I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Hmmmm, the auto incline is calling out, "Acme "crew" to me. Have you plugged it in yet? A lot of treadmills hit the streets because folk have enough hangers for their clothes and need room for some other fad fitness machine for the cat to hid under.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Hmmmm, the auto incline is calling out, "Acme "crew" to me. Have you plugged it in yet? A lot of treadmills hit the streets because folk have enough hangers for their clothes and need room for some other fad fitness machine for the cat to hid under.

Frosty The Lucky.

I plugged it up and while slow to start it does run. Well I didn't leave it on for long so i don't know if it's actin up or they just got tired of it. I haven't had the time to look at it today to see just what all I can scavenge from it because it was a busy day after the yard sale (son had his 3rd birthday party today and wife's 87 year old grandmother broke down on the way to the party so we had to fix her car before she could go home).

21 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Unfortunately I didn't look before we loaded it but it has a 1.25 HP DC motor so I'll either have to figure out how to build a rectifier for it to build shop equipment or I may just have to use it for what it was meant for. Excercise :( 

Every treadmill I've seen so far uses a DC motor.  However, since you plug them into an AC circuit and they pretty much all have a speed control built into them, they already have what you need for variable speed tool repurposing.  You may have to build some enclosures to keep the dust and such out of the electronics though.

My supervisor at work is a 'knife maker' and uses some of the scrap materials to grind knives from. We were talking about that the other day and he went out and brought me back an old bandsaw blade. When I cut it open and layed it flat it was 14 feet long before I cut off a piece for a hacksaw (thanks Thomas powers for that helpful suggestion). I also got a couple pieces from broken weaving blades from the machines. I'll have to call the company to see if i can find out about the alloy. It's some tough stuff that makes a portaband throw sparks when you cut it so it might make decent chisels or knives.

This hammer of dubious ancestry followed me home from a garbage (...or was that garage?) sale today.  The eye is humongous, about 2" X 1 1/4".  The previous owner probably couldn't find a handle to fit it and welded the piece of pipe on instead.  I'd be afraid to use it in this configuration, but I may cut the handle off of it and see if I can find/make a handle for it.  Not sure what else it might be good for.  Any suggestions?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/olfart/Hammer_zpswjqlaa62.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/olfart/Hammer Eye_zpsihixangt.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/olfart/Hammer Price_zps3yt6mnuf.jpg

I hope it's worth what I paid for it.

I'd 86 a person for welding a steel handle to a hammer in my shop. Really hard on your joints, I'm NOT DIGGING those BAD vibrations.

I like your goats, how many do you have? I miss the African Pygmies.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good points.  I'll look around for a handle that might fit it, then worry about cutting/heat treating.

I've given the huge eye some more thought... what if I cut the head in half in the eye, then hammer the eye walls out perpendicular to the remaining head?  Maybe I could draw the head out some more and make a flatter out of half of this head.

We have 5 goats (Nubian and Nubian/Boer cross) at the moment, milking one.  Another I hope is pregnant, and two young does that will not be dating until next May. I'm getting about 2.5 quarts of milk a day, and we only use about 1 quart a day.  Having trouble trying to find folks to give the excess to.  I hate dumping good milk down the drain.

We used to live on goats milk junket every evening for pudding. Any junket left over was hung up in a muslin square and dripped, the cottage cheese on top of bread and jam was delicious. Almost as good as a cream tea.

Mum tried butter and cheese but she found they were too labour intensive for the return. Junket and cottage cheese were pretty easy.

Alan

I bought a mattock handle yesterday, as it was the only thing that came close to the right size. The head end of the handle is tapered, but the taper is big enough to fill most of the hammer eye.  I drove the handle into the head as far as I could, which left about 1/4" of wood on top of the head and about 1/4" gap on the bottom side of the head at both ends of the eye.  I filled the gaps with JB Weld, now I'll drill the head throug both sides and pin it.

14 minutes ago, olfart said:

I bought a mattock handle yesterday, as it was the only thing that came close to the right size. The head end of the handle is tapered, but the taper is big enough to fill most of the hammer eye.  I drove the handle into the head as far as I could, which left about 1/4" of wood on top of the head and about 1/4" gap on the bottom side of the head at both ends of the eye.  I filled the gaps with JB Weld, now I'll drill the head throug both sides and pin it.

Don't bother pinning it; it will just make it harder to replace the handle. If the JB Weld doesn't hold up, try Shoe Goo. 

Concerning surplus  goat's milk.

Goat cheese is a cheese fancier's gourmet treat. It is in demand, especially the sharp tasting variety. Check out the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's extensive courses and course materials for goat cheese manufacture. Their Materials are some of the best available. (one of the  Ben & Jerry's founders learned ice cream making from their published books). If they have not covered the subject check the United Nations F.A.O. books for the subject.

If the surplus milk must be discarded, consider diluting it with water and using it on your garden & lawn. It makes excellent fertilizer.

We discard sour milk in this manner.

Cheers.

SLAG.

Surplus goat milk would be easy to get rid of where I live. I recently had to get some to cure a case of pink eye. A few drops in the eye, and the pain went away and it cleared fairly quickly. 

The new job is already producing some goodies. I already have a few chunks of chain from #40 to #60-2, and we go up to #160 in size and triple wide. 

I am also going to be bringing home around 24 refrigerant tanks, like this one. Now I am looking for ideas on what to do with them..hahaha!

th?id=OIP.M2577bd50c551bb9683cc3672d13dd

No gas forges for sale. My time is limited, and most people would probably want to make their own for bragging rights. Plus they would only be good for small, or straight items as they are not that big in diameter. These are not the propane sized tanks. 

Now a personal BBQ grill is a possibility...

Mini steel drum instrument....

Luminarias..