• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since everyone is on the subject of post drills, as far as safety, with these old machines, even if you are hand cranking it, you can get into trouble. There was not much thought about safety when these were made!

I would suggest that the machines are still as safe as they always were. If you know that you will turn your hand into handburger (pun intended) if you put it into the gears, the older generation knew better, and did not do that. The older generation did not put electric motors on those machines for a reason. The electric motors were available but were not used.

It is the operators using those tools today that are NOT safe or careful.  When told not to do something, they (todays generation)  go ahead just to see what WILL happen, followed by a Darwin award presented for their actions.

Pushing buttons on a game controller is not the same as standing beside moving gears and machinery. WOOPS has a very different meaning when there are no extra life, or do over options. Welcome to the real world.

"The older generation tended to retire minus digits, eyes, hearing, etc; too"

In my misguided youth I worked in the plate and angle shop in an old WWII ship yard.  That place was wild, 50 ton presses that were big enough to hide in, everything giant and ancient.  After getting a chemical burn in my eyes I started noticing everyone working there was missing something or limping or otherwise no whole.  These guys knew what they were doing but day after day, year after year stuff happened.  And as they say their scars were proof that the past was real.  I quit that job in a hurry but I always look back on it and my coworkers fondly.

The older generation tended to retire minus digits, eyes, hearing, etc; too

Generally speaking, ... for a variety of reasons, ... earlier Generations were more willing to accept Workplace Hazards.

Times, and People were different.

Not "Better" or "Worse", ... just different, ... with different priorities and perceptions.

had this for a while but tidying up today found it again, a pick axe head, a few years ago Hector Cole made a raising hammer head a bit bigger than this that looked about the same shape but without the spike

I forget what these were called, ... but my Dad has mentioned using one, when replacing rotted out cross-ties under Railroad track.

When a new cross-tie was slid into place, under the track,  ... that tool was used to compact the gravel under the new tie.

Gravel was pounded in under the cross-tie, until the tie was forced up, tight under the track.

Brutally hard work, ... that was routinely assigned to "new" employees, to see if they'd "stick".

Needless to say, ... He quickly got Himself "Certified" to run Heavy Equipment.  :P

I found these chisel-like objects. I made a rectangular slot punch out of one (works well). I'm told on another thread that these are cape chisels for cutting cold sheet steel, although I'm not so sure how that would work.
Anyway, I gathered up a bunch of them. Any other ideas of what could be made from them? They seem to be good hexagon tool steel.
post-50874-0-47956800-1403179606_thumb.j

"The cape chisel has a narrow cutting edge and is used for cutting narrow grooves"  textbook "Metalwork Technology and practice"

"The cape chisel has a narrow blade for cutting keyways and grooves"  textbook "General Metals"

so not sheetmetal as much as keyways

As for tooling: punches, drifts, chisels, etc.

I have seen some offset chisels similar to those used for old leaded cast iron pipe joints.  First you pound oakum in like caulking a wood planked boat and then pour lead in the joint and pound that in.  If the pipe is horizontal you used an asbestos rope to act as a dam so the lead doesn't just pour out.  Because the pipe can be in all sorts of awkward positions lots of interesting offset chisels are needed.

One of the guys I work with asked me if I wanted an old grinder mounted on a heavy metal table. Of course I said I did, he forgot about the vise that was mounted on it too. Even threw in the 1/3 hp motor. I love free stuff for my shop.

post-47834-0-25235300-1403268151_thumb.j

post-47834-0-02709900-1403268195_thumb.j

post-47834-0-00680100-1403268233_thumb.j

Got a good score today. A Walker Turner drill press, in great condition, with a stand, and a 270# Fisher  for $300 for both. The Fisher has a few torch gouges and edge chips, but all minor. Good and flat, with some minor 'texturing' on the face. One odd thing (Josh- you out there?) where the date is (Or should be), it only has the numbers '192'. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of any other number. Any one have any ideas? For bragging rights, I think I'll claim I paid $250 for the drillpress, and $50 for the anvil. That makes it less than $.20 per pound!

Steve

Got a good score today. A Walker Turner drill press, in great condition, with a stand, and a 270# Fisher  for $300 for both. The Fisher has a few torch gouges and edge chips, but all minor. Good and flat, with some minor 'texturing' on the face. One odd thing (Josh- you out there?) where the date is (Or should be), it only has the numbers '192'. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of any other number. Any one have any ideas? For bragging rights, I think I'll claim I paid $250 for the drillpress, and $50 for the anvil. That makes it less than $.20 per pound!

Steve

Hi Steve....Yes I am out there in the IFI world.  Could you post or send some photos of the anvil?  I can give you better information.  Or you can throw it in you truck and come visit the museum someday and get firsthand information.

Nice score.

From the scrapyard today.

90% rebound over most of the face, corners not too bad, 163kg (350#), R900/$90

Am already considering what sort of tooling I can make to fit in the slot.

Need some welding rods to fill that 'blemish' ?

I got contacted about some gear that was for sale.  Went and had a look yesterday and came home with these.

post-20376-0-66766000-1403404342_thumb.j post-20376-0-46988500-1403404399_thumb.j

along with another bench vice which I sold on the way home.

The big anvil was covered in a couple of layers of paint which I started scraping off to try and identify (I'll post more pics in anvils), it worked out to be 273#.  The baby is cast steel and I have no idea of maker but it got carried inside and put on the dinner table temporarily as a table ornament.

I got contacted about some gear that was for sale.  Went and had a look yesterday and came home with these.

attachicon.gif20140622_111836.jpg attachicon.gif20140622_113918.jpg

along with another bench vice which I sold on the way home.

The big anvil was covered in a couple of layers of paint which I started scraping off to try and identify (I'll post more pics in anvils), it worked out to be 273#.  The baby is cast steel and I have no idea of maker but it got carried inside and put on the dinner table temporarily as a table ornament.

Nice score. The small one is a John Brooks cast steel anvil. Made in England obviously. 

All the best 

Andy