• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Anti spatter spray,

A good replacement if you can’t find any is the non stick spray for pans when cooking. My old welding rep told me about it in the 80’s, all I’ve used since 

I’d hate to be riding in that wagon during certain times of the season 

I was very surprised to see this waiting outside my shop when I got home.

913EA0CD-7165-4B84-A033-1F522659CAA8.jpeg.d24def0f08f6b649dffe009912ba4911.jpeg
Ordered Saturday and was supposed to call for delivery…

Just got to make some time to get it setup. Then, the real work will start.

Keep it fun,

David

Yessir, grew up playing in the car on road trips. And I'm a young-un! But thankfully raised before the widespread iPad pacifier thing these days, glad to have been sent outside to play. Didn't get allowance either, had to go pick weeds for that. Now I have to pick weeds for free since I'm all grown up and the yard doesn't take care of itself! :wacko:

Good eye Daswulf. Gantry, trolley, and chain hoist all rates at 2tons. I have to move, disassemble my power hammer, fill the base with sand and actually anchor it down. (It bounces about quite a bit, and it’s kept from walking by a come-along in the gonitas. Just  to make-shift to stay that way) After 800lbs of sand in the base it will be right at 2ton, if I need to move it again. Properly mounted and with the sand, it should be a bit quieter and be more efficient.

Keep it fun,

David

Thomas, you always find good usable stuff.  Are sales anywhere at QS or are they in a certain location at certain times? Never been there but trying to go this year if the stars align. Have a bunch I could try to sell as well, if I make it. I'd have to camp out so just wondering since I couldn't find too much on it. Pretty sure I could find some people i know to steer me in the right direction once I got there. 

Goods,those are good for so much more too. A good investment.

There are a few official vendors (i.e., those who paid for dedicated indoor space) but anyone can tailgate. Some people are only there to sell; others are just want to cover some of their expenses. A lot of people just put their stuff out with a coffee can for payments on the honor system; I’ve done that with good success. 

Thanks for some insight John. Much appreciated. Yeah, I'd just be looking to make some stuff available to help cover expenses. Not a major seller. I'd be going to observe and learn. No doubt meet people "even through my barrier of social anxiety", and have fun. Get a few drinks in me and the social barrier starts to fade. Tho, I prefer to keep myself in check till later in the evening. Never really had much issue at blacksmith meets.  

Uh, can you forge at the camp sites? 

Yes, lots of folks do that. Brian and Ed Brazeal do that every year, and lots of other folks do as well. Mark Ling (AKA littleblacksmith) did last year, but he's actually demonstrating this year.

For sales, I've had good luck with a few big-ticket items and a lot of useful stuff that's cheap enough (comparatively) for an impulse buy. Last year, my big-tickets were a Starrett machinist's vise and a Ridgid pipe vise stand, and the others were some 4140 hammer blanks, various safety gear I'd bought in bulk at the industrial surplus place, some extra books from my library, some wire brushes, some bits of oxyfuel gear that didn't fit my torch, and some other bits and pieces I'd picked up along the way. I try to keep my eye out for things that I'm pretty sure will resell at profit for me but below retail for the buyer, and then I go spend the money on fun stuff for me!

It’s in Troy this year? Where is the closest commercial airport the majors fly to? We still have two tickets to use before the end of the year. COVID killed our trip to Miami in 2020. Thankfully my wife always gets refundable tickets. 

$20 today on Facebook Marketplace. Didn’t need it, but they aren’t making more, so……

So the skein is the end of the axle that the box slides over? Anyway, I think they are cast, whatever they are. They are cone shaped things inside the hub. Do they have any use outside of their original purpose?

F17F8766-C7A7-43CD-9AE1-E2B901B420FF.jpeg

20 minutes ago, DHarris said:

Where is the closest commercial airport the majors fly to?

American, Delta, Southwest, United, and US Airways fly into Dayton (DAY), which is about 20 minutes away. Columbus (CMH) is another hour away, and you can get there on American, United, Delta, Air Canada, Jet Airways (India), Lufthansa, British Airways, and Virgin Atlantic.

Thanks for the info Thomas. 

DHarris, a rival at auctions once told me (paraphrased as I remember)  " they are still making money, but they arnt making any more of these antiques."

Get it while you can if you can justify it. 

Shainarue, chain is expensive new. I never pass on a deal on chain, especially if it has hooks on the ends. That stuff is way too useful in many ways.