• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the drop bin: a lot of 1/4” round, a bit of 1/2” round, and some chunks of 1/4” x 1”.

From the dumpster of the church renovation project next door to work: a section of old oak floor joist* and a chunk of mahogany pew seat. 

05C59589-F7DC-4422-B2E3-890F394C8413.jpeg

*And for those unclear on the difference between a joist and a girder, Joist wrote Ulysses and Girder wrote Faust.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

*And for those unclear on the difference between a joist and a girder, Joist wrote Ulysses and Girder wrote Faust.

Mm ... I am afraid that the difference between Girder and Joist is not to be found in ancient literature ;)

John; for that one your 10000 years in Purgatory have been commuted to 100000 years in Vail...(perhaps commuted is the wrong term)...

When I was recovering from pneumonia one summer; I once spotted a sledge hammer on the side of the highway coming home from my twice weekly Dr appointments.  My wife kindly pulled over and let me go grab it: step---breathe, step---breathe, step---breathe, step---breathe, step---breathe, step---breathe,...

When our church in OH remodeled I snagged the 150 year old oak joists they threw in the dumpster; just because!

I do not comment on the relative price for steel by the pound and fiber by the oz; I hope by doing so I won't end up dying in bed---perhaps next week!

Well I just heard that they should have a price for me tomorrow morning; of course I will be offline over the weekend so none of you will hear anything one way or the other till Monday.

If I get it; I will try to get the first load in this weekend concentrating on what I can use the most/is the most prone to walking off.

My wife wants to take me to the city tomorrow afternoon.   Supposed to get to 59 degF Tuesday; just need more daylight!

My wife has been telling me not to make a decision on it till I have discussed it with her; as I was only thinking of *my* money, I think she may be thinking of contributing some of the "family funds".  Perhaps that episode in the ER made her want to encourage a strong will to survive in me;  must practice looking hangdog...Unfortunately I'm so cheap that if the price is too high I wouldn't want it anyway.

DEAL IS DONE!  A friend is getting the 50# LG, my wife talked them down another US$1000 and is taking a cashier's check over this afternoon. I hope to start loading Saturday morning---and it's a 3 day weekend!  Looks like I will be getting none of the line shaft stuff, (yeah!), or the bellows, (boo) and of course the 114# lakeside anvil in great shape + 4" columbian postvise and 6 pairs of tongs that his wife is keeping, (sigh).  I hope she takes one of my classes and is not too upset at what they sold me afterwards!

So: 3 powerhammers, (50# LG, 25# LG, small helve---hawkeye? ), 200#? PW anvil, 1 large postvise and 4 smaller ones, stack of tongs and hammers and top tools, 3 forges (2 I can use and 1 selling on),  a bunch of old hand crank or line shaft drill presses (to be sold on) and a cone mandrel (MINE!). Several hand crank blowers, including one with a smashed fan housing that may help others looking for gears...plus a bunch of stuff I can't remember it all.  I think I can sell enough stuff on to cover the family funds and my shop funds I'm using for the deal and still end up with a goodly amount of *useful* equipment residual.

To reprise an old quote: "If you plan to be adding anything else to the shop it had better be a liquid!"

I expect I'll be ready to sit in a comfy chair and stare at a screen next week.  Just hope I don't have to type with a pencil held in my teeth because my hands won't close.  I also expect that the hammers will move at a later date; save for the small helve which can go in my small pickup. 

I forecast lots and lots and lots of wire brushing in my future; perhaps the 60 mph  wind gusts will be a big help coming up. I'm already planning to build another tool rack; I'm of the "You can't use a tool you can't find." school of things.

He also just told me that the parts for the tire bender are probably around and if they don't show up loading they will when they clean the rest of the stuff out of the building.  My wife is dropping off a key to the storage place and I'm telling myself I *REALLY* should wait till the weekend to start; as moving heavy stuff in poor lighting is a good way to damage oneself.

I'm going to dig out my "In Rust We Trust" Tee shirt!

My, my, my, I'm looking forward to the inventory and pics you're going to get with the new camera or phone you buy with a portion of the spoils. It's been my experience that letting the wife do the final negotiating has been profitable. When Deb gets a $ in her sights she won't turn loose till she has every bit she can get. 

I've also found the wife is a lot more likely to sell the old man's stuff for a LOT less than he thinks it's worth. I'm not sure how I'll work that at my estate sale I really have to convince her that stuff's worth . . .:unsure: what it's worth? 

I can't tell you how happy I am I'm not faced with that kind of temptation, I'm darned excited for you though. 

Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

DEAL IS DONE! 

Stoked Thomas! You be careful with that hide of yours, pay heed to what good sense you have left (not insinuating anything, I just know what it is like for me at 61 years).

Frosty, the estate sale thing is a real concern for me, I do not want all of that junk hanging around Mrs. Taylor's neck - yet I DO NOT want to see the  Soderfors go out the door for a song. I had best make a list.

Robert Taylor

I'm happy for you Thomas. This is a prime example of you can't get a deal if you don't have the cash available. Can't wait to see some pictures. 

Shhhh don't tell anyone but I've had money for an anvil as soon as I come across one in good shape and the price range I want to spend for months. I just haven't seen one yet.