• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made a great score today... I picked up a load of new Jackhammer bits. 3/4" shank. 18" long. The ends will make good tooling and fullers too.

I also picked up about 30 big coil overhead door springs and 4 new truck coil springs. I have enough ring material and 5160 punch steel for several lifetimes!

IMG_20171201_133059.jpg

IMG_20171201_133112.jpg

IMG_20171201_131802.jpg

In the "about to follow me home" department (in addition to some of @Stitch's jackhammer bits, which he and I have already discussed), I just got word from the college's Theater Department that they want me to "babysit" their MIG welder while the scene shop is undergoing renovations. Didn't have to ask me twice!

On the way back from the "big city" we stopped at an antique shop (read junk shop) in Garfield. He is usually not open when we go through there on the way to the doctors office.

After some haggling over the price we came home with 2 old rasps, 4 hay rake tines and the best 2 wrought iron buggy wheel rims. Both are 44 1/2 inches in diameter, 1 is 3/4 inch wide and the other is 1/2 inch wide.

100_1913.thumb.JPG.510055676cb09e67d85390804d0de565.JPG

19 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

the best 2 wrought iron buggy wheel rims. Both are 44 1/2 inches in diameter

:huh:

You mean length, i assume? 44 1/2 inches in diameter would be... 260 times 3... carry the 1... really blasted heavy! Lol. 

Or do you mean the ID of the wheel? No way thats stock diameter. 

2 hours ago, Will W. said:

You mean length, i assume?

No I measured the outside diameter (should have said tires), if to figure the length of the stock multiply X pi (if I remember right) which would be 139.73 inches in circumference or roughly the length of the stock.

Another followed me home from our weekly run to the trash transfer station and dumpster diving in the steel bin.

Two 1 inch pieces of round stock six and a half feet long, a tractor draw bar and the piece of rebar. Not bad for free.

100_1914.thumb.JPG.06bf146c50ec1b7b832ba9c133b156cd.JPG

These nice knives followed me home (one in the custody of my wife :)).  The top one I won in a club drawing last month.  The smaller one was a Christmas gift to my wife today.  Heckuva deal!  A matched set of knives made by a friend makes for a very nice Christmas!  The wood is Bois d'Arc (Osage Orange or Bodarc in this part of the world).

Knives.jpg

1 hour ago, Will W. said:

Nice blades, olfart. Your friend does good work. They match each other very well. Love the handles. 

Thanks.  I'll put a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil with mineral spirits on the handles to give them a little more protection and bring out the wood's colors a little better.

4 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Stitch, I have never seen a rounded jackhammer bit like those, where are they used? I agree that the tops look like tooling/stakes to me. Lop them off and sell them. 

I believe these are raw forgings as they easily cut with a file. They are from Champion Chisel works, Rock Falls, IL.

I'm guessing that they are meant to be dressed to make custom ends and then hardened.  I plan on giving some away to my friends that stop in!

Someone’s almost as bad as I am. “Did someone say FREE?!”

I had a leaf spring set (not free :() follow me home today. Now I just have to figure out exactly how to mount it and if I need the straight piece for my scrap hammer build. (I also plan to build an elaborate cage around the spring in case of catastrophic failure.)

I almost forgot the picture. 

1334B878-4BB4-46C0-A4DD-ECD7A6B5FAAD.jpeg

I scored 30 sets of tongs Monday for $100.  All I have for a group picture is this lousy photo.  So far I've decided to keep 6 pair plus some top tools and a few old wrenches, and I'm at $295 so far in sales with 10 pairs left. 

IMG_3393.jpg

Among the tongs was this set of adjustable pipe tongs, and this 33" set of tongs that would hold at least 4" stock.

IMG_3399.jpg

On loan from the theater department while the scene shop gets renovated: a Lincoln 140 ProMIG welder, two welding jackets and a set of arm leathers, a whole lot of masks, a few pairs of gloves, a lot of vise grips and miscellaneous tools, and a big ol’ Rockwell drill press. The only downside is that I’ll eventually have to give them all back!

4D9BBCC2-A924-4FD7-8A0B-4F90A640B95F.jpeg

B430129C-70FC-4C5D-911B-F0D964C945E0.jpeg

(FYI, this is the welder they let me use to weld up my anvil and post-vise stands, so it's like having an old friend come to visit.)