• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had 3 friends over to forge; masked and 2 forges (coal and propane)for social distancing, most fun I've had in the shop in months.  I was forge welding up a prototype for a swept hilt rapier guard; when I get a good design I will do one in real wrought iron. One friend was forging a 5160 knife from new stock, another was reworking a hand hammer to put fullers in between the eye and faces. The last forged a chili pepper from pipe as a Christmas gift.

We also built a  bottom fuller from a car axle forged to fit the hardy hole and then bent over to lie on the face of the anvil making a large secure bottom fuller.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, Frosty said:

No, they have three: one nickel copper sandwiched by two copper nickel outers.

Yes, but, when you fuse the top layer of quarter b to the bottom of a, and the bottom of b to the top of c, you end up with 2n+2*1/2, where n is the number of quarters. Because you will have a half layer at the top of a and a half layer at the bottom of c in our theoretical 3 high stack. If we did a 6 high stack we would have a half top of a, a bottom half of f, then each coin would fuse with its surroundings to make two layers apiece. Then in grinding we would probably take off our half layers and end up with 2*6=12. I’m probably wrong though, As frosty disagrees!

Made this songcatcher as a x-mas gift/thank you for the green house frame. Used some of the kinked tubing from the frame as the chimes. It ended up a little larger than I anticipated, 8 ft from top to the bottom of the sail, but if I made it any shorter it would look cluttered. Tuned to A, B and G

20201220_211609.thumb.jpg.9646125772a994c8cbb5bf394ba87fd6.jpg

Chimeara: Depends on how you count. I don't do much mokume but have noticed it's really hard to get complete fusion between quarters so I count them individually. Of course a person who's actually good at mokume will have better results. 

That's just my opinion it won't surprise me if I'm wrong. I have plenty of mistaken experience.

I LIKE it Shabumi! I've never heard the term "song catcher" but it's perfect. Ever incorporate cut crystal in the catcher for rainbow sparkles? 

A dear old friend of mine used to make dream catchers and gift folks, I have two. The one upstairs incorporates buttons, she had one at home with lead crystals and it sprayed rainbows everywhere. When the heat came on the dream catcher would move in and the rainbow "sprites" would dance. 

Just a thought.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ooh, I like the catapult Dennis. Way better then the ones I made as a kid with a wooden spoon and a couple rubber bands.

Thank Frosty. Songcatcher is our kennel name, and our gimmick. All our dogs are named after songs. I just took the name and ran with it. 

I have used crystals in previous ones, but I didn't have any on hand while making this one. I love the rainbow effect that come with them.

I've been getting alot of interest in these, so I will be making a few more for sale. Now comes the fun part of pricing them. Ugh. I've seen other tuned wind chimes the same size as the one I just made go for $300US. That seems a little steep for me, especially with my novice ability at making them, but they don't have the dreamcatcher tops. I guess I'll start with the commercial prices, and if people balk at the price I can always lower it a bit.

On a related note, how would one rivet through a hollow pipe without the rivet bending inside the hollow section? I've been having alot of trouble with this while making the chimes and I finally settled for letting it bend towards the top so the chain stays in the middle with the bend, but I end up losing the length needed for even heads on both sides, even when I add extra length. 

Mr. Powers, as it happens we do have a Nerf mitrailleuse in the house, one of the belt fed ones.  the downside is it takes a while to reload and it eats d cell batteries.  I prefer the Nerf single shot, as it is nore reliable and is more accurate.

(and yes, I had to google the translation)

Shabumi, dogs named after songs?  Did you have trouble selling Karn Evil 9 (by ELP hmm a great name for cairn terrier perhaps?)

PT: I had to look it up to get it spelled correctly; luckily I had run across it reading SF and it stuck under the "weird weapons humans have come up with"  along with the wheellock boarding axe...

3 hours ago, Shabumi said:

On a related note, how would one rivet through a hollow pipe without the rivet bending inside the hollow section? I've been having alot of trouble with this while making the chimes and I finally settled for letting it bend towards the top so the chain stays in the middle with the bend, but I end up losing the length needed for even heads on both sides, even when I add extra length. 

Do you have to have a rivet in the tube? My solution would be to drill two holes at the top (one each side diametrically opposed) and then make a wire hanger to fit,

Make hanger like an inverted V shape with ends flared out in the same straight line plane, to fit into the two holes, trim to length to slightly plus the diameter of the tubes and then spring it into place in the drilled holes and use this as a suspension point.

2 hours ago, Paul TIKI said:

the downside is it takes a while to reload 

that why nerf made the rhino fire so you can use their mags normaly 25 or 30 but will take any others 5,10,15,20 they are a fare bit easier to reload and the gun uses 2

i prefer an airsoft though a CO2 or electric can work exilent and they are even in common setups so work as a training tool along side your real guns ( Glock, berretta aks ars ect)

40 minutes ago, John B said:

Make hanger like an inverted V shape with ends flared out

I have repaired several wind chimes like that. We have some that came with monofilament holding the tubes that didn't last very long and we really liked the tone of them. The repairs have lasted for probably 20 years now.

Not in the shop; but I'm reading "The Sword and the Crucible, A History of the Metallurgy of European Swords up to the 16th Century", Alan Williams; while waiting for work to show up.  Lots of photo micrographs.  I'm about 1/2 way through and am embedded in the Viking era where there are some interesting evidence of crucible steel use in Northern Europe for a few blades!