I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Welcome Steven.  My workbenches have both a 6+" postvise and a 4ish" postvise; then I have a "heavy work postvise attached to the utility pole that holds up the roof truss. Then there is a travel set up with a 4" vise.   I am currently working on a gazinta to be set in concrete out in the shop driveway for a 6" postvise so I can bend large stuff without running into shop walls.  I also have an OLD 3.5" postvise, (pre 1800 according to Frank Turley) and a heavy duty "robustus" postvise I bought for my rental house set up that came back to my smithy when I no longer rented that place.

I sold a couple of postvises off last month and hope to sell a couple more soon to get me back down to a reasonable dozen of them....

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend messaged me this morning. Said he had a loader bucket full of bolts for me to make art with. For the price,($0.) I couldn't pass it up. All new. He said he got them dumpster diving, and scrap is low atm. Awesome. That'll keep me busy for a bit. I'll be making him a good thank you gift. Perhaps I'll get more. :)

20200321_151007.thumb.jpg.ce6f18a4e40d48fa9f5d63d9dbebd87b.jpg

20200321_151018.thumb.jpg.fed456edddcf624244a5640c81d1d746.jpg

Speaking of used cars, I finally managed to find a vehicle that didn't cost a fortune. I couldn't pass it up for$1000. Now I have a place to put my forge when it's cooled off. It's time for a new MarkIII jabod. IMG_20200320_141721.thumb.jpg.c8ef573b857c8074f4d1d1ca0aa90ce4.jpg

Pnut

I'm just happy not to have to walk wherever I want to go. It took me forever to find a vehicle. They've gotten much more expensive than the last car I purchased ten years ago for $500. I managed to find a 2006 Buick Rendezvous with 150,580 miles for a grand. I couldn't pass it up. Part of the deal with the landlord was I had to be able to take the forge down and put it in my vehicle or bring it inside when not in use so the neighbors can't complain. I was going to buy a diamondback series three gas forge when I file my taxes and I still might but I prefer charcoal. I can't wait.

Pnut

Always interesting to look in the gravel right outside the mechanic's shop....scary....but fun.

My latest scrapyard haul included the 1.5 hp baldor motor, a 3" lifting eye to use as a dishing form---had to unscrew it with a 10' chunk of pipe for leverage, some misc nuts and bolts and washers and a 4" to 3" duct adapter. US$11.05 total

There is another 3/4 hp motor I may have to go back next Saturday for...I may get a tumbler built someday after all.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Always interesting to look in the gravel right outside the mechanic's shop....scary....but fun.

I had a long wait at the industrial surplus place for the warehouse guys to bring my stuff out (it was a VERY busy Sale Saturday), so I amused myself by walking around the parking lot and picking up any stray bits of metal. Ended up with about a pint of nuts, bolts, and washers, including some of rather large diameter.

10 minutes ago, Judson Yaggy said:

because my father in law who lives with us is pushing 80 with a heart condition is in the high risk category. 

Truly commendable. I applaud your consideration. I wish it would trickle down to the bluegrass state. We've had to have police sit outside of an inconsiderate fool's home who wouldn't voluntarily quarantine after testing positive. There's been numerous other incidents also. It boggles the mind how some people have so little regard for others. 

Pnut

On 3/24/2020 at 6:18 PM, Judson Yaggy said:

Stay home folks.  Don't let ANYTHING follow you home.  Sucks I know, 

.. how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. A new analysis found that the virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours. This study was originally published in the preprint database medRxiv on March 11,  and now a revised version was published March 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine

Hasn’t followed me home yet, but I’ve put in purchase requests on some goodies from the industrial surplus place. Normally they only offer the greatest Sale Thursday discount on in-store purchases, but with everyone staying home as much as possible, they’ve extended that to online orders as well. Getting some safety gear, a cart that I plan to modify into a tool rack, an odd lot of tools, and 145 lbs. of hex bar stock.