I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 3/8/2017 at 4:52 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Well at any high elevation it wouldn't really matter...

I had a math problem once about dropping objects from the Seas tower-- 208 mph when they hit the ground...

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shape plays a role due to air resistance (drag) - Mythbusters demonstrated that a penny dropped the distance of the Empire State Building only achieved a maximum of 64.4 mph.  However, dropped in a vacuum, it would go much faster.   

Skydivers falling with the bodies parallel with the ground are maxed out at around 125 mph or so - but if they go headfirst, they can get up to around 200 mph or so.  There are competition skydivers who have reached up to 330 mph wearing the right aerodynamic stuff......the fastest skydiver was that guy that dove from 128,000 feet to break Kittinger's record.  Somewhere up in the thin atmosphere, he reached a speed of 833.9 mph, because of little air resistance.  He was the first person to break the sound barrier in free fall - they calculated it at Mach 1.24.  However, as the free fall continued,  as the air got thicker, he slowed down.

I had over 20 feet of 3/8 round in varying sizes come me home from work yesterday. They used to be part of long rods used to put/adjust tension on gate frames. They burn off the excess when welding them to the gate and throw them to the side until they get around to clearing some of them out. Obviously yesterday was that day.

I also found an odd ball and socket joint I found in the scrap bin. I'll cut off the socket part keeping it as intact as I can to see if it has a use I don't know about yet. The ball with be smoothed and polished that again I'm not sure what I might actually need it for. I knew it wasn't scrap so I saved it, that's what's important. :) 

On 2017. 03. 11. at 9:42 PM, Michael Cochran said:

I had over 20 feet of 3/8 round in varying sizes come me home from work yesterday. They used to be part of long rods used to put/adjust tension on gate frames. They burn off the excess when welding them to the gate and throw them to the side until they get around to clearing some of them out. Obviously yesterday was that day.

I also found an odd ball and socket joint I found in the scrap bin. I'll cut off the socket part keeping it as intact as I can to see if it has a use I don't know about yet. The ball with be smoothed and polished that again I'm not sure what I might actually need it for. I knew it wasn't scrap so I saved it, that's what's important. :) 

You're surely gonna need the ball sometimes. I recently have a crave for bigger half spheres for power hammer tooling. I have one as an anvil tool - I don't use it very often, but it's definitely worthy. It was a part of a truck, can't remember the name, Thomas Powers wrote about it several days ago...

58c6125b4051e_201703ifigmbbetet.thumb.jpg.34feed8340101b332b9c3e8380740d2c.jpg58c6125c9e84b_201703ifigmbbetet2.thumb.jpg.910ba0017546dda6bfe7c7dc71445b89.jpg

From yesterday's fair a 3m/10' long 40x10 / ~1,5x3/8" flat stock followed me home. I really hope it's wrought or at least some fine old MS because there is 10-12 more pieces left there. It was something like reinforcing element in the roofing of a very old house. I go and test it ASAP.

Bests:

Gergely

On 3/8/2017 at 8:13 PM, 51 Papy said:

Stopped by Tractor Suppy in St Joseph, MO.  They were the only store showing nut coal in stock in the areas I travel for work.  29 bags of coal followed me home at $2.00 a bag.  Regularly $5.99 here.  Got some nut and rice. Bags were not great but good enough to get to the 55 gal drum.  Spring stuff is in the store here they are closing the heating out.

Papy

Hope this works better for you than it did for me. The Kimmels coal I got from TSC 2 years ago made a lot of clinker, it would clog up my rivit forge in no time. I still have 200 lb, I may make a side blast forge to use it.

Picked these up Saturday. 105# Trenton...137# Mousehole....and a 927 Pexto stake. The stake is headed to an armourer I know. I guess carrying a ball bearing in my pocket is working! Better check that it's not actually an anvil magnet.

tmp_5343-20170312_193543_Richtone(HDR)924908584.jpg

tmp_5343-20170312_1946391280090760.jpg

I needed a walk, so I went to the scrapyard to poke about. I found 190 lbs of 1060 that had the manufacturers tag on one piece. It's 4"X 1/2" and many of the blanks are long enough to get into swordplay. If you've been keeping up with me I just got a 25lb Little Giant. This is the perfect material for me to learn to draw out and grind on. I know this isn't the best steel for knives, but have read it will be good for swords, choppers, and hawks. Anyone have any advice on tempering and quenching 1060?

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

Elemental

It will produce some clinker.  I like it better than the soft southern Kansas coal as it burns a lot longer and full price seems to be about 1/3 the price.  Dumb luck, I run a break drum forge. Long story short, decided it was to deep so I built up with a piece of pipe and put dirt in to fill the bottom 1 1/2"between fire brick.  Dirt came out but now that's where most of the clinker settles now.  It works but you don't weld anything at the end of the day.

JHCC

Never used any rice coal.  Maybe it will light easier ya right.  Guess I'm going to find out.  TSC ran their heating close out in this area the weekend before I made this deal.  Don't wait to long! Good luck!

When you have been sick for over a week and haven't got to play in the shop then you go to the doctors and they load you up on antibiotics and take your blood and give you shots, you need some comfort. I looked at my funds today and finally pulled the trigger on something I've been wanting/ needing for a while. First time I've really felt good in a while! Now I'm excited! 

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

So jealous I'm turning green. Time to get to work now to pay for the thing lol.

That's the plan. My small welder has paid for itself many times over. It just can't do the big stuff. So now I can start doing the big stuff. It's an investment. :) 

Greetings Das,

Congratulations on a wise investment. It will serve you well.  If we do not see a lot of post for the next few weeks we will know what you are doing. Buying good equipment does not cost... It pays.. 

Forge/ weld on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Lovely welder. Reminds me when I bought my first 250A MIG, what a difference it makes to AC transformer welder!

One thing I learned is that when it is windy, and the argon get's blown away, you want to use flux cored wire, that far from what I thought it's actually a very good and hot weld. Furthermore if you try thicker core fluxed wire and change the torch bits accordingly you will be able to weld very thick material.