Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/14/2016 at 3:19 PM, JHCC said:

Some kind of bashed-in sheet metal box from the grocery store parking lot. Not sure what kind of metal this is: there's no rust, but it doesn't look like galvanized. (The reddish smear at the bottom is some kind of varnish or something, and the white powdery stuff is road salt.) I'm going to put some in vinegar and see if that changes anything.

I thought to take a magnet to this yesterday, and it didn't stick. Maybe some kind of 300-series stainless steel?

Showed up on my doorstep actually.  A friend whose wife was heavily into ceramics for many years saw the piece of kiln shelf I have as a floor in my forge.  He brought all of this stuff.  I think I have plenty floors now, but what else can they be used for in the blacksmith hobby?

shellves.JPG

18 hours ago, natenaaron said:

Showed up on my doorstep actually.  A friend whose wife was heavily into ceramics for many years saw the piece of kiln shelf I have as a floor in my forge.  He brought all of this stuff.  I think I have plenty floors now, but what else can they be used for in the blacksmith hobby?

shellves.JPG

Always useful. I pile up bits of insulant and fire bricks around a workpiece as an impromptu furnace/containment system when I need to heat something that is too big to go into and existing furnace, or I want to isolate the heat to one area. Often for things like brazing and soldering or annealing sheet work.

Alan

1 minute ago, Alan Evans said:

TSA?

Transportation Security Administration, the people in blue uniforms at the airports. They don't seem to like suitcases that weigh twice what they should, especially when they have lots of solid metal showing up on the X-ray.

This mornin I had to make a trip to the scrap yard to haul off some unsuable items and I saw a guy drive by with a load of car parts (axles, coil springs, rotors, etc). I got two coil springs from him and gave him my contact info so later when he goes to haul scrap from the auto shop he can let me know what he's got and give me pick before it goes to the scrap heap. This afternoon was an estate auction where I bought a couple candlesticks for the brass (thought about melting and castin a bar for knife hardware) and a friends wife gave me a meat cleaver that was in a box of junk they bought.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Don't mind the peas and corn on the table my two year old son is eating supper.

Michael, I'd guess you know but state for the heck of it that you better use a spring compressor to get the springs of those struts. just undoing the bolt or cutting and they pack a heavy duty punch that will mess you up. just had to say it. :)  you probably already know. Nice score.

Yes, Daswolf, I do know and I've been thinking about where to find one. It is a good things to say for those that don't know. I told a friend about getting them and he told me he's heard stories of them coming off and tearing people apart because they didn't do it the right way. I think I'll probably just buy a spring compressor if I get any more like this from that guy but these I think I'll try to take them to a local shop and see if they might be willing to take them off for me.

48 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

[...] I bought a couple candlesticks for the brass (thought about melting and castin a bar for knife hardware) [...]

Why not sell the candlesticks to someone who wants them, and buy brass scrap with the proceeds?

30 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Why not sell the candlesticks to someone who wants them, and buy brass scrap with the proceeds?

I had that thought too. They are really nice heavy candlesticks and it would be a waste to destroy them. If it makes a difference they have a tag from McRae's and a sticker that says 'Gatco solid brass.' They probably are worth more as they are and I'll definitely do some searching online before I do anything with them.

12 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

I got two coil springs from him and gave him my contact info

image.jpeg

Garages have a wall mounted clamping device for SAFELY removing the spring from the strut. It is under compression and can hurt you when it is being released.

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

Garages have a wall mounted clamping device for SAFELY removing the spring from the strut. It is under compression and can hurt you when it is being released.

I've done it with other cheap devices I have bought for coil springs.  It's sketchy and scares the xxxx out of me.

8 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Another good reason to be friends with your local mechanic.