• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have a specific need for information I can write down what all the tags attached to the jointer says. I remember that the front one was DELTA Milwaukee and on the back there was a Rockwell  tools(?) division.  It's just fairly large; built like I like them---too heavy to steal without risking your health!  It doesn't show signs of hard use either.

I was thinking of rounding the top of the tamper a bit and put in a hemispherical divot and call it a SCA armour repair rivet anvil.

I’m thinking of splitting it vertically and using the two halves side by side to hold water under a small torch cutting table. Something that can fold up small and store on the shelf of my welding table. 

Winged pigs are also popular out of the smaller tanks. I've also done jackolanterns, tho those are a little easier with a plasma cutter but no reason a grinder with a cutoff wheel couldn't get the job done. I have a few propane tanks but haven't looked up how to safely cut them up yet. I mainly have used the helium tanks. I will be researching that soon tho. 

I made a hydraulic fluid reservoir for The Pressciousss out of an old propane tank last year. Opened the valve to relieve the pressure, unscrewed the valve stem with a pipe wrench, turned it upside-down to drain out any residual fluid, then filled it with water and detergent and left it in the sun for a week. Rinse, repeat, let dry for another week. Seems to have worked: nothing exploded. 

(Also, important first step: warn the neighbors that I was doing all this, that it was perfectly safe, and that they might smell a few whiffs of mercaptan. Increase the goodwill; decrease the risk of the fire department paying a visit.)

Thanks John.  Sounds like the usual. I just prefer safe over sorry and have a healthy respect over potential explosives. Read a Lot about welding gas tanks and heard of many doing it "safely" but still ended up buying a new one for my 66 jeep cut over welding a few pin holes. I've heard way more success stories of using propane tanks. I just prefer to play it overly safe on some things. 

Or cutting a tank with anything that generates sparks.

An old water tank that you would think would be safe turned out to be rested on the inside and was full of rust and dust particles in the air. This was just waiting for an ignition source.  I told the fellow to add plenty of water to reduce the  rust and dust particles in the air while I left. 

If the gas residue is properly flushed out, I don’t know that something like a cutting disk in an angle grinder would be an issue. The problem with a cutting torch, as I understand it, is the possibility of pressurized gasses building up inside. 

At the last shop/dealership I worked at we has access to barrels they kept the concentrate to washer fluid in. (Sorry, forget the chemical at the moment. Methanol?)  Anyway one tech was going to cut the top off with a plasma cutter and make a burn barrel without rinsing the supposed empty barrel/drum. . Luckily he only reached his arm to the edge of the barrel to start an arc with the plasma cutter torch. When he did there was a bit of an explosion and the barrel flew up around 5-6 feet from the bottom bulging out. No one was hurt but that cemented my healthy fear /respect for that kind of thing. I rinsed out a couple of the same barrels several times and had no issues cutting them. 

I saw a 55 gallon steel drum to the side of a building and ask if I could have it.  Sure.  Looking closer the barrel was marked motor oil, but the top was hooved up a bit.  Released the bung just enough to release some of the pressure and there was a definite odor of something that could be flammable.  Went back in and ask what was in it and the fellow said oh that motor oil barrel, that is what we used for the racing fuel last weekend.  Don't worry it is empty.

I no longer trust labels on steel drums as they may have been reused before you got there.  

Purchasing brand new steel is a lot less expensive that a hospital visit.  The down time, lost time, pain, and should be factored in also.

16 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Methanol

Yup. Used in windshield washer fluid because of its -144°F freezing point and its easy miscibility with water. 

The 52°F flash point might have had something to do with it going Boom. 

Not to mention the instant heat and serious sparks shooting into the barrel from a plasma cutter. 

I also know, sorry, knew a guy that got blown through a garage door cutting a barrel that had contained oil , with a grinder, that was not rinsed out. He was a Big guy nicknamed Giant. Tho that put him in the hospital, ultimately it was cancer they found in him while in the hospital and the treatment that got him.