I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Went to JHCC shop today learned so much it was great. Got to make my first hammer and am so pleased and thankful so far. cooling in hotbox now couple days I will finish the surfaces and then attempt my first  2 heat treats chisel first then hammer. Also first true use of a sledgehammer overall I believe I did pretty good just need to remeber  i can hit it harder lol.

20211121_170953.jpg

20211121_170948.jpg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When it comes to gas forges I've probably been the slowest on the forum to start. I think my first questions about gas forges were over 2 years ago and I've bumbled around with burners in between. But yesterday I finally made a start!!

20211121_180602.thumb.jpg.bfbef113cc18e45def92e95800d0738b.jpg

I've cut the front opening and the rear pass through and also cut the whole front end off just before the curve and welded some tabs on so I can bolt/unbolt it for ease of lining and future re-lining (just wired together for the photo).

I also recently got an old overhead projector trolley that our school library was throwing out (haven't used them since I was a student there but they still had them stored away!) so I'm hoping I can mount it on there for versatility.

I've got kaowool, rigidiser and duracast ready to line it and I'm about to start holidays! Excited!!

Thanks for looking!

Jono.

Made it around the bend and to the home stretch. Been working on this knife to occupy time for a while now. Old leaf spring for the blade, all other metal is from a ride spike. Walnut for the handle. Through tang peened together and gorilla glue reinforcement. Today's task was heat treat and attach handle. Next is the finish grind and finally sharpen. Triple normalized, quenched twice.  The first quench may have been a bit too cool and didn't fully harden. Tempered with a torch. Slightly blue back and edge is on the soft side of straw colored. Hope I got it right but I feel the torch temper was tricky and possibly not the best way. Whatever,  it's done now and we're pushing forward. This will be my first completed blade that isn't a knife shaped object. 

20211118_165644.jpg

16375476938647037356392133646764.jpg

16375477314302838985890699629901.jpg

1637548581834530939623645688216.jpg

Yesterday I had 3 friends out to work on pattern welding. The 2 beginners worked on BSB&PS billets and the other guy and I both worked on drive chain billets---sledge hammer for striking.

Two of them made it back today to continue work on their projects.  I welded up 4 barbwire basket icicles for Christmas presents---a big change from a massive fire to weld large billets with sledge hammers to a small fire to weld *rusty* barbwire for baskets.

We hope to get another day or two at the smithy before the holiday is over!

(And while waiting their turn at the coal forge; they moved some of the stuff around in the smithy for me getting ready for the powerhammer.)

on Friday I started a batch of 1/2in steel dice based on a video I saw from black bear forge a while back and cut 13 blanks, planning to do a 2 sets of 6 with one done then due to the fact our band saw doesn't cut square I then spent the time to true the cut sides on the lathe this resulted in the loss of 2. Then when placing the dots on the 6 i ruined 2 more with bad placement after that I ruined a further 2 by placing the centerpunch on points that where not there due to poor lighting of the work area I brought in a work light and saved these 2 from a similar death then sanded them. can anybody recomened a way to cut them straight?

IMG_0233.thumb.JPG.ce8f44b3440bb6b36b820b434e157ff8.JPG IMG_0237.thumb.JPG.50b4a0d8261a952c2a90d3caad907b29.JPG

also is it normal for Kast-O-lite to crack after heating and cooling cycles? its been going back and forth from heating iron to 8-(-10)*C at night IMG_0231_LI.thumb.jpg.9cc52f43f9b0101c96a58c93024179ee.jpg

M.J.Lampert

MJ, square up the band saw. There should be an adjustment somewhere. 

The dice, you do know the numbers have to be in a certain sequence right? The number you look at plus the opposite side should equal 7. So if you are looking at the 6 the side opposite is 1.  

how many years till something becomes a tradition? 3 years in a row i have made a new fork for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. This is my offering this year, along side the one from last year (cant find the other one) just to see progress. I have come to like to flared sides when i do them, i think colonial style. Anywho it is the one on the left.

IMG_20211124_151000.thumb.jpg.decd723b58ca653879473dabc639faa6.jpg

So while i was making my fork my hold fast was not holding fast. Good for larger stock but the flat bar that is the fork was bit small. So new hold fast was in order. Not the prettiest thing, and a bit longer than i wanted, but it works quite well. What i am excited about most is i almost got an upset corner. i am having a .... of a time time with them. And i thought welding was hard!

IMG_20211124_155645.thumb.jpg.4d6294ed304891499c61d1742fdb9068.jpg