I Forge Iron

Are they worth getting?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me they would be well worth it for the right price. The pick ends can be reformed into drifts, hardy tools and other things. Those hammer heads could make some nice stake anvils with a lot of work. And were it me I have a bunch of ideas for the wrenches. Or they might be good stock as well. 

Anyone else thinking the wrenches would make for awesome table legs/base? 

If the wrenches are not real wrought iron I'd make a couple of gates from them.  The spike driving hammers, well I've used them thusly:

18257451_stake_anvils(2).jpg.638c2d3612e159b03d12f27b6b018c4d.jpg Stake anvils the left one from a round spike driver and the right from a squarish spike driver

Not to mention TRADING stock for the next Conference!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

seems like I've run across a pick head every time I've been to the scrapyard lately!

There was a great scrapyard by me but it closed to the public a few years ago. It was connected to Newport Steel, a steel plant in my region. 

Pnut

13 hours ago, Dillion Brian Grant said:

are worth the trouble

As stated, what is the asking price?  I would certainly like to get ahold of a couple of those spike heads if you wished to have part of the purchase subsidized...

Just saw your latest post pop in.  Where is that decimal point?

Robert Taylor

$75 per wrench?? They must be "antiques". Or one must have fallen on his head... $75 for the whole lot, maybe.

I'd offer him a bit over scrap price so as not to be insulting and because they're cool. If he says no, I would go elsewhere. There is a lot of rusty steel out there. 

I generally toss it back on the pile and laugh.   (That may be why I buy almost everything at scrap rate now at my local scrapyard; at first he tried to price things individually high and with a smile I would toss it back on the pile---not upset, it's just not for me at that price.  Now it's all at scrap rate.)

Are any of them stamped with the RR stamp? Some RR collectors will cough up dough for stuff stamped for their favorite RR; but US$75 for the entire lot is getting to be a deal I would look at---if I needed that many spike drivers!

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't know if I could conceal my stunned expression and not laugh in his face. 

I wouldn't be able to conceal mine for sure. Just a thought if you run across some old wrenches at a reasonable price ausfire posted this and I have made many like them. I especially like the cat faces.

What can you make from a spanner? - Blacksmithing, General Discussion - I Forge Iron

I was thinking it would be scrap or yard sale prices. The price he's asking is outrageous but it's the type of thing I run into most often in my area. I recall seeing some ball pien hammers and a draw knife that were all in pretty poor condition but could still be saved. They wanted thirty bucks for each hammer and sixty dollars for the draw knife. When I said that was too much the guy said, "They're over fifty years old.", people think age automatically translates to high prices. I left them for the interior decorators to buy and went looking for someone who wanted to see the tools get used. 

Pnut