I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

BillyBones - I like the book stand. 

Alexandr - always such beautiful pieces

I recently made a piece for "yard art" which was the trade item for the Kansas blacksmith club. My plan changed a few times in the six hours I worked on it, lol

But this is what I came up with:

received_1271416123433157.thumb.jpeg.d57fabc8d7201dcd726d2ace568a03b3.jpeg

Brass brushed the tips of the tendrils and heat painted the rest, then sealed with 2 coats of rustoleum clear coat.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, alexandr said:

"Monday is a hard day" Russian proverb.

I think that may translate to the American saying "I hate Monday" 

Just always keep in mind that if it were not for Monday then Tuesday would the hard day. 

Edited by Mod30
Double tap

Well I saw someone on youtube was making small forged figures and thought I would give it a try. I didn't watch the whole video as I wanted to figure it out myself. My first attempt was kinda ok. I realized all my tooling is too big for this small work.20231120_140630.thumb.jpg.ed3bbfa72f48795f16459374249762ff.jpg

So I made myself a bick for the next one. That way I can get something between the front and back legs.

20231121_155659.thumb.jpg.b4681946ecc169d0f954b01046151918.jpg

20231121_155709.thumb.jpg.8413c57edd73665b1adda7eb20107c4c.jpg

I also am working on a smaller fuller, an eyeball punch and a few more small tools that are currently being annealed. 

I also finally got around to finishing the holder for my swage block.

20231120_140549.thumb.jpg.97d5051764a51480c72736a47bef7d34.jpg

I've been running around and haven't had time for much of anything,  including keeping up here.  I have been working on a non metal commission of a book shelf.   It's been so long since I've done any Woodwork it feels kinda good to get back to it.   This is revisiting the project that lead to my first attempt and i may still make some handles for it. 

20231121_202203.jpg

Pretty cool Chad, I like it. Lots of room for reference books, it's hard to find shelves they'll fit on. Well, my kind of reference books that is. I have a couple few fossils that'd look good on display on top. Or maybe a nice oil lamp in case of power failures.

We had a dandy yesterday, it went out about 1:30pm and stayed out till after 10pm when I went to bed. It was on but flickering at 2am. I got up really early because I went to bed early, it was too dark to do anything. Candles and oil lamps suck compared to four 40 watt LEDs.

Again I like it, well done!

Frosty The Lucky.

Tim, is that swage block 2” A36 water jet cut? If so how do you like it?

I got the forge welding done on the picket last night:

IMG_0703.jpeg.9d7b5fc9672e21b8e78947826f7411a4.jpeg

It took way longer and was way trickier than I thought it would be. It’s not as clean as I would like, but it passes… on to the next step, whenever I get another forging session.

Keep it fun,

David

Long time, no see. First go at this in months.

Felt inspired recently, grabbed some 3/8th's round bar and aim to divide it into J hooks.

Done two so far, need to do better on the taper prior to flattening it for the head. Had a light bulb moment at the end to use a 30mm pipe section on a jack frame to get more uniformity in the curve (the tool you can see in the first photo). Quite pleased with how they turned out. They both need abit of cleaning up mind you.

Hooks in you 22.11.2023.JPG

Hooks in me 22.11.2023.JPG

3 hours ago, Goods said:

Tim, is that swage block 2” A36 water jet cut? If so how do you like it?

Hey David,

It is 2 inches, not sure how it was made though. When I picked up this hobby I did a quick search and found a local Smith who was selling these. He had some others as well. I like it. It does what I need. I don't really have any experience with anything else to compare it too.

Tim, the weld itself was not a big issue. I just brought it up to temperature real slow. My issue was two fold. First, the cross section of the leaves was tapered center to edges. Second, the leave we to small to wire up and not have the wire in the weld, so I put a spot of mig weld at the corner. Both of these made it very difficult to bend the scarf in. I also had issue with the parent bar thinning from scaling due the the number of welding heats the blend the weld. I ended up using an isolated heat to upset in the areas (and a lot of file clean up).

All lessons learned for future projects.

About the swage block, I’ve seen a couple sources for water jet cut swage blocks from mild steel, but they’re still pricey. Hopefully I’ll run across what I want at the “right” price when I’m actually convinced I need one.

Keep it fun,

David

Tim, oh, I with you! Tig would be ideal, mig would probably be ok… if I was any good at it! (For clarification, this was flux core not true mig welding.) The funny thing is, the first welding I learned was Tig welding and I’m still much better with that that true mig or flux core welding. I just have equipment handicaps.

Keep it fun?

David

My though of tig over mig was that mig would be default add filler material that would be more difficult to blend in, whereas with tig you could just blend the two metals together to tack weld them with no filler metal that would require blending in during the forge weld.

Scott, the orange bulb in there is solar powered but the panel is on the base (intended use was for hanging upside down from how I have it, lol). I tried to rig up a mirror to sit in the coils beneath the bulb, with enough gap for sunlight to bounce off the mirror into the panel. But the mirror busted twice and I gave up. But solar powered was the original intent