I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Ink

George N. M.

While messing around on the interwebs I came across a gallery of blacksmith tattoos.  Do a google search for "blacksmith tattoos" and click on images  to see some pretty amazing examples.  I am wondering if any of the folk here have any blacksmith specific ink.  I do not have any ink of any sort.  I have too short an attention span.  I am tired of the calendar picture by the end of the month.  So, something I would see for the rest of my life would get old.  However, that's only me.

Here is an example:

If I got a tattoo this is a good one.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I occasionally toy with the idea of getting a small tattoo inspired by the hammer and anvil from Tolkien's original sketch of the Doors of Durin (not the version published in the books), but with the profile of my Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils) and a cross-peen hammer substituted for these oddities:

5D25A027-F81B-4762-9F75-DB81943C4A43.jpeg

I'll probably get one of those temporary tattoo pens from Walmart and see how it looks before I commit one way or the other.

That would be cool, like you say, without the crown and what looks like a claw hammer.  

I never heard of a temporary tattoo pen.  My nephew drew a mustache and beard on his face with a sharpie then discovered it wouldn't come off.  Now he uses wood ashes!

Looks like a repackaged surgical marker.  My wife has suggested she get one and use my belly scars to do an Ogham inscription before I go to a long SCA event.  Surgeons use them to mark on people with catchy things like "Don't Cut Here!" or "The other one idgit!"  Supposed to resist the scrubbing for surgery prep.

There was a case at one of the hospitals in Cleveland some years back when a diabetic who needed a leg amputated had the wrong one removed -- because the correct one had not been so marked -- and they had to go back and remove the correct one!

The worst part is that the guy can't even sue the hospital. 

Why, you ask?

Because he doesn't have a leg to stand on! 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Looks like a repackaged surgical marker. 

As I understand it, surgical markers are designed to last for a couple of days, while these are supposed to last for a couple of weeks. Quite possible that's where they got the idea, though.

I used to work in a tattoo shop so i paid little to nothing for most of the ones i have.  I have one that was done by a guy named Alf Diamond in Germany. When i got back to the states i found out he is one of the most famous tattoo artists in the world. It is pretty simple a skull with a pompadour of flames. 

Was going to get a brand at one time too. I got my iron made, heated it up good and hot took a deep breath, got ready, took another deep breath, built up my courage, another deep breath, steadied myself and stuck it on. I waited so long that i got a nice burn but the iron was to cold to leave a permanent scar. So a lot of pain for nothing. 

George, if you get one on your back you wont have to look at it all the time. 

JHCC, he couldnt foot the bill for the lawyers fee anyway. 

I'd absolutely Love to get more tattoos. I have ideas on what I want and where and some other ideas I'd like to have drawn up and done.  The problem is It costs a lot of money for good work. And when I think about the cost, I think about how that money could buy me a nice new tool that could possibly pay for itself or make me more money, or atleast make my life easier. 

I do have a few tattoos from my younger days, but nowadays I'd rather have a cool new (or old) tool  than more ink. I love art and appreciate body art to some degree, but I like making art myself more than getting it on my skin. 

Like others, I get my share of unplanned body art in the form of cuts and burns. 

I'm ink free except when I day dream while holding a pen. I've wanted a photo realistic picture of Libby, the livestock guardian dog who saved my life when I was attacked by the great white. . . birch. She rose a din Deb could hear in the house and recognized as Dog for come NOW it's the end of the world. Libby was also jumping against the fence hard enough it would've collapsed shortly. LGDs are weird about fences and boundaries, she could've easily jumped the fence or slipped the latch on the gate but LGDs are known for not crossing boundaries.

Anyway, I have a perfect photo of her in left profile I'd like on my right shoulder. The pose would have her looking at my heart and watching my back.

I've never found a shop or portfolio I like well enough though. 

Another I thought about when younger was a dotted red line around my big toe and an inscription on the sole of my foot saying, "Place tag here." I'm REALLY glad I heard how painful a tattoo on the bottom of your foot can be and how slow to heal. I'll let the coroner figure it out.

Frosty The Lucky.

There was an episode of “Homicide: Life on the Street” where the detectives were investigating the death of a biker who had a tattoo on his chest that read “If found, return to” and his mother’s name and address.