I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Spoken like someone who lives in cold country Gewoon. Cold is cold all a thermometer does is put a number on it. All a person is concerned with is converting the cold air around them to warm air.

I really like your tic tac toe set Shaina, I may have to make one for myself.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work Shainarue, I like the tic tac toe set.

I got a new tuyere attached to the forge, along with a new fire grate.  The fire grate is 5/16" steel plate with 3/8" holes drilled and slightly beveled on the top side.   Got it all put back together and gave it a test run to finish the weld on my basket handle.  I found that whatever mystery metal I have doesn't like to be forge welded, or worked hot. as it decided to show cracks, and not stick together.  I thought there was something up with it when I decided to use it. It didn't look like the rest of my stock. It had surface rust, but didn't look like surface rust on mild steel. It may have some chromium in it. 

Here's a pic of the new fire grate after todays session.

IMG_20231112_125020083(Copy).jpg.3c43d33259faa6db77a5434198b5c360.jpg

I also enlarged the intake on the side draft it seems to draw better.

Had a very productive 6 hrs in the smithy today, made a new nail header, hot cut, anvil mounted tool holder (punchline?) and got started on another pair of bolt jaw tongs 
image.thumb.jpeg.4a78e89a18a85eb2548de8dba3672d4f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a9be221302d0efdb9745b631fd0cb943.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4c9e157eef70bd716208a4ec27505451.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3944cb75c0b22c764363629b4336673b.jpeg

and I hung up the horseshoe my friend and I found while we were out hunting ptarmigans, that horseshoe and 3 empty shotgun shells was all that we acquired in that trip but we had a good time in natureimage.thumb.jpeg.6bed885652292b1fc70ffcad6fc6bdeb.jpeg

Thank you for the compliment on the snail Larry. 

Haha about the pens Billy.

Thanks Frosty & BlueRooster. Frosty, I have a few ideas if I were to do it again - I'm sure you'd come up with something even better! I would like to do another one but not a a 150mm challenge, lol. I've also been wanting to do a mancala game for a few months now. Just haven't gotten around to it. 

I have another club meeting this coming Saturday. Because of where I live, I can go to all of the Kansas meetings so I joined their club last year. I'm able to go to about half of the Missouri meetings. Anyway, the trade item this Saturday is yard art. I have an idea but I haven't even started it yet so we'll see.

Today I welded up a coat tree for my best friend. It's not finished. I still need to get it level, grind a nice dome shape to the end of the branches, and paint. None of the decorative work is mine. I had picked up a bunch of solid metal railing balusters for free from someone on FB Marketplace. I figured I could grind off the coating and use them as stock. When my friend mentioned needing a coat tree, I told her I had just the thing! I only used 4 pieces for this. I still have 50 or so left, lol

370083788_641388931401259_1288336193364586670_n.thumb.jpg.c3212a19a364652b45db8187a9992366.jpg

I also worked on the Buffalo 0 forge I've been restoring. I learned how to lace a flat belt using cord and got that done. It's super loud because I still need to work on the fan but this is huge progress! (In case you can't watch the video: it's just me cranking the lever, making the wheels spin which turns the fan pulley and blows the air.)

Dabbersterrin, that's a lot of progress for 6 hours! Or at least, it would be for me, lol! I like the punchline. I've been thinking I need to get something made for my punches. I've gotten to the point that the cups I keep them in currently aren't as convenient as I'd prefer. I just have to decide what I want and where I want it.

Nice setup John. I see you also have tools in cups - but keep them all together in a toolbox. That's a great start at least. I think I'll do just that when I'm out in the shed tomorrow evening!

the treadle hammer and a short but thorough list of projects for the day make for a productive day. 11 years of forging also help even if the days spent forging have been way fewer than I wished. who'd have thought that work and 3 other hobbies would take up so much time :P

Regarding the punchline, a neat feature of that design with the angle iron suspended from the sq. tubing is that scale and dust will have a hard time building up in there but I'd add something on either side closer to the bottom since the current gap is wide enough for tools to get between

Shaina, what ever is making the clanking noise is what's keeping your forge from freewheeling. You have to be able to feel the clank, have the Mrs. slowly work the handle while you carefully watch and feel the works. A screw driver touching a bearing will let you feel and hopefully localize the problem. 

It also stops rather abruptly so you should be able to see what's catching. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Since I finally got a pretty good anvil and my step son finally moved his car I managed to forge a knife and a couple coat hooks. I've had trouble heat treating knives in the past because the forge isn't long enough to heat the whole knife at once. I had a good piece of wrought iron given to me by a nice member of this group. I  used that to beat out a knife. I am out of practice and as a stroke survivor practice is critical to keeping up any learned skill. I'm not too ashamed of this latest blade. Much. I split a piece of 3/4 inch copper pipe to go between the steel and wood. I turned the copper down on top of the handle to hide the wood and make a fake guard.  It's number 20 since I started forging. 

