Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cut trees? :unsure: 

They're usually in the medium C range and make good kitchen knife stock as is. I have one and for years have wanted to use it in a pattern welded billet. I don't make blades though. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been using my close out tools drill press since the mid 70s and there isn't a drill mark in anything that isn't supposed to have one. Pay close attention to what's below the work that the drill bit is going to contact when it passes through. My drill vise doesn't have drill marks in it either. It does have marks from rotary files on the edges of the jaws.

There's another important rule for you. Do NOT put side pressure on the quill! The quill is what the drill chuck is attached to and turns the bit, they are NOT made with thrust bearings, side pressure will wear the bearings out surprisingly quickly. A drill press is NOT a mill, don't use it as one. 

I realize I was just talking about applying side pressure to my drill quill but it was VERY light running a rotary file on a thin, 3/16" bronze guard for the Seax I got from Theo.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow! Nice score Pedro!

Stopped by an auction today and saw a guy carrying out his pallet full of goodies. Asked if he’d sell me the oil rag can. He looked at me like I was crazy and said to give him $10 and a hand. I gladly obliged. Stopped by my local body shop and picked up an empty laquer thinner can. Cut the top off and presto, a 10 gal. quench tank with a lid. Now to decide what to fill it with. 

3C1987AB-480B-4DDB-8B7D-CC30AB09A6B4.jpeg

4AA368B1-D2DC-422F-B50B-EE959FF0B7AE.jpeg

10 hours ago, Rojo Pedro said:

Thanks for the tip Frosty. 

Im going to search for more drill press knowledge tips and mods

You're welcome, my pleasure. Here's a rule of thumb for rotation speed. Better too slow than too fast. 

Here's a HARD rule. Always secure the work: Clamp, vise, toggle bolt. Hand holding the work is a good way to find out how the bologna felt in the slicer. 

WHEN a drill bit snags in a hole do NOT lift up on the feed lever!!! This just chips the edges on the bit an dulls it. Hold the handle down and turn the drill OFF, then turn the chuck backwards and ease up on the handle. The bit will free right up and be none the worse for the experience.

Bits jam most often when you break through the far side. With practice you'll hear and feel as the point of the bit starts to penetrate the far side. Back WAY off the down pressure and let it ease through. It only takes a second but makes all the difference and you'll get nicer holes.

There are text books about using drills of all kinds. Get a drill bit sharpener, I know how to hand sharpen bits but sharpeners do a better job. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Picked up a couple of die and holders last night at the auction house. They had been laying in dirt and crud for who knows how long. A little go juice and a wire wheel and they seem to be in good condition. One is a Champion Blower and Forge. 

IMG_20190413_142534823.jpg

IMG_20190413_142336616.jpg

I had a couple of cutting edges from a road grader follow me home a while ago. (sorry I didn't take pics of them) does anyone know what alloy they might be? Or have any fun suggestions of what a guy should do with them? I'm thinking a guy could make a mean meat cleaver out of them.