I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Had a squad leader blown of the top of a shower we built once. We put a barrel on top of it, filled the barrel with water and put an immersion heater in it. These ran of diesel fuel. You started a drip and collected a little in a small cup, pull the cup out and light it. The drip keeps a fire going and you get nice hot water, and i do mean hot. If you let the drip go with the fuel running it would build up fumes indie of it and some times explode. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, Frosty said:

Super missle Weld should do it with preheat and a slow cooling. 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:14 PM, Daswulf said:

I have a friend that swears by super missile weld.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this "Super Missile Weld"?

I haven't used it yet since I haven't started using my stick welder yet but here is the explanation from online. "Harris Super Missileweld stick welding electrode is a steel alloy electrode that can be used for welding virtually all types of mild steel, alloy steel and stainless steel. Super Missileweld is ideal when the exact alloy to be welded is unknown. It produces high-strength, crack-free welds on high carbon steels, tool steels, stainless steels; spring steels, manganese steels, and dissimilar steels."

I will say I've seen pictures of the anvil my friend welded and it looks good. But again, I haven't had a chance yet to forge on it to test it out. 

Das, propane does not leave any residue like other liquids. Remove the valve, and if there is no liquid left to gas off, go ahead and cut. But, I would wash with bleach first to get rid of the stink, as it will be easier when the tank is still together. 

Got some goodies at the Ritchie Bros. auction, but I am going to wait until this high heat wave passes. 114F yesterday and suppose to hit 119 this week.

Thanks BigGun. Puts me a little more at ease.

There is a beer store/carwash that fills propane here and they have a big dumpster out back with propane bottles poking out of the top. If I start using up my supply I might ask about those. 

I'd like to get a bunch of jackolanterns stocked up before fall. 

Another problem with random barrels is: what might be stored in them post original use?   I've heard some farm horror stories about barrels that were used to mix up pesticides and then scrapped. 

I used to buy my barrels from a refurbish place that "flame cleaned them", sand blasted them and repainted them.  Then I found a source for barrels used to ship tomato paste---smooth sided too as they used sort of a large caulking gun system to push it out the bung on the opposite end...

Getting older is a lot more fun if you can do it WITHOUT having to spend it in a bed hooked to a bunch of machines!

(My stepson is getting into woodworking and was envious of my heavy jointer for $40---and half of that covered by my scrap copper collection!)

Had a guy bring me a barrel to cut the top off for a burn barrel. It was sludgy with old oil in it. I ended up sourcing him another cleaner barrel as it wasnt worth the time to clean the sludge out and I didnt want the job of disposing of it. 

Centipede or catapillar idea sounds neat. 

Harris Super Missileweld stick welding electrode 

Description: Steel Welding Electrode

The ultimate electrode for welding steels with highest strength and maximum ductility (AC/DC) Assures non-cracking welds on “problem” steels such as high carbon steels; tool steels; stainless steels; spring steels; manganese steels; and dissimilar steels. Super Missileweld is particularly advantageous when the alloy content of the steel to be welded is known. This unique electrode is so versatile that its applications are virtually too multiple in number to specify. For years, it has been a maintenance and repair “stand-by” in every industry throughout the world

Procedure:
  • Use either AC or DC reverse polarity
  • Clean weld area
  • Bevel heavy sections
  • For high carbon steels, a preheat of 400 F is recommended
  • Hold a short arc
  • Run stringer beads
  • Peening will help relieve stresses
  • Let each pass cool and slag will peel off easily
Features:
  • Tensile strength - 108,000 psi
  • Yield strength - 76,000 psi
  • Reduction of area - 30%
  • Charpy V notch - 75 ft/# @ room temperature
  • Rockwell B hardness - 93 - 102 HRB
  • Brinell hardness - 200 - 300 HB
  • Elongation - 24%
  • Frictional resistance - Excellent
  • Abrasive resistance - Mild
  • Will not respond to heat treatment

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Harris Super Missileweld stick welding electrode 

I have a millwright friend that introduced me to it. My favorite electrode to weld with, especially with DC. Works brilliantly to weld bearing steel to mild, its like welding with butter.  I have made a few into press tools that way and have never had any weld issues with it ever.  

I've used Super Missleweld for years though not in recent years. It's a go to rod for dissimilar metals, I don't recall it not working.

Tristan is right it wets and flows like butter, a pleasure to run. 

The price will make you cringe though, even in the 70s it was a bite. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh absolutely, it was Go To rod for a reason. I liked Eutectic 680 rod WAY better but it makes Super Missleweld prices look like sale day at a dollar store. I couldn't even get the State to buy it. The drill shop was going through it too fast, the knuckle heads I worked with used it on everything. Need to weld a piece of angle iron? Use the 680! 

Sorry old story. If you need high end rod it's THE correct thing to use. If however you think your welding skills need high end rod to make up for a lack. Practice more.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pro tip: when you don’t want to chop up a bunch of sticks of 1/8”x1/2” and 1/4”x1/2” to fit them in the car, bring a big bending wrench to the steelyard. 

5603A673-8CE8-4A72-A370-A362C0C23C0F.jpeg

Successful trip to the industrial surplus warehouse: a cart that might become a movable torch cutting table, an unopened box of 6013 welding rods, an organizer for my supply of nuts and bolts, a pair of Destaco clamps, and a bunch of temperature-indicating crayons (like Tempilstiks, but a different brand) ranging from 200°F to 650°F. 

98862235-6BAC-4366-8AAA-B9154F850C59.jpeg

One of the other items at the warehouse raises an interesting question: with the decline in the teaching of cursive, would this be an effective warning sign?

9C9571C2-E245-4B24-968B-6999C8283F30.jpeg