IMG_20231112_151235.jpg

Hondo, is the copper visible along the spine and underside of the handle as well? If so i am thinking a faux cap on the but end by bending the copper like the faux guard would look quite nice as well. I prefer drop point rather than up swept, just my taste, nice job regardless. 

Alexandr, i do not envy your driving spikes into frozen ground. 

Well it is almost Thanksgiving so it is time to start getting geared up for Christmas. 

My mom and my aunt are quilters and like to cook. So this year they are getting book stands, or i suppose you could use it to hold an i-pad. 

image.thumb.jpeg.daf05e6992aeba07ec45cb6216cd88d9.jpeg

No, i still have not cleaned my bench off, but at least i can see part of the top.

Repoussé on the Road. First, some toolmaking (filing and rough sanding in preparation for hardening and polishing) in my hotel room on last week’s business trip:

IMG_7765.thumb.jpeg.4696e1292e545eb689b8f4918783c221.jpeg

IMG_7764.thumb.jpeg.6a2af4db5e4ba47bdda7b62fb21d5dde.jpeg

And today, lining-in a new practice piece while waiting for my son to come out of the doctor’s:

IMG_7769.thumb.jpeg.c5cb1e96fcb11a3c0dbe608917684e7b.jpeg

6 hours ago, BillyBones said:

No, i still have not cleaned my bench off, but at least i can see part of the top.

Come on Billy. Don't lie to us. you just put the board over top of everything on the bench just like we all do.

I do like the book holder. Simple but elegant.

JHCC,

doesn't that make a lot of noise in the hotel room?? I usually just annoy the people in the next room with my snoring.

Alexandr; A drill with an auger bit is your friend. ;)

BillyBones; I like the book stand. May have to try something similar to hold a phone.

Dabbsterinn; Looks like you've been busy making things for the shop.  I guess it helps keep the shop warm.

I got the chance to get started on another fire poker with basket twist handle. But after I got the working end done, I came to the realization that I have no way to do the twist on the handle. My vise is leaned against the tool bench, and have yet to mount it to the new stump.  But first I have to move the stump to the smithy. That requires the use of the tractor. The tractor had a blow out on the front tire the other day, and I'm trying to find a new tire.  If it aint one thing it's six. Progress thus far:IMG_20231119_133639108(Copy).jpg.33fed9a8ccd845bd00554550ece2cbb4.jpg

2 hours ago, bluerooster said:

I guess it helps keep the shop warm

I sure wish it did, we have 2 electric blowers and a radiator in the shop but that just barely keeps it above freezing, layers are the key and a nice hot cup of coffee also helps a whole lot

but for the twisting, could you mount the vise on a plate with a square shank for the hardy? 

It's a post vise, and I don't think it would take kindly to being stuck in a hardy hole. ;)

I had to rearrange the smithy when I installed the side draft flue. And had to move the vise. The stump that it was attached to was rotten, and I decided that it needs to be replaced so I didn't install it. I have a new stump, but have to get it from there to here, and my tractor has a blown out tire.

One would think there would be some way of using geothermal energy for heat. Being in "the land of fire and ice" and all. But I guess it just depends on where you are there.

Why not? Make the shank and mounting table so it rests at the correct height for the leg vice, the floor socket mount pins under the anvil stand. It'd take a couple minutes to drop in or remove and no it doesn't need to take up space over the anvil, you'd still be able to hammer on it. You can use any of your bottom tools in a leg vice.

Sure it's a temporary stand but it's a useable and portable stand.

Sure you can use geothermal energy anywhere, even Antarctica. You just aren't pumping 140f water out of the ground, you circulate the coolant of your choice and transfer the thermal energy with a heat pump. In Antarctica you'd have to circulate the heat pump refrigerant.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alexandr, you’re always a hard act to follow! Beautiful as always!

I got some time in the shop today and started on a single picket for a railing. (One of the smiths in our group is redoing his and asked for one for all the smiths, with their own style and touch mark.) I’m maybe half way there:

IMG_0700.jpeg.80ffaa5a934100df5275697927630b8a.jpegIMG_0701.jpeg.6825daf27057f4fd49218f7f07aff9bb.jpeg

I’m probably over doing it, but I guess that’s my style…

I’ve got to clean it up, before I can got to the next step of forge welding.

Keep it fun,

David