• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of mine, who gave me my hand crank Champion Lancaster blower from the family lumber yard (which had a blacksmith shop) founded in 1895 also raised Bison (buffalo). He gave a lifetime supply of all sorts of bones. He is a master bladesmith and retired. I haven't seen him in years.

There's a small herd of bison at Big Bone Lick state park about twenty minutes away from my house.

I love buffalo horn handles. I had a little fixed blade with buffalo horn and antler handle scales when I was a little boy that my great uncle who I idolized gifted to me. I believe that's why I like the material so much. I haven't worked with it though. 

Pnut

The gift card fuelled mini shopping spree is nearly over. It's tricky trying to put together orders that get close to the amount of money left on the cards. 

Anyway I got a 2lb Czech style hammer and a hot slit chisel.

PnutIMG_20210322_134153.jpg.0a25e7b54f2c06c83aebdb3e5a1568e6.jpg

51 minutes ago, rustyanchor said:

where did you get yours and how much, if I may ask.

On line. It wasn't much I was trying to spend every penny on a gift card. I believe it was 12 or 15 dollars. It says Peddinghaus but it also says made in France so I'm a little confused. It seems okay though. 

Pnut

I was distracted for a couple of days. An acquaintance moved into assisted living and his family is cleaning out the house. A bit sad.

He told me to look in the basement and take anything I wanted. The electronics and carpentry buffs had already been there by the time I arrived. But a few things followed me home. A 9-inch lathe ...

IMG_9260.JPG.638be54e6080016fefaa15b404374252.JPG

An arbor press ...

IMG_9267.JPG.d7f72b683d52fda710190a2343d2306b.JPG

And an old 12" Craftsman bandsaw. The latter needs some work, but I don't have a bandsaw and the price was right. :) It came with a set of reduction gears so it can be rigged for metal cutting.

These aren't exactly blacksmithing items but IFI does have a "show your lathe" section. So there you go.

It did not escape my attention (how could it?) that both the arbor press and the lathe have a lot more mass than my new anvil. What am I thinking? SWMBO and I have learned a bit about moving heavy objects. :o

One of my best uses of the Porta-Band was when I realized that my anvil stand was out of level and a bit high: I leveled it out with shims, scribed a line 1/2" above the floor around all three feet, and cut to the line. I don't even want to think about what that job would have looked like without that saw.

Chimaera, many mower blades are a special boron alloy that takes a very specialized heat treatment to harden. Experiment first before investing a lot of time.

Well I just bought a Scotchman 6509 ironworker at an auction. Paid more than originally set out to, but still did pretty good. Watching videos of them the ram goes up and down pretty fast, and at 65 ton capacity it could possibly be used for smithing. Good thing I also won two box trucks, as I can use one to bring it home :D

I'll post pictures once I get it home.

Lol I have no clue what I’m gonna do with these yet but they are definitely interesting conversation pieces in the meantime. The old guy I got them from said he used to clean them up and weld the guides to the valves and then Crome them and sell them as heavy duty candle sticks! 

Thanks for the heads up irondragon, I’ve never heard that I’ll definitely have to read up on that. any valves I’ve ever pulled In my small engine shop I’ve just thrown in scrap and never thought about them or reused them for anything. I probably won’t be doing any welding on these big valves myself I just wanted to share the backstory of the previous owner and what he used to do with them. 

Good Morning,

Some valves are 'Sodium filled', this helps dissipate heat from the exhaust valve head. Generally there is a tiny indent like a 1/16" deep hole exactly in the center of the valve head, if they are Sodium. Only exhaust valves have Sodium!! Exhaust valve heads are always non magnetic, stainless. This stops the lines of molecules from lining up and becoming magnetic from all the hammering closed, at heat. Quite often the valve stem can attract a magnet, but never the head. Intake valves are never stainless, they always get a drink of cold air so they don't get as hot. You can always tell the difference with a small magnet. Exhaust valves always have more material in the base of the tulip of the valve head. Too much information, SORRY!!

I make repousse' tools from old valves. I Don't heat them, grind them cold after turning to size in the lathe.

One mans junk is .................gold!!

Neil