• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took them to my friend who owns the Welding supply and he recommended I just toss then.  Said they probably wouldn't even serve to do tack welds.  Said drying them in an oven changes their chemistry and is really a waste of time and electricity. Oh well.

While I was in his shop, I bought one of those slag hammers and he gave me an automatic welding mask that was there when he bought the shop.  So he just left in there with other things to have on the shelves so it looked like a business.  Told me it's probably not a good one  Had a $40 price tag on it.  Better than nothing, I suppose. 

Thanks, IFC.  I did a search on-line and couldn't find a used one.  New ones are $23 and up.  I'll keep looking though.

Nix that!  I just found and bought it on a used textbook site for $5.37 delivered.  I can handle that.  Maybe this book will keep me from having to embarrass myself in front of some friend I'm asking to "show me the ropes", ya think? :D

I've a question for those of you who weld............which is probably everyone on the forum but myself! :lol:  This helmet that was gifted to me has an auto lens that goes from 2.7 to 11.  Is 11 dark enough for any level I might be using this 225 amp welder at? 

:lol::lol::lol:  So I take it, this lens will be satisfactory all the way up to a 225amparc?  I really need to know because I've had two retina surgeries this past 12 months and the surgeon said I have to be really protective of my eyes.  That's why I bought a #3 flip-up attachment to put on my RX glasses for use at the forge.

image.png.02ee06f26e572702424c81647502304e.png

I have this chart saved, shade 11 will be a little light according to it. Most of my welding is at 175 amps or lower and I've found for me the chart is a little to dark so I set the hood at a number lower. That chart came from the Miller Welding web site, lots of good info there.

3 hours ago, Chris C said:

will be satisfactory all the way up to a 225amparc?

Okay, I might add that I bought a flip-up #3 for my glasses to look into the forge.  (Dr's Orders!)  If I wear the #3 on my glasses when I'm using the #11, does that add up to 14 or does it not?  By the way, thanks for taking the time to post that chart.

11 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I'm not sure about that, one would think it will. If it does add up I'm sure you will find it too dark, I have trouble seeing the arc with too dark of a shade, and set the lens lighter. I very seldom use 225 amp unless I'm welding very heavy stock.

Okay.  I highly doubt I'll need to be welding anything that thick.  Probably the thickest I'll weld is 1/8" angle making racks and things like that.  This is a "fixed" Weldit lens.  I don't see any way to change the shade amount.

Chris, shade 10 or 11 will work for you, the #3 under the hood won't make much difference. For the 1/8 plate you'll be using 3/32 or 1/8 rods, for someone just starting I would recommend 6013 3/32 rods for 1/8 mild steel, if your welder is A/C, 6010 if it is D/C. I use a #10 mirror lens in the hood I use for pipeline welding with stick  and a #11mirror lens for mig or tig . I don't use the auto lens, (my co-workers tell me I'm old fashioned)

14 hours ago, Chris C said:

Okay, I might add that I bought a flip-up #3 for my glasses to look into the forge

Doesn't that only protect from UV and the damaging light emitted from a forge is IR so it wouldn't really afford much protection? I'm asking because I may be doing some forging in a gasser. I know not to look any more than necessary but I'm curious. 

Pnut

On 1/24/2020 at 4:58 AM, masonred said:

image.png

Thats so cool that you found that book. It was produced by the Guild of Metalsmiths in Minnesota back in 90 or 91. At a guild meeting last year the subject for the meeting was that book and the history of it. Some members brought in some of the original pieces pictured in the book. Very cool!! Nice find.