• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I went back to the dumpster armed with gloves, a crowbar, and a pair of vise grips, and got quite a good bit more of the iron brackets from the chapel roof renovation project. I suspect that there is more in there, but I think I've dug as deep as I can without risk to life and limb. Here's what I've got:

IMG_3434.JPG

This is all 1/4" x 1-1/4" flat bar.  There are a total of 86 pieces (66 of them bolted together in pairs) ranging from about 3" to about 14" long.

Pretty good score. 

Back from the fleamarket; I saw a lot of sledge hammers and ball pens; but they wanted US$3 for a good sized ball peen and sledges were about a dollar a pound!  As I'm already tooled up and more looking for oddball hammers I passed.  I did buy an old bronze plumb bob with removable steel point and very poor shape leater holster for it for US$2...

JHCC, you might forge a nice wall sconce out of some of that and present it to the chapel...

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

JHCC, you might forge a nice wall sconce out of some of that and present it to the chapel...

I'm actually thinking about making something nice as a welcome gift to the college's new president.

The outgoing president got a bottle opener made from a piece of rebar from one of the big construction projects started during his tenure.

well my wife would do the pickers proud. sent me an email saying the she just picked up a nice rivet forge, a dozen pair of tongs, an electric blower and a hand crank blower for said forge a half  dozen hardie tools, some assorted plates and other stuff and a about 50 lbs of coal for 50.00 bucks. all from one yard sale. an anvil also  there but they wouldn't price it yet, still attached to it. when I get home in sept. ill have to check it out.

These two beauties followed me home from our local rendezvous. It pays to do public demos!

20170902_215216.thumb.jpg.6a089080fff16e4e6225d09cbabd0e6f.jpg

The rear one is 156# Trenton (with the stylized n that looks like an x) Supposedly it came out of our local railroad roundhouse,  but it seems small for a shop like that.  Also. ..I cannot seem to find ANY marking  other than Trenton. Front and rear feet are blank. Not even a weight marking.  Here's a shot of the logo for BlackFrog.

20170825_210203.thumb.jpg.9e591c52617aa1227a34a9c8d64a4462.jpg

The front is a 111# Columbian.  It is the closest I've seen to "new" condition. Those edges are SHARP.

Both were from visitors who were wandering the Rendezvous who struck up conversations.  This makes 3 anvils in 3 months that were literally dropped in my lap WITHOUT me actively pursuing them.  So for all those guys hunting their first anvil. ..be patient.  Once you find one. ..they really do attract more.

It's the kind of problem I'm HAPPY  to endure.  I spent a decade getting the basics together before I even started hammering. ...time wasted.  Then it was 2 years before I got a "real" anvil.  Now,  TPAAAT is second nature and it's paying massive dividends.

My neighbor invited me to help clear out the house because his father recently passed.  It was one of those "take it or the cleaning crew will" situations.  Still, I had to show decency.  This was my haul for the cost of $0.  The grinder is a 1/2 HP.  I'm hoping to convert the bottle jack into a very slow press to realize my goal of person carved images into steel 

IMG_20170904_150500957_HDR.thumb.jpg.d4c7308ab577025926f5a1881be9373e.jpg

On 9/3/2017 at 0:57 PM, JHCC said:

There are a total of 86 pieces...

OK, I will probably eat crow for this...

You said "there are" instead of "their is". I would of thought that because "a (1) total" is the simple subject and not "pieces", that "is" would be the correct predicate to match the singular subject. Correct?

BTW, the ONLY reason I am bringing this up is because I just think it would be the coolest thing ever to prove a grammar teacher wrong! :lol:

I've had a busy few weeks and haven't taken the time to post my treasures that followed me home recently. Friday I got 600+ lbs of cratewood and about 30 lbs of scrap steel round tangled up in a mess. I also got a pretty set of ball bearings (about 1" balls) and the bronze cage (?). I also got another 7 bandsaw blades and some pallet strapping scrap roughly the same width and the BSB.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Cool! Now I'm glad you don't do that every time I use incorrect grammar...:ph34r:

Hehe, I just noticed a couple errors in my own post!

The IFI community guidelines say nothing about correct grammar, spelling, or punctuation. If Glenn ever decides they should, it's goin' down! ;) 

Remember when Frosty first came back after his TBI?  We deal with people who are not native english speakers or are recovering, We just think that laziness is not a good excuse as it's telling us that we are not worth the effort to communicate with.  And yes sometimes we play with language; some of us more than others...I was rather proud of the "Linguine Francisca" as a multiply layered construct...

Over the years I have come to exept my spelling isues. Last I was tested it was about a 3rd grade level. Some days are better than others, some days my pea brain just won't slow down enugh for me to struggle with the I phone or I pad spell check. As to words that all sound the same, sorry. 

I acualy enjoy the comradery and teasing I get buy you and others here. It's not hateful or the typical "your stupid because you can't spell" bigotry I usualy see. 

Keep it up, some days I realy do need the laugh

Charles,

You probably have dyslexia to some degree. Many dyslexics have problems with spelling.

Dyslexia has no correlation with intelligence.

For example, some examples of famous dyslexics are Albert Einstein, Agatha Christie, Richard Branson, and famous actors such as Henry Winkler, Tom Cruise, Cher, Bob Hoskins, Anthony Hopkins, Sarah Brightman,  etc.

A good site that briefly discusses dyslexia is https://www.spellzone.com/pages/dyslexia.cfm 

It is a commercial site but the first 4 or 5 paragraphs make for interesting, light, informative reading on the subject.

You are very knowledgeable in numerous subjects, have vast experience, are very generous for many on I.F.I. 

Who cares if your spelling is sometimes not standard. (it can often be incredibly creative). You get your point made.

SLAG.