• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sale day at the industrial surplus place. I got one big purchase that I’ll be posting later, but in the meantime, here’s a couple of smaller things. First, a box of random wrenches and other fun bits of steel:

E47F0F22-3627-4C73-9A20-9E4D641F56BC.jpeg

Second, a nearly new Metabo angle grinder:

4B42B695-F0FA-4B2C-9E10-9E6347D4F126.jpeg

Just under $30 for everything. 

Oh, but it gets better. The big purchase was this: a nice little fly press from the McWilliams Manufacturing Company, complete with its own stand. The screw is 1-9/16”, which I believe would make this a #1. The weight and depth stop are missing and the arm is broken, but I’ve got plans for that. The screw is in great shape, and the movement is smooth as silk. Even if it’s not a well-known brand, I’d still say I got a pretty good deal for $289. 

27C7DFD6-4545-4562-8D2B-8D31C4EFCA5B.jpeg

BCA4F731-EBB6-4235-B22E-80FB15560BEC.jpeg

A0D4E2AB-84A7-44FC-B355-64EAED58FF29.jpeg

5C0B4397-8922-435A-AB44-845496A0F7FD.jpeg

F6584A0D-40F1-4DBA-8B10-E28A8E949F58.jpeg

3DF382C3-80A6-495D-88EB-1225ADA48F31.jpeg

Nice score John. The arm could be repaired a few different ways.  Then you,ll have lots of tooling to make lol. 

I don't even see those things around here. Which is weird since the pittsburgh area is a steel town. 

That actually doesn’t surprise me too much. You’d expect to see these more in areas that specialize in precision manufacturing (like central Connecticut or Rhode Island) rather than those that specialize in the production of raw materials. That’s just a guess, though.

5 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

The arm could be repaired a few different ways.

I’m thinking of fitting a chunk of C-channel over the arm and bolting it solidly in place. (I have no faith in my ability to weld cast iron.) Then I’ll weld a vertical piece of pipe out at the end, to hold about 20lbs of barbell plates.  

Just found this interesting corporate profile of the McWilliams company in “Industries and Wealth of the Principal Points in Rhode Island, being the city of Providence, Pawtucket, Central Falls, Woonsocket, Newport, Narragansett Pier, Bristol & Westerly”, published in New York by A. F. Parsons Publishing Co., 1892 

“McWILLIAMS MANUFACTURING COMPANY, Machinists', Jewelers', Tools, Special Machinery, and Watch Case Makers' Machinery, No. 237 Eddy Street.  --  The McWilliams Manufacturing Company, carrying on their operations in this city at No. 237 Eddy Street, have long been well and favorably known all over the United States, more particularly in this section of New England, as general machinists and manufacturers; and they are now the center of a national trade of considerable magnitude and importance, making a leading specialty of the furnishing of jewelers' shops out and out, complete with all machines, tools and appliances. In addition to jewelers' tools, and special machinery of any kind, the chief lines of manufacture are watch case makers' machinery, patent presses, cutter holders, patent polishing machines, hardened steel rolls from one to ten inches in diameter, drops, hand and power presses, draw benches, rotary shears, rotary solder cutters, upright drills, sawing and milling rests, bench lathes, and ingot molds.  These are, one and all, of the latest improved pattern, and constructed on the best-known principles; and any invention of a valid nature for saving time or labor, or for ensuring better or more uniform results, is adopted in the goods turned out, as soon as it is introduced.  The undertaking was founded in 1875, under the same style; and the treasurer, Mr. John McWilliams, possesses a long and varied practical experience in the trade ranging over a period of thirty years.  Mr. John McWilliams has been a member of the city government for four years, and has been Collector of the Port for five years. The elaborate plant is contained in the first floor at the location named, 40 x 100 feet in area, and comprises a full and complete equipment of machinery and accessories for maintaining the productions at an uniformly high standard of quality and make; steam-power being the actuating force used, and twenty-five skilled mechanics are regularly employed on the premises.  The firm has secured the exclusive agency for the Dodge patent wooden pulley, and are to start a large salesroom where all kinds of machinery will be found.”

Yes they were most found in places that did watches, clocks jewelry and cutlery in the 19th century.  Now I do know of a larger screw press that came from the Packard Factory in Detroit and a large bed press that was used to make pressed tin ceiling tiles.  The one I got was used for pressing bearings in a factory tool room in central Ohio.

1 hour ago, Scott NC said:

I wonder how that arm got broke off and if the previous owner was in any pain...

One day “that guy” in the shop who’s always trippin over stuff an never pays attention,

was walking by whilst that fly press was bein used an of course he wasn’t wearing his hard hat

the arm an weight swung around and wacked him up side the head and his head bein so dense caused it to fracture and fall off, 

don’t worry he never even noticed, he kept on walking like nothing ever happened,

the moral of the story is keep accident prone people away from your tools and if they have to be around them make sure they wear a hard hat to protect your tools from them in event of a impact!:P

My wife told me about a nearby flea market that was holding a going out of business sale today. So we made a trip down there and picked up a few things:

AFA7867E-1FAE-4C16-B853-922DDEB9FD38.jpeg.9dcff87840f7febbbe75dbc8bcc7d6ab.jpeg

Not pictured is a mason jar of 1” cat’s eyes marbles and an “Animaniacs” cartoon DVD box set. Most of the file are old Nicholson or Heller.

I know why they are going out of business, by the tag this load would have cost $443.25 before taxes! Did I mention they called themselves a “Flea Market”? Let’s just say I didn’t pay anything in that range…

David

Nice score David. Doesn't their asking prices go a ways towards explaining why they're closing shop? There are 2nd hand, Picker, etc. shops around here that don't last much more than a year who price things at silly prices. 

I guess you have to make overhead but it's more fun and economical hitting yard sales.

Frosty The Lucky.

Antique and Vintage! Reminds me of when I was at the flea market in Las Cruces NM and a dealer wanted way too much for an old ball peen and was arguing that "You can't find them cheaper!"  I bought a very similar one for 1/5 his asking price at the dealer across the aisle from him...I held it up and waved it at him and indicated the price. He was not amused.

Only 36 pounds out this morning including some rod stock, sucker rod, small galvanized trashcan for the shop, galvanized steel watering can for the wife, pair of tinsnips, short craftsman screwdriver, misc other stuff.  (Forgot the hay rake tine!)  Supposed to rain this afternoon so I might get to fire up the gasser and forge!

Here is most of my fleamarket haul for today. 

The nibbler works fine. Ill have to do some research to figure out the brand. Not sure if it is older makita or not. 

The milwaukee shears work smooth but probably could probably use new blades. 

Couldn't pass up the new vicegrip brand vicegrips for $8 for both. 

New hole saws 1-3/8" milwaukee and 2" lenox both for $5

All the staples were $5. Other stuff was pretty cheap.  Ballpein is a truetemper vulcan. 

Might head back tomorrow when it is their big day. Thought I'd catch some early deals today.

Also got some dvds for the kids.

20220730_143819.thumb.jpg.ea33546afab8108fa95707aa5e185196.jpg