Blacksmith Ink

George N. M.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of mine got an interesting tattoo. And every time he’d meet a pretty lady and ask her name he’d act surprised and say “I’ve got your name tattooed!”

Then he’d proceed to show “YOUR NAME” tattooed in about the vicinity you’d get a penicillin shot. 

I’m not sure how many times he’d been slapped, but I’m pretty sure that’s why his eyes are permanently crossed. He’s apparently been slapped stupid because he keeps doing it. 

I've seen a few blacksmith related tattoos, one or two were on confirmed blacksmiths too.  It's not something I would do.  As I've aged, I've come to see a lot of work that aged very poorly.  Some because the work faded, but a lot of it ages badly because trendy stuff goes out of fashion.  A lot of people probably thought they chose something "timeless" or "classic" without giving much consideration to whether or not the tattoo artist is adhering to what will eventually be a short-lived style.  

I've seen this take a tragic turn with a friend who decided late in life that she wanted fuller looking eyebrows.  The "artist" gave her "Angry Bird" eyebrows like buddies might put on a sleeping friend with a sharpie as a practical joke.  The ink has since faded to green, the whole thing is just sad because nobody can look her in the eye for fear of offending her.  I'm certainly not a fashion expert, however I can say that I've seen fashion changes that ranged from non-existent brows, to stuff that would have made Groucho Marx blush. 

Tattoos can act as a timestamp, locking in more than just the image.  Briefly in the 1990's it was considered deep and introspective to get a tattoo of barbed wire around your bicep.  Today that tattoo is almost a punchline.  Now I see young ladies with horror themed tableaus covering neck to nethers.  Once the bloom of youth has passed, I wonder if they'll be happy with their decision. 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:15 AM, ThomasPowers said:

John, no, instead why don't you get tattoos for all of us?

We'll get Billy's local artist to tattoo our likeness on John instead of just our names!  

You favor branding over ink Lee? Please video it when you do this! I'll bet you'll be famous, maybe start a trend. 

What you going to get, WHERE?

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a sickle moon brand on the inside of my wrist where my watchband would cover it.  I'd tell folks it was from a secret society and I couldn't tell them more!  (Yup "the smith having a hot piece of pipe roll off the forge catching an edge on their wrist secret  society."

On 1/31/2022 at 1:21 PM, SLAG said:

Mr. SHC,

Your amorous friend deserved it.

SLAG.

You won’t hear me argue the matter. I’d warned him many times that he was going to end up getting shot by an angry husband. It hasn’t happened yet though.

2 hours ago, anvil said:

Order of the Burn, third degree,,,  

Good one but wouldn't there be 4 degrees? I know I've had them all. There's something disquieting seeing a puff of flame shoot up off your hide and smell BBQ. Happily 4th degree isn't painful for long. Then again I've never had one much larger than the end of a pencil eraser.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nodebt, a Thor’s hammer pendant isn’t hard to make, can’t imagine a hammer in profile of your favorite smithing hammer would be too difficult. 

Can’t remember who did the steel carving thread I read (I’m gonna bookmark that when I see it again) but those skills would (I’d think) work just fine on softer metals such as brass and copper. 

I’ve got some brass and copper… and my gears are turning. Ugh, I need to look after my house and myself before I do anything else. 

I don’t have any tattoos, but there’s one I may get at some point- a tape measure on the bottom edge of my arm. Not even something artistic or stylized- just simple, discreet lines and numbers. Handy for when you forget the tape measure while fishing (or doing anything else).