I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Greetings Aus, 

Looks to me like a counter - weight for a machine.. I have one like it with a big star cast in..  This type of weight weight was used in sheet metal breaks and others where a return to position was required. Nice find .. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Aus, 

Looks to me like a counter - weight for a machine.. I have one like it with a big star cast in..  This type of weight weight was used in sheet metal breaks and others where a return to position was required. Nice find .. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I googled EAP & Co but found no reference. Perhaps they were an engineering company in colonial Brisbane.

Don't know what I'll do with it, but just didn't want the scrap dealer to get it.

Here's ag tractor axle I was able to cut with my portaband, the local weldor said he'd have to cut it with his abrasive cut-off saw due to hardness. Earlier threads here pointed out that might not be the case so I tested with a hacksaw and could not tell it from mild steel. The cut took fifteen minutes and a cut on mild steel afterward indicated no loss of blade sharpness, 2 3/4" diameter cut to 33" length. Grinding and a IMG_0733.thumb.JPG.2d67106da7450549358a4flap disc very easily finished the face and not surprisingly a rebound test with a 1" bearing ball dented the surface. That being said, the feeling of mass underneath is profound; my intent is to inlet it into a halved and banded log section. When the daytime high temps get above zero. Fahrenheit.

They're not made to be hard, they're tough so a decent hacksaw blade goes right through them. Unfortunately too many guys in metal trades don't have general metal shop schooling. It's really common for idjits to lean on bandsaws and do hand stands on hacksaws to make them cut faster. Just rolls the teeth so they don't cut worth diddly but you just can't tell some folk that. If you over hog a hot saw the sparks shower falls off and they can see that, they don't have to listen to the motor, singing of the blade, etc.

A good practice is to keep a wire brush next to your bandsaw to clean off dirt, rust, etc. before you cut it really makes the blades last longer.

One trick ponies, world's full of em.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess suitcases are meant for, well, ... suits!

I remember when we were building a stone house and I brought some attractive stones back from holiday from an island off the Qld coast. The taxi driver said 'What have you got in here, rocks?' He didn't really know he was right.

I just came home from an estate auction where which my wife wasn't able to attend so keep me in mind tonight cause who knows if I'll live when sees some of the junk I bought lol.

I missed out on a few things because the prices went a little higher than I was comfortable with (good example is the 20lb box of metal working chisels I've been kickin myself about all day) but I did find a few good deals. Just the tools I bought came out to $17 plus another $2 for a box of old knives (not pictured).image.thumb.jpeg.64d328eaaf31be763b95d43image.thumb.jpeg.6a0d887065fc15502077f92image.thumb.jpeg.b65a585ae4f4ec44c95e1feimage.thumb.jpeg.0e612e3e45f6ef8afe4f346image.thumb.jpeg.e5fb43641e86c4bf18f2fffimage.thumb.jpeg.a8e43fca3c57c3e7e738189image.thumb.jpeg.883eebc7544f1d7da36707eimage.thumb.jpeg.58eee238afb0b6a27051dcbimage.thumb.jpeg.1fdbb9512abf43089d83588image.thumb.jpeg.091dd3dea57992c8f4cebaaimage.thumb.jpeg.a422e3f094b1b4827a3d2f8image.thumb.jpeg.b3a3a6298d5fe4a46e82409image.thumb.jpeg.b7fd6e75fdf843e489741bcimage.thumb.jpeg.75206b5ae9b99526dfe635bimage.thumb.jpeg.18a33530f785268abdaf1daimage.thumb.jpeg.c2f50a07762bbe7cf6bd279image.thumb.jpeg.57cbab23712f5a3d29dbf84

7 minutes ago, Alan Evans said:

Someone should invent a hover case.

Alan

Just put the suitcase on one of those new hoverboards and hope it don't catch fire walkin around in the airport lol.

7 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Rusty gold!

If all goes well I'll clean these hammer so p in the next week and see if I can find any brand and makers stamps. Sadly I missed out on the bucket of hammer handles so it looks like I'll have to use some of the wood I have to make some. Bad thing is the guy that bought the handles didn't bid on the hammer heads.

The handles ended up goin for $15 so still a good price at about $1 each and the chisels ended up goin for about $25 which is a decent price as well. My problem was I knew my wife wanted a piece of the furniture so I had to make sure not so spend all my money before it came up or I would be in some trouble lol.

Aus, she told me the limit to spend on it and it went well over it. There were a few people bidding stupid prices.

Das, I do believe those are plow points. I actually had to ask one of the older fellas there to confirm it for me before the action started. I'm a little too young to know them like some here might know them lol.

Biggun, I was curious about that, thanks for sheddin some light on that for me.

I have two questions for whoever can answer. The little t shaped item I show in the hammer lot has me puzzled. I don't know what it is but I can't help but think of a little guy forgin pony shoes and usin that for the creaser/fuller. Can someone give me a more realistic idea what that might be? The other question is about me being lazy. I don't wanna use sandpaper to clean up all those hammer heas I feel i don't have to so can someone suggest a better method? I though about a vinegar soak and then just polishing the faces with sandpaper and I thought some more and I don't know if that'll bring back any markings that are probably faded almost from existence. Truth is I'm unsure what to do to clean them cause I've never had any that was that rusty before.