I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Me; I would lay it out and blip holes for the bolt heads in the top of the bench---or do so in a sacrificial board to use as a spacer. I might look into replacing the hex head bolts with carriage bolts too.

As to the fin---are British Patents open for viewing like old American ones?  I'd like to see what they said about it...

But that is an extremely neat find indeed! Especially with the catalogue reference!

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Especially with students I have seen a lot of hot steel accidentally make it into an open slack tank.  As we use a lot of A36 nowadays which often should NOT be quench but merely normalized I tend to not have water in my forge.

I have also seen a student take a knifeblade that they have worked several hours on, destroy it by quenching it even when I was screaming NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at them. (And yes we had covered that in class but videogames and Hollywood override what actual smiths tell them at times...)

22 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Will you be making a flipover lid for it to help discourage blade suicides?  I've really like the "step on a pedal to open the lid trash cans for quench tubs; but it's hard to find the metal ones anymore.

Ha, I agree...put a top on the slack tub. Was working a small vegetable chopper (from a file) and it hopped off my anvil right into the tub. I heard it crack, couldn’t have made that chip shot if I tried. The cracked chopper is now in my overflowing "lessons learned" bucket

Over the last 36 years I have seen some *amazing* "3 cushion billiards" trick shots by high carbon steel seeking it's doom in an open water container.  It's not a hard thing to prevent; but I would suggest any lid be easily flipped up with a foot, hammer, pair of tongs, etc.

Many smiths are led astray by the historical smithys with the large, often half barrel, slack tubs; but not realizing that they were working real wrought iron with a very low carbon content and so quenching had no effect on it but cooling.  We are generally working very different materials nowadays and so blindly following earlier methods with modern materials can be a BAD idea!

2 hours ago, Melw45 said:

Jasent

Those look brand new. You going to make blades from them?

Mel

I think they are brand new. Came from a side by side that was new and got a major suspension upgrade.  Idk what I'll do with them yet. If I knew more about what they came from id sell them but they will prob get made into something at some point. I got so much spring steel now 

Exactly, it's rather trivial to acquire leaf and coal springs and so having a ton of it on hand may be a waste of space and an annoyance to the spouse/neighbors.  I stock enough to handle a bunch of projects and leave the rest at my local scrapyard. (Though I do tend to buy odd sized ones as i find them because stock close to needed size saves a lot of work!)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Exactly, it's rather trivial to acquire leaf and coal springs and so having a ton of it on hand may be a waste of space and an annoyance to the spouse/neighbors.  I stock enough to handle a bunch of projects and leave the rest at my local scrapyard. (Though I do tend to buy odd sized ones as i find them because stock close to needed size saves a lot of work!)

Neither of those are my issue. My only issue is the lack of personal time these days to play in the shop! But winter is only 5 months away where I will have tons of free time and no money to spend. I will continue stocking my scrap yard and fuel till then and working (playing) when I get the chance.  Haven't paid for a peace of steel yet

Winter is coming.....

If you cut those coils up into segments with a circumference of about 8 to 10 inches (good for punches and chisels), they will take up a lot less space. It will also save you time when you get around to straightening them and making them into something.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I have run into a few coated/painted springs lately that must have had a zinc coating under the paint so just be cautious about that. 

Even if you don't strip the entire spring, a test spot with a dab of paint stripper will show you what's under the paint.

Well it didn't follow me home but is along the fence row at the back of my landlords property:  old farm implements not used and probably unusable now but I went out and measured some of it and there is a 14' long and 2 5' long pieces of 2.25" sq stock and 12' of 1.25" sq stock.  Now old farm equipment often is medium to high carbon steel.  Perhaps I need to talk with my landlord about buying some scrap off him...240 pounds for the big long piece's weight...

Lionel......If that woman decides to leave you, let me know....lol        Just kidding, great woman and great score. You better make her something real nice.          Life is Good                    Dave

28 minutes ago, Lionel h said:

This followed my wife home, then she gave it to me.  Great woman ! It has 5 inch jaws and what looks like a bronze screw box. Any ideas as to the maker? Now I need to get to making a spring and mount. 

Nice vice! That brass bit would polish up well.

We have a lot of these around the place (mostly incomplete ones in the scrap) and I can't ever recall seeing a maker's mark on any of them.

And what a thoughtful wife you have!  :wub:

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:36 AM, JHCC said:

If you cut those coils up into segments with a circumference of about 8 to 10 inches (good for punches and chisels), they will take up a lot less space. It will also save you time when you get around to straightening them and making them into something.

Good advice. If you get a lot of them don't pile them all up in a heap. They have a mind of their own and get tangled ... and the one you want is always at the bottom.

On 17/05/2017 at 2:27 PM, Zeroclick said:

There is always strawberry field outside Bridlington. Or Redcar racecourse is usually decent.

I didn't know Redcar Racecourse boot sale was still running, it was always one of the better ones......I'll pencil that one in......cheers.

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I didn't know Redcar Racecourse boot sale was still running, it was always one of the better ones......I'll pencil that one in......cheers.

Yeh it is a good one there is also a good one at York auction house it is a good one and worth the bit of travel. The one at Bridlington is really good it can take you all day to even get round.

From my granny's barn, like I said she is moving, so having to go through stuff. old wench, Alamo ironworks San Antonio Texas, started as a blacksmith shop and foundry on the banks of the San Antonio river in 1875, and the company is still in existence. It's purty cool, don't know what to do with though. hahah. Handle looks hand forged, and wrought iron, wrapped eye.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6324[1].JPG

IMG_6325[1].JPG

IMG_6326[1].JPG

IMG_6327[1].JPG