• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice score! Was it a good price? Don't worry about replacing the "little table" that's the mounting plate and obviously not original to the vise. Make one that suits the location you wish to  mount it. 

Height depends on what you plan on using it for. If you want to do hand work in it like a bench vise than the top of the jaws should be about elbow height with your arms at your side. If on the other hand you wish to do hammering in it then you want it close to anvil height. Probably about where the bottom of the leg rests on the floor now.

This of course depends on YOUR height and comfort ranges.

Of course those are just my opinions. I could be wrong. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Very nice find. If I get a couple more orders, I think I might keep an eye out for a vise with a shortened or missing leg, as my current vise (which I otherwise love) is rather too tall for comfortable pounding. 

I have a small wooden platform stashed by the heavy pounding vise to use when doing heavy work and want the vise "lower".  Students are amazed what another 4-6 inches can do for them when needing to hammer down on stuff.

(Of course I tell them that if they fall off the platform and break their leg, a horse farm is 10' to the east and there is an arroyo running through it...)

Nice score on the vise!

I went to multiple flea markets last weekend. I happened to come across a cast iron figure of some blacksmiths at work, couldn't let that sit there! I also got a small square, a wooden plane, and some auger bits for the hand drill.

IMG_20220821_204248.thumb.jpg.9cac03cc23ade92504af5b4d628fccf3.jpg

~Jobtiel

Yeah I agree, it's not something you think about and interesting to see the process like this. It looks to be somewhat true to how it used to be done too with the different tools and stuff.

I'm still deciding how I will mount it, either with some forged hardware, or mounted onto something wooded and then nailed to the wall with forged nails. I do have to make sure it can't fall off. I will mount it in the shed on the wall across my anvil.

~Jobtiel

Attended an estate sale on Saturday and scored a few things.  I primarily went to it as I was interested in the power hammer that was for sale but it was highly valued by the seller and not really one that i had ever considered (see my other post in the power hammer forum).  I made an offer of $1000 for it after I got home and after doing some research but didn't find much (like nothing) about that particular hammer.  It sold for $1700 on Sunday in any case so no more consideration required.  I am headed back there today to pick through the leftovers today.  There is a large swage block and stand that had a low earth orbit price at the official sale that I think is still there so maybe the price has become reasonable.  Also there is a piece of plate that is maybe 2.5" thick by 2.5'x 4'  that would make a great shop table but I a have no place for it and moving it would be a serious task given what I have available to work with.

Curious that the stakes made by Pexto have no vertical posts for the stake plate and look like they never had any.  The two wheeled thing in the second picture is a Portaband that came with 6 new blades.   I was bummed to learn that somebody had gone through my big canvas hopping bag and took two wood handle punches that were new and I paid for them.  The really large calipers are Brown & Sharpe.  Also not very visible is a high lift jack.  I can't say how much I paid for fear of being arrested.

100_0223.JPG

100_0224.JPG

100_0225.JPG

Ain’t No stores in peavine, I literally have the only business here an we only stock belts and carb kits,

they prolly have it in town in stilwell an Westville but considering fuel prices cost more to drive to town and back then I paid for the wax,

it’s just as easy an cheap to stay home an wait on the free shipping,;)

besides it gives the rural carriers a job!

Goods,

Wally World!!! are you crazy?!?!:blink:

i cant go in there and come back out again for less than the cost of a used anvil!!! Lol

we already order stuff online pretty regularly so it nothin to throw somethin extra on the shipment an just wait a day or two for it to show up,

Besides not all of us have a fuel efficient moose an cart to get us to town an back! :P