I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Greetings Anachronist,

A Green River is a foot vise made mainly for shoes BUTT they are oh so handy in the shop... The no. 3 comes with bolt header blocks and a locking system for upsetting long bars...  Google them  I think also there is a thread on IFI..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Jim Coke, I think I'm in love!IMG_0256-1.jpg

Several images on thread, Gorgeous! And here's more:

I will definitely be thinking about replicating that action on a post vise, although it just won't be the same as a real one.

Anachronist58: I thought I recognised those stumps in your photos. They look like Blue Gums to me. I have them growing all over my place and my home anvil sits on a blue gum log.

Crush the leaves and take a deep breath, close your eyes and you're in Australia. B)

Anachronist58: I thought I recognised those stumps in your photos. They look like Blue Gums to me. I have them growing all over my place and my home anvil sits on a blue gum log.

Crush the leaves and take a deep breath, close your eyes and you're in Australia. B)

OK, as long as when I open them, I am standing in your 'junk' pile!

I hosted the local smithing group meeting---at my church as it has the shade, land, shade, parking, shade, and good shade!

To help people find it I put out a few anvil signs---traced from my anvils onto scrap plywood and cut out and painted black---you follow the horns to get to the site, did it the night before.  Well I had a fellow show up that night to find out about the anvils---he was a competitive Farrier and did some smithing as well.  So he showed up the next day and wowed the group with how fast and nicely he worked and donated a bunch of old farriers' rasps and I had one of the new guys forge a rasptlesnake from one.  Just got home and unloaded the stacked over the cab truck and am about to assay a brown pop!

This was a bit too good to leave behind, although I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. It's a solid ingot of zinc - measures 18 inches by 9 inches and it's 1.5 inches thick. Weighs 63 pounds according to the weight calculator. Has a nice indented shape of Australia cast into it. It would certainly add mass to an anvil as a base plate. 

Any ideas what else it could be used for - functional or artistic??

post-50874-0-06813800-1399891554_thumb.j

Greetings all,

The good stuff is still out there...  I went to an estate sale this AM and came out like a bandit..  Punches . copper hammers, tapered drifts, cut offs ,  ect all for 24 bucks ... The previous day I found the Vaugn rounding hammer for 9.00 at a flea market,  Five days before I found the Green River No. 3 with all the bolt header blocks and caulk blocks intact.. I had to pay bigger bucks for that one but I wanted it...  I am indeed a happy camper..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-93012900-1400189954_thumb.j

post-30666-0-55767200-1400189987_thumb.j

I re-purposed this today.  

Holy Moly!  That's a great find.  I'd love to have something like that.  The size is just perfect for a small shop.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for a CNC work plate table.  Never even heard of such an animal before.

So; I visited my favorite quite small local scrapyard yesterday; told the jefe that I had my allowance on me and hoped to find some good stuff---so he directs me to the large bottom of a water tank next to the scales and I proceeded to drag out 4 WI wagon tyres of differing sizes; the rest of the yard only produced: a cast iron skillet (remains of last meal in it so I know it wasn't used for lead), a 4' wagon tyre strap, a small thin bit of WI, 20 large nails 12" long, 3/8" diameter---nicely rusty! A strip of rock screen made from woven rod to use to hold harding tooling with 1" stems, a 2' chunk of 7/8" sucker rod with the male end on it.  Oh yes a bit of old chain for wind bell use.

130 pounds for US$26 and over 100 pounds of it is wrought iron...  (and yes I was wearing the disreputable red hat with the WI dowsing horns on it...)

Went to an estate sale over the weekend, prices were very high but I got a few bits.  The biggest was this table, a slab of I-beam with a hardy and pritchel cut in, a clamp, leg vise mount, and pipes for stock.  The top and bottom are 1 5/8" thick, the whole things weighs 500 lbs.  That plus some bags of misc. tools (including a very nice bick) for $30.  The cone mandrel is from the sale, too, along with a floor cone that starts at the bottom diameter of the cone mandrel and finishes about 20" dia.  Also got a piece of 3/4" plate that may get set into a bench as a work plate or stake plate, haven't decided.

post-417-0-61825100-1400525122_thumb.jpg

Been looking for a pipe for a chimney for a few months now.

Today at the scrapyard, 6 meters long, 220mm diameter and 4mm wall thickness.

One third of the price I was quoted for a new chimney. It will probably outlast me.

Been looking for a pipe for a chimney for a few months now.

Today at the scrapyard, 6 meters long, 220mm diameter and 4mm wall thickness.

One third of the price I was quoted for a new chimney. It will probably outlast me.

Nice find, congrats!

BTW been there:

I was looking for a suitable chimney for months, too. Only found a big hood-like thing cut from an old grain elevator (?). Then once I mentioned it to my father-in-law, who has already gained the good reputation as nr1 Maecenas of my smithing intentions. He called me to visit the local flour mill, where he works and we managed to find a complete set to build a chimney. Hood part: 44 cm dia pipe on solid stand which bears the whole chimney. Chimney part: 3 pieces of 33 cm dia pipe with attaching collars. Plus a "rain cap" on the top. He even had it installed, I just had to tell the instructions. Am I being spoiled or what?

No pics yet because it got ready on Monday and I just tested it yesterday: got the camera with me but no time to take any pictures, there was too much fun. It's soooo good not have any smoke in the shop.

Bests:

Gergely

Went to a friend and fellow pickers place the other night to pick up a 2 HP electric motor for an old LG power hammer I've got sitting around, got the motor for $25 works great. Well, I ended up digging around his barns and I bought a nice forge, rigged up with an electric blower, a nice working cannady otto blower, 200 lbs of coal and a handfull of tongs all for $50. I really don't need the forge but couldn't pass it up for that price! Also got a post vice, gave him $40 for it, don't need it but why not. He gave me a nice pexto planishing hammer, I've got several they are great hammers. Got to make some more room in the shop. It's a rare day that I don't bring a load home.

post-39154-0-83841300-1400795375_thumb.jpost-39154-0-62193500-1400795379_thumb.jpost-39154-0-37733600-1400795382_thumb.jpost-39154-0-16563500-1400795385_thumb.jpost-39154-0-07480300-1400795450_thumb.j

Well Not the Norm thing that one usually brings home with ones self . However, A Fellow "Junior Smith in Training" Followed me Home for a few Weeks to a few Months . Yes ! Looks Like He will be doing a bit of Training ,Forging, and Learning. Good Stout Fellow he is and good at Heart and Mind. so we will see .

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I had a profitable week. Helped a friend clean out his garage, and he gave me an old Miller thunderbolt 225 buzz box.post-10021-0-54107300-1402153813_thumb.j

Then I went to the scrap yard and picked up some steel at 40 cents/lb. Why oh why did I ever buy new steelsection of them not making railings, I'm just playing around! So here is the result of all that scrap:post-10021-0-32303100-1402153839_thumb.j

I've got a little more work to do on it, and my welds are exceedingly ugly, but I'm hoping to overcome my altitude problem (my gas forge doesn't like to play well at 8500 ft). That and I love working a solid fuel forge. Being able to localize my heat to a small section of the piece is so convenient.