• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Das, it is a wooden mallet. I figured for $1, it will be better than the oak branch i am currently using hahahaa. That lil vice is cute. I might mount it on the coffee table for the kids to use in the winter time to play with the solid copper wire they hammer on.

Wow, that is one complicated looking sharpener. You can set the bevel angle and is that a counter balance? Holy smokes all it needs is a couple brass gauges some gears and a smokestack to be a fully steampunk knife sharpener!

How well does it maintain the proper bevel around the belly(?) to the point? 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

You can set the bevel angle and is that a counter balance?

How well does it maintain the proper bevel around the belly(?) to the point? 

Actually, if you are refering to the big cylindrical part, that is a case that protects the mechanism that allows you to flip the knife over. This is one of my favorite parts. You have the plus-shaped piece that acts like a spring and puts tension on the two little rollers that rotate until they pop into the notches when you turn it 180 degrees to flip the blade. You can even adjust the tension of the spring. It is pretty ingenious.

image.jpeg

As far as your second question goes, It works well, even on a blade with a slightly recurved blade like the one in the picture.

35 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

how dya pronounce tsprov?

It stands for Tech Studio Profile. Yeah, that's what I said...

On 2017. 05. 24. at 5:51 AM, Frosty said:

SWEET score Gergley! That is a manual iron worker isn't it? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, Sir, I think so. It's like one real big plate shears that can handle bar and angle iron stock, too. and it's BIG! 

On 5/22/2017 at 9:08 PM, Melw45 said:

Hum Lets see extra large quench tank  to act as cooling for the motor. Make a pulley to use in place of the prop. 

Use that to drive a over head line shaft to drive the 2x72 grinder.

Or maybe i just use the electric motor. :D

Mel

I think you could put the boat motor in a tank to run a hydroelectric generator that would run the electric motor for the 2X72. Just need to fugure out how to power the boat motor so you can have a perpetual motion machine....maybe somehow hooked to your forge and change the boat motor to steam...yea, that's it, that will work! 

Dragged these old weights (?) out of the scrap pile today. They measure 230mm diameter and 300 mm long - that calculates out at about 215 pounds. I think set in a log or something they would make a reasonable post anvil. I would like to put together a display of 'substitute anvils' - railway iron, axles, mine stamper blocks etc. I guess in the past there are many things that were used when a 'real' anvil wasn't available.

weights.JPG

weights 2.JPG

Aus, You DO know that pictures of your scrap piles make me jealous right? <_< LOL I swear you guys have the best looking old scrap. Some of those wheels are things of beauty on their own.

Those are some heavy duty weights there. Are they cast iron or steel? That longer thinner one would be great laid on it's side for drawing out on.

Another thought for the weights would be to hang one from an engine hoist as a buck for upsetting across the anvil or holding down that really BIG stack of papers on your desk.

I envy your scraps too and maybe even more so a wife that lets you keep that many resources.

Yesterday I found a treadmill with a 2 HP. motor to finish off my 2" x 72" belt grinder. I've been watching Craigslist  for a couple months and not seeing anything good. Went garage/yard/etc. saling yesterday and found what I needed first stop and maybe 3 miles from home. The second one I stopped at had a 1HP. motor for not much and a really nice, heavy duty if rusty and needing work bench drill press for about scrap price. It was darned tempting, I already have a drill press but is rusty old beauty has a quill lock and nobody seems to be putting quill locks on drill presses anymore. Handy thing quill locks but if folk don't know how to use them why bother? <sigh> 

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Aus, You DO know that pictures of your scrap piles make me jealous right? <_< LOL I swear you guys have the best looking old scrap. Some of those wheels are things of beauty on their own.

Those are some heavy duty weights there. Are they cast iron or steel? That longer thinner one would be great laid on it's side for drawing out on.

Das, I think they are steel, as there are no apparent cast marks. And some of those wheels are pretty heavy. We have a crane that can reach in there and I'm thinking of lifting them out an making an avenue of wheels.

Frosty, a wife who is tolerant of scrap is a great asset. She doesn't complain as long as the stuff is not visible from the house. This particular scrap pile is not on my place though - it is one of several at the museum complex where I work each day.  I often go for a look around there to find something either for display or to use in the forge. I find stuff I didn't know was there all the time.

:o Look at'em all!

Have you ever seen park benches made with old wagon wheels as the ends? Some of those made into benches would probably look great around the museum I bet.  I have a couple steel wagon wheels I've been wanting to make into benches. In my opinion some of those would be way better. 

Benches and wheels...I designed and made a number of these for the Spen Valley Greenway cycle path which runs along an old railway line...so they were meant to be all about movement and look like they would take off and giro down the path when you sat on them...largest holes I have drifted to date in the centre bar...

Alan

592adf61a2253_AlanEvans341spen-bench.jpg.71cd3f895757a40d09012b4c607e8362.jpg592adf66abcd9_AlanEvansSpenbench.jpg.ce83962fd8acb2ed42cad01159fa2d7f.jpg592adf5ee85b2_AlanEvans340-spen-bench.jpg.fd676fbf722b42f0ea7c7be6a31ebaa8.jpg