I Forge Iron

It followed me home

It doesn't have a data plate or brand, mod, etc. cast proud? I'm thinking that's a 1930s or earlier design. I'd love to have it, it has a QUILL LOCK!!! :wub:

Is there any side lash in the quill? A little TLC and she should be good for a couple few more generations. I'd happily throw my current drill press away for that one.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An old gentleman passed away a while ago and his daughter was supposed to let me go through his tools.  Guess he had brought a woodworking chest with him from the Netherlands if I remember right.  Anyways the kids were up grabbed the stuff they wanted to keep and sold the house last November.  So never did get first look around.  Driving by I saw a yard sale and the new owners were clearing things out.  Found a few goodies.  neatest is the top tool for forming collars on diamond drill bits.  found a small rail anvil  in a back corner,  just didn't need it bad enough.  There was an Assayers furnace in the corner.  with a few small crucibles.  Wish I had my camera at the house.   Coolest though was the guy was talking about a few rifles and had found a box of 7x57 tucked in a corner.   I found the rifle stuffed between the floor joists in the basement.  Couldn't talk him out of it though.  Externally it was in rough shape no scope no open sights  and pretty rusty on the bottom side from were the mice were living on the blanket it sat on.  Bunch of other odds and ends there  but anything better he was holding onto for now.  SDSC02638.thumb.JPG.0c72e97521f9efe218ec7pent $40,  oh and a small kids compound bow that my daughter had already walked off with.  as they are getting interested in archery

DSC02630.thumb.JPG.e99f8f7588f74131449a4DSC02631.thumb.JPG.489b7ec2d1a7e5f26703eDSC02632.thumb.JPG.d69b9dcb6f12b8dbb6e60DSC02633.thumb.JPG.a851bf57c8929a0b8a889DSC02634.thumb.JPG.81a19714d38eb8a719e30DSC02636.thumb.JPG.bf4bb0ad4dd534789a4e2DSC02637.thumb.JPG.586ce4f5abeb9f1fe70a6

Since he had the straight razor, did he have the accessories like the stones, and strop to go with it?  Even with the chip in it, it looks far enough back that it shouldn't adversely affect its use.

That 20# sledge can come in handy. 

Before you use any of those grinding wheels make sure you give them a ring test while they are unmounted.  Slip something like a screwdriver through the arbor hole, then tap the outer edge with another screwdriver handle. It should have a ring , if not it is cracked and only good for use as a hand stone. Even after mounting, do a spin test by Turing the wheel on and letting it run for a minute without any load on it.  You do these tests even with new out of the box wheels. It is a good habit to get into. Also never mount a wheel without the paper blotters. If they are missing, you can make some out of heavier craft paper, or card stock.

To be honest I never even thought of looking for the strops and stones.  Wasn't in the upstairs of the house and didn't see anything when I was in the basement,  but there was wall to wall boxes and clutter.  I am sure there is more than a  few treasures stuck somewhere yet.  I did ring the unattached stone when I picked it up,  remember from the school safety videos how well they can explode.  I figured the razor would give me a nice pattern to work from if nothing else

Found a turn of the century Kerrihard belt driven pedestal grinder.  Had to drive quite a ways, but pedestal grinder 1.5 hp motor, tool rest, 4 grinding wheels (12") and a dressing tool for $100.

IMG_20160220_121811_021.thumb.jpg.9d6854

Friday I was helping out a scrapping buddy clear out a neighbors yard and came home with a 45 pound RR track anvil, 20 feet of 1/4x1" flat bar and 20 feet of 1/2" round bar.

Saturday there was a craig's list ad for a 200 pound anvil for $200.   I called the guy, he didn't remember any marking but said it looked like it had been hardly used.  Told him I would take it hoping it was usable.  Picked it up yesterday and this is what I found.   I think I am going to buy a lottery ticket.  181 pounds.

IMG_20160411_113706_974.thumb.jpg.319c9b

Beware of the wheels for the grinder, do the ring test and even then stay out of the plane of rotation. Having a stone wheel shatter in your face smarts while it's leaving marks.

Sweet deal on the HB.

You do realize that us living here in blacksmith tool poor Alaska are having trouble not hating you right now. Nothing personal you understand but SHEESH!

Yeah buy a lottery ticket is my advice.

Frosty The Lucky.

I will probably weld up some type of shroud for the grinder before I use it.  Saw a wheel come apart once, no injuries, but I know what it can do.

No worries Frosty, I think of you guys in the same vein every time hunting and trapping season rolls around.  Be a while before I stop smiling about the HB, most decent anvils around here run $5-$6 a pound.

Starbits

Nice to see an anvil sold for a reasonable price. That is in the $1 a pound range that I like to pay. 

For the guards on the grinder. Just remember that with larger diameter wheels you have a lot more centrifugal force than a standard 6" grinding wheel. I would use at least .090" on the sides and .125" on the circumference with full welds, or tabs as that is what will take the impact from a bad wheel. That size arbor will probably accept 14"-16" wheels. I have a big electric pedestal grinder that size and the wheels are 2" thick. You can do a lot of grinding with those big wheels, and always make sure you have the paper blotters in place when mounting the wheels.  Pay attention to wheel speeds, and do not overrun them. It is all about surface feet per minute to get the best performance. Larger wheels do not have to be spun as fast as smaller diameter wheels to get the same SFM. 

BGD  thanks for the advice on the shroud.   It will be at least that stout.

On 4/12/2016 at 6:30 PM, EJRailRoadTrack said:

But, but WHHHYYY would you sell the pretty girl?

It won't be sold.   I have considered being buried with it though, as a final practical joke on my pall bearers.

Picked this load up a while ago from an old chap who was a bit of a hoarder.

He said it came from a workshop working with steam/traction engines, nail/bolt headers, caulking chisels, spanners and a nice load of rusty bits mostly wrought judging by the grain showing

20160411_122119.jpg

20160411_123351.jpg

20160411_123419.jpg

20160411_123457.jpg

39 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Picked this load up a while ago from an old chap who was a bit of a hoarder.

He said it came from a workshop working with steam/traction engines, nail/bolt headers, caulking chisels, spanners and a nice load of rusty bits mostly wrought judging by the grain showing

Is that a doghead hammer in the middle of the second photo?