid the ambiguity by saying "An obsession with minutiae is the badge of the incompetent" (singular "obsession" takes singular "is"), which would also better convey the original writer's intent. However, since "Minutiae" is plural, it must take a plural verb when serving as the subject of the sentence.

1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

Badges?   Badges?  We don't need no stinking badges!

Or badgers, for that matter.

29 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Not necessarily. "Minutiae are the badges" would imply that each minutia is itself an individual badge, whereas "Minutiae are the badge" implies that minutiae collectively are one single badge. One could avoid the ambiguity by saying "An obsession with minutiae is the badge of the incompetent" (singular "obsession" takes singular "is"), which would also better convey the original writer's intent. However, since "Minutiae" is plural, it must take a plural verb when serving as the subject of the sentence.

Thanks for the clarification.  I wonder if there are any other blacksmithing forums where one can get quality grammar instruction free of charge.  :)

30 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Or badgers, for that matter.

A fan of UHF perhaps?