• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found me a second leg vise. 5 inch jaws. Missing spring and mounting bracket but that's no biggie. Screw and screw box in good shape. With prices around here the way they are I couldn't pass it up for $40. Now just gotta clean it up and make the missing pieces. 

20191011_162524.jpg

Another successful Sale Saturday at the industrial surplus warehouse. A material handling rack (for the steel and the casters) for $7:

FBAEBE54-CE9C-49DA-B8B4-A5C62BC9F49A.jpeg

A piano dolly for $2.50  and a box of tools for $10:

75978529-244B-462D-964C-B6B1793F5CB8.jpeg

Considering that the Garland rawhide-faced hammer retails for about $65, I think I did pretty well. 

So today I found a flatter in what must be the least likely possible location... a prop warehouse having a going out of business sale.  It was part of the mining display props.  Bought it for $20, thought it was a great find (been wanting one for years).  They had welded a tab to it for positioning or something, should be easy to break/cut-off and reface.  It was surrounded by giant tiki heads, mummies, pirate ships, leprechaun gold, and all sorts of miscellaneous bizarre crap. 

DSC_0375.JPG

It makes pretty good sense to me. I'm surprised there wasn't an anvil. You're likely to find anything in a prop warehouse. A lot of props are poor replicas but not always. It's their job to collect as wide and varied an array of objects as possible. I used to have a friend who had a prop business in North Hollywood. I never knew what I might see when I'd stop by. It was one of my favorite places to visit. I sold quite a bit to him also. Good find. Any time a prop business is selling it's inventory it's worth a look.

Pnut

10 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Pnut, depends where you are. I find them for $3-$5 each.

I meant new punches.  Once again I was trying to see it in the best possible light. Always looking for the silver lining. At three bucks a piece for the other tools he got the shear for six dollars, sounds like a steal to me. I always look for deals like that unfortunately I rarely find them.  I did get a blower shipped to me from a very generous member here yesterday by the name of Laynne. I'll post some pics as soon as I get around to it.

Strangely enough I haven't seen a single used punch or really any blacksmithing tools for sale around here. I don't know where they're hiding or who is hoarding them all but decent hammers and such are in short supply at the flea markets and second hand stores in my area. I had to buy   a new hammer and three other ones made by a smith I found on Craigslist that lives near me. When it comes to punches  I'll just have to make em as I need em I guess.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Unhandled punches/drifts often get scrapped out as folks don't realize they are tools.  Handled ones often a snapped up by the antique crowd as ornamental objects. I've noticed that people not planning to use stuff seem a lot more willing to pay high for stuff than folks who want to use it...

I recently bought a bit over 100 pounds of used wrenches and sockets at the scrapyard; someone cleaned out an old shop and threw it all away.  I was happy to take advantage of their idiocy.  I'm going to sort them and send each grandkid a set of "beater tools"  to use, abuse and lose; so when they get new tools they will take better care of them.   All the unplated stuff stays in the smithy!