I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

My pleasure. Remember that what makes the difference between good craftsmanship and bad (or simply indifferent) is close attention to the details. It's clear from the photo what your design idea is (and it's cool!), but those little details need attention to bring the quality of your workmanship up to the level of your design.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep. Definitely a learning curve. Compared to my first knife, though... Just between the two I've come a long wayr/Bladesmith - First knife- Constructive Criticism Welcome

Looking to get a bit of O1 or W1, maybe some 5160 and pound out some nice ones over Christmas break. The one I just finished gives me the confidence to think that I can make, while not an excellent knife, a perfectly usable and, to me, quite satisfactory little blade.

Also, figured out how to change my profile pic. Maybe you'll see my fascination with Chimaeras...beautiful creatures!

3 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Perhaps put magnets on the blade to hold it and press it on the sander? Or would holding the sander and having the blade magneted down work better?

Both sound dangerous depending on the kind/strength magnets you are talking about. And how you might mount the hand sander. 

I'm sure your dad will absolutely love it. 

Just to say, the forum isn't chat, so no worries, other replies will be there in the morning. And many years after for that matter. 

Those magnets have a stronger pull power but less sliding hold power. Not sure what very strong equates to. I have one with a 900lb. pull rating, but I can slide it off of a flat steel surface. 

Why I mention this is while sanding or grinding it may slip or worst case catch and fly off. It's just not safe in my opinion. 

I have seen magnetic holds used in sanding /grinding blades. Not sure the strength but they are made for the job. 

True. I'm not sure of the poundage pull, but the sliding force probably isn't great... better to not risk it shooting a blade out... I'm starting to feel like I got stabbed just thinking about it... JHCC was probably right in saying that at this stage hand filing is gonna be better. I might put the knife in the vice and take the angle grinder or belt sander to it for rudimentary flattening, but files are now my master... 

No forging last time but constructing a new weldingtable. A few impressions:

plateau.jpg.3ca031fd0263e3eb62c4714b67aea053.jpg

The surface

Corpus.jpg.b7ac5729a55140191b5876472f4d4603.jpg

metalroller.jpg.b26a8863d94fafbdd85034aa92f16ae2.jpg

choose steel wheels

AllExtensions.jpg.73320af139b3eb50d704ad5b13bc62a3.jpg

if all extensions are pulled out to their max. it ist about 2,5m to 1,4m (98,5" to 55")

642838689_Extensionsupportoverview.jpg.6cc5719af4a9373371629335747767a3.jpg

Supportarm

560688632_Extensionsupport.jpg.267c0ecb92a5e91eab9a51db737bba3c.jpg

adjustable in high

Torchholder.jpg.f9e1acafbaf490eff728f6e30b574327.jpg

holder for the mig welding gun and the dust drawer

Dustcatcher.jpg.7d41ec1a2255ffa56aac60fd3b6f2026.jpg

Dust drawer

Greetings

Sascha

13 hours ago, Chimaera said:

a perfectly usable and, to me, quite satisfactory little blade.

That's the main thing and I agree about not using the magnets. I've first hand knowledge about power tools grabbing the work and launching it across the shop. Just by luck the blade did not hit me.

2 hours ago, LeMarechal said:

new weldingtable.

That is a very fine looking welding table indeed.

Today we went out to a friends place to get some sawblade; about 40' of bandsaw blade that is 7" wide at the narrowest part. Only 2 miles from the paved road in lovely country! I kept about 12' and let my minion have about 28'.

After lunch we fired up the gasser and a student/friend of mine worked on forging a blade from new 5160 strap stock, 1/4" thick x 1.5" wide.  I worked on another bottle opener from some old buggy tyre. We also rolled a 5' diameter 1/2"? thick  disk to the end of the driveway for a friend to pick up to make a welding table from for his SiL.  At the end of the session my 100# tank ran out so it's a bbq tank tomorrow and a refill on Monday.  But I will have propane for the Christmas/New Years Holiday!

I got a good start on another present. I'm making my wife kitchen tools. The first three are a spatula, a ladel, and a pasta spoon. I almost finished the spatula, an be still need to assemble the other two. Construction is copper ends with copper scales on the handles. Handles and rivets are mild steel. 

2641CE95-6531-482C-AC81-079ED6B4B330.thumb.jpeg.c32bd7986d5f8213b09df657dffc64ef.jpeg

F2DFE3EF-7CDA-4AD5-A8A9-209261B05B89.thumb.jpeg.ce7f82f44e56a460633405975dbcd8fd.jpeg

95AEB92B-ADAB-43BF-A545-437D6E2D5689.thumb.jpeg.5996ed50a84bc736ca2458388eaf3f1c.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Glenn said:

With peanut allergies today, I would suggest you add that it was coated with peanut oil as a surface preservative. 

That's a good point Glenn. These are for my wife so I know that's not an issue. But definitely something to keep in mind!

19 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

As copper is not all food safe, I don't use it for the working ends of implements that won't work well tinned.  I tend to use stainless, titanium or even seasoned plain steel for those items and have tinned copper pans before.

I did not know about that. I assumed because of all the copper pans and utensils for sale it was safe. I didn't realize that they were tinned. 

I'll have to do some research to know what to keep these tools away from!

The problem with copper is that when it is in he presence of acidic foods it oxidizes into some very nasty things.  Besides the obvious acidic food items like citrus or vinegar there are other things that aren't as obviously acidic such as anything with tomatoes in it.

Historically, the way to keep the copper and acids separated was tinning.

Many copper pots, etc. you see have the copper on the outside where its heat conducting properties are a benefit but the inside is another metal.

Aluminum can be a problem too but it is nowhere near as reactive as copper and the oxides aren't as toxic.

BTW, Redleg, nice work.

"By hammer an hand all arts do stand." 

Thanks George!

I've been doing a little reading and it seems to be that along with acids heat and time are the main contributers to the danger. Due to the short amount to time and heat they will be exposed to these should be safe correct?  I don't care how beautiful they are, I don't want to poison my family!