• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent a week in jail over a gravity knife before the charges were dropped. There's a lot of room for interpretation by the officer on the scene and even if you're right you can't refuse to be arrested. I mean you can but it won't work out well for you.  Even though the charges were dropped they still show up on a background check almost thirty years later. Be careful. 

Pnut

Knife laws just don't make any sense to me.  Where I'm at people don't even blink at fixed blades worn on the hip, big pocket knives clipped to belt or pocket, various utility knives in leather holsters on your person.  

Then again, I'm surrounded by Farmers, so...

21 hours ago, Paul TIKI said:

Bear looked like a cross between a Chow and Rottweiler.  

My daughter had a dog that was a chow/rottie cross named Bear. 

My dog was mostly German Shepherd and Boxer. Looked like a brindle German Shepherd. 

Here in Ohio a butter knife could be a deadly weapon. However interpretation under this is up to the law enforcement. One officer may see it as legal while another may throw you in jail for it if concealed. 

The following constitutes a deadly weapon:

A serrated blade,

Any knife other than a basic pocket knife,

Quick open blade such as an automatic or gravity knife,

Razor point blade.

From what i have read on the law as long as it is not concealed you are ok. 

The UK has a law banning Zombie Killer knives. 

Back in the 1960's it was illegal to sell or barter a bowie knife or sword  in the state of Arkansas.  The law was enacted post American Civil War in the reconstruction period; but included a proviso allowing for carrying one if you were travelling over 12? miles out of your normal travels to protect yourselves form the "dangers of the road".    Jimmy Lile got the bowie knife part of the law dropped.  In the 1970's you could find swords in every pawn shop and flea market---all technically illegal.

An odd aspect was that a lot of ACW blades were turned into corn or cane cutting blades for use on farms.  You used to find original ACW blades truncated and *cheap* at flea markets back when I lived there as rusty old farm implements.

4 hours ago, Red Shed Forge said:

Kexel, 

I meant not to imply any ignorance. I merely saw that a generalizing conversation was being had about the state in which I live. Considering that we have several members here on IFI who reside in IL, I figured a summary of the laws would be helpful for all of us. 

Oh no worries I see how my post could sound like I was offended in some way.  I don't get offended, I was just saying I'm aware, all in good fun, and I am unfortunatley very familiar with Illinois' firearm and weapon laws.  I wish I was blissfully ignorant sometime, but even plausible deniability has its limits.  Thanks for posting the info.

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Aye; like the wise fools of Gotham!

"Tell me no more of Gotham fools,
Or of their eels in little pools,
Which they were told were drowning;
Nor of their carts drawn up on high,
When King John's men were standing by,
To keep a wood from browning.

"Nor of their cheese shoved down the hill,
Nor of a cuckoo sitting still,
While it they hedged round;
Such tales of them have long been told,
By prating boobies, young and old,
In drunken circles crowned.

"The fools are those who thither go
To see the cuckoo bush, I trow,
The wood, the barn, and pools;
For such are seen both here and there,
And passed by without a sneer
By all but errant fools"

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Is that a challenge? :huh:

Just out of curiosity, in what way are you familiar with Il law? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Challenge accepted!

I operate a small business in the firearms industry.  Which is much like trying to drown eels in buckets of water.

Heck, I'm nearly to the point of being willing to drive all the way to illinois if you had some Ammo to spare.  It's getting scarce out here.  Not a problem of rising prices.  You just can't get any unless you camp out at the sporting goods store or firearms outlets in anticipation of the truck coming in.