I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Actually the gear reducer is a 2 speed, 50 rpm and believe it or not 1 rpm. That is some crazy torque though, interestingly it makes no mention of the input speed, which in reality would determine the actual output speed. 

Good score. "600" weight oil (140 w Gear Lube) is still available. 

Since in addition to a bronze worm it likely has plain bronze bearings definitely use the 600 w (140 w gear lube) NOT 80-90 w gear lube. 

Too bad the hp was left blank but with such a high numerical ratio, 1 hp max would twist anything and not risk the gear box integrity too much. 

Good find, replacement value today would be thousands. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

''Actually the gear reducer is a 2 speed, 50 rpm and believe it or not 1 rpm. That is some crazy torque though, interestingly it makes no mention of the input speed, which in reality would determine the actual output speed.'' 

I recon you should have a deco at that box.... it's just like a Radisson box ie  1 shaft in and 1 out !!! So you read the plate? How are you going to get 2 speeds out ?

Ian

My twister was made from a 50 to one gear reducer that weghs 250-300lbs. I can't tell for sure what the reduction  is on yours or how big it is but it needs to be big  for twisting. The output shaft on yours I'd guess is 2-21/2'' which is about right. Mine will twist 1.25 square cold and much larger hot. I just use 90wt gear lube in mine and it works well.

My guess is it weighs near 300.. My wife could barely lift it off the trailer...

What size motor do you use to drive your twister and how is it attached, would a rubber coupling direct drive work? should I move this interigation to another place/topic? don't want to monopolize the space

Cool finds. Almost looks like Railroad initials on the hook.

I found it not to far from a BNSF scrap yard.

My guess is that the two speeds refers to input and out put, I may be confusing speed with ratio.

Actually the gear reducer is a 2 speed, 50 rpm and believe it or not 1 rpm. That is some crazy torque though, interestingly it makes no mention of the input speed, which in reality would determine the actual output speed. 

Good score. "600" weight oil (140 w Gear Lube) is still available. 

Since in addition to a bronze worm it likely has plain bronze bearings definitely use the 600 w (140 w gear lube) NOT 80-90 w gear lube. 

Too bad the hp was left blank but with such a high numerical ratio, 1 hp max would twist anything and not risk the gear box integrity too much. 

Good find, replacement value today would be thousands. 

Thanks for the correct oil datum, I will open it up and see what it looks like inside, or maybe not...

Thousands? my goodness...

I scored 10 of these 55 gallon drums with lids and snap rings the other day when dropping off donations at the local humane society.  All were food grade and previously being used by them to hold dog food & such.  When I saw them I asked what they were used for now, the response was they were just trying to just get rid of them.  Enough said and the price was right!  Now my scrap metal piles are organized and stored outside, as well as any flammables that before were being stored outside in metal garbage cans which leaked.  I'll probably try to sell some of the extra ones here locally.

post-34362-0-38714900-1388785158_thumb.j

Thank you!

She's a Chevy '55 early 1/2 ton running a stock 350 with a 400 hydramatic tranny, stock rearend for the truck which was the first open drive shaft, 3.90 gear ratio.  I've had her 20+ years and drove her during college, then when I got married and had kids I had these grand ideas to do a frame off restoration.  She didn't come back together until my oldest was 15 and we started discussing a car for her to drive.  My wife jokingly said there's a truck in the garage, why don't you fix that up and give Caroline your Honda.  I liked that idea and went to work.  Somewhere along the way, during the front disc brake and Saginaw powersteering conversion I found that I could make a brake drum forge, acquired a piece of RR track to use as an anvil and got into blacksmithing.  Proceeds from that work paid for the 200 lb PW I have now and other proceeds helped the truck get back on the road.  I've also welded/smithed multiple parts for the old girl.  Eventually I'll get around to painting her, but for now she's my daily driver and gets often gets compliments and buy offers.  My goal has been to keep her looking stock on the outside and when you're sitting in the cab, only when you pop the hood or start her up do you realize she's not stock.

Hi,

I live in a small town in Hungary and there is a junkyard right next to the "center". I usually get my steel stuff from there and sometimes I've run into some very nice items. Just like yesterday, when I found these. The price was about 2$ for the whole lot.

Does anybody know what those tools can be on 2nd and 3rd picture? Big hole cutters :)?

post-48601-0-90675900-1389086767_thumb.j post-48601-0-08318100-1389086782_thumb.j post-48601-0-02908400-1389086788_thumb.j post-48601-0-26599200-1389086804_thumb.jpost-48601-0-87423000-1389086825_thumb.j post-48601-0-99121300-1389086840_thumb.j

Nice digging to all!

Gergely

Pics 2 & 3 look like hole or wad punches.  Used for cutting holes or disks of leather/cork/gasket material.  Not sure of the size of these but I've seen them all sizes from 6mm up to 50ish mm.  Larger than that can be cut with a knife.

Good score for the price, now put them to work

Andrew

Thank you, Andrew for the quick answer.

I sensed somehow that those hole punches are not for metal, but wasn't sure.

The square punch and the tongs go right away to work.

I has been working on a cut off hardie, now I have two! Yippi...

And just today I found an old sledgehammer head. It needs some shaping work but no cracks or so. Lucky new year this far :D

Greetings

Gergely

I sensed somehow that those hole punches are not for metal, but wasn't sure.

Greetings

Gergely

We call them "Arch Punches", ... and they're traditionally used in Leather Work, ... but work very nicely for cutting any soft, thin material.

The larger ones, like yours, are useful for cutting the leather, or felt, or rubber disc's, used in "sucker rod" type pumps, commonly driven by Windmills.

I use a 1 1/2" Arch Punch, to cut Cotton Pillow Ticking into "patches" for my Muzzel Loading Rifles and Shotguns.

( There's a reason they call me "Mr. SmoothBore".  :D  )

Thank you Mr. Smoothbore for the info.

I don't have any muzzel loading guns, so I have to wait until find out what can I do with these punches. But it's better to have a tool than to be without one.

Nice buckets CLfarms! I still try to convince my friends that iron has nicer place with me as anywhere else  :). 

Good digging day to all!

Gergely

The most gigantic ball pein I've seen. :P

post-27440-0-12766800-1389656934_thumb.j

I also got about a half pound Heller cross pein in really great condition (Heller bros makes my absolute most favorite hammers ever :D) for $10. I've got a 2.5lb version in the same style and love it.

Thank you, Biggundoctor for the hint.

Square punch has got a handle since last time, Tongs are tested and seemed nicely useful. I've just made a hot-cut hardie, so the pictured is going to be a cold-cut one. 

That hammerhead in the second picture from the right is still a mystery.

And I've got this itchy feeling to visit the junkyard again... :huh: