• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Removed the punch holders from one side of my vise stand (you can see the wreckage on the floor underneath) and replaced them with a set of small drawers. The drawers themselves were salvaged from the junkyard and are held in an open-sided cabinet welded up from salvaged bed rails. 

IMG_7001.thumb.jpeg.440ec80582f11488281353fbb4309f18.jpeg

IMG_7002.thumb.jpeg.28d8407c8946e86b1927fa56d2e7dff5.jpeg

I haven't checked in in quite some time - so I'm gonna quote for some of the earlier posts. Hope that's okay.

On 6/29/2023 at 10:23 PM, JHCC said:

added some more bits to the welding cart

John, that's a really sweet welding cart you've got going on! A place for every thing and every thing in its place B)

Also love the shelving you added to the post vise stand for punches. 

On 6/29/2023 at 1:22 AM, Daswulf said:

Grasshopper turned out ok.

Pipe wrench and butter knives - awesome. I love seeing what you come up with Das!

On 7/2/2023 at 10:09 PM, Wandering_R0gue said:

Finished all but for sharpening. Next step is the scabbard.

That's a slick lookin sword. I love the hilt design.

Duckwalk, I like leaf you added to the traveling trivet you made. I'm gonna add that note to my traveling trivet page. 

I may have been absent from here but I have continued regularly forging. We're supposed to get some rain this weekend so maybe I'll take the time to get a post together of what I've worked on. Just reading through this one thread has already eaten through my lunch break though, lol

It's been in the mid 70 to low 90s. 

The humidity has been off the charts this summer with 70 feeling like 95 and 90 feeling like 100f. 

We have had so much rain the raspberries have little flavor. 

We have been getting 3 to 4 days of rain on a regular schedule meaning weekly. 

Only nice thing is not much risk of fires. 

Few days ago I finished the chain makers tongs I'll need for teaching at Peter's Valley.

3/4"sq jaws, 7/16" reins. 

IMG_20230713_202137_427.jpg

That stinks Billy.   Saw someone build a door around a thread here somewhere, and used one of the screws to actually turn the lock, so was completely hidden.  Hard to make tin foil hold a lock.  

Agree about the city. I was searching over about 10k square miles to find this place.  An 85 mile drive to work, but I plan on retiring here, so worth my time in the car to me.  

To be on topic, built a shade structure for the rabbits and chickens, which will be doubling as my open air forging area shortly.  

Nice work Jennifer. The tongs look great. 

Billy, nice work on the tiki torch holders. They look like a great marketable item. Sorry about the thieves. Hopefully your ins. takes care of you and karma takes care of them. 

Today I went to the Kansas Freestate Blacksmith Club meeting. It was held at a scrap yard! I think the owner is a member. Anyway, he gave us all a great deal if we wanted anything. We got to clamber all over the property. I found the perfect pipes to replace the legs on the Buffalo I'm restoring (two of them were even threaded!), a large pipe and thick plate to rig up some treadle hammer jigs, and a huge block to use as an anvil block. All for 20 bucks. 

Five members participated in the open forging time prior to the meeting. I watched and chatted with various members. I bring my tools every meeting and always chicken out, but I don't dwell too much on it since I'm also making connections with the other members. I wouldn't be doing that if I was forging. 

One of the members who was forging toppled backward in his chair when he sat down to rest and cracked his skull on something metal laying behind him. Thankfully, his grandson hollered fast for help, and a retired paramedic was first to assist, quickly followed by a fire chief. He was in good hands. Someone grabbed the first aid kit from their car and they got him wrapped up tight to stop the bleeding, then someone drove him to the hospital where he got 5 stitches and came right back to finish up his trade item :o These guys are hardcore, lol

The trade item was "anything made with scrap". I had some railroad spikes and we had a demo at our last meeting for making nails so I made a nail header out of the spike. 

Pictures: short stubby nail header was my first attempt last week. Long heat painted one was the trade item. Hook was my warmup and nails I've been working on in between heats of larger stock. 

received_749490740311483.jpeg

IMG_20230713_210938_823.jpg

Indeed!!

I finished up a bunch of repoussé tools I’d started several months ago, and added storage for them in the newly designated Repoussé and Chasing Toolbox.

IMG_7030.thumb.jpeg.840a11c18f3fba2555bea5f6e8d26a34.jpeg

The tool holders are made of plumber’s torch propane tanks, cut into thirds and jammed into place.  I’ll add additional fastening if necessary.

(The saucepan holds my supply of extra chaser’s pitch.)

Went yesterday to get some more of the tiki torch cans. My local hardware store has the cans separately for $6.99. But i can buy an entire tiki torch for $2.99. Now i just have to figure out what to do with a bunch of 4' bamboo sticks. 

I also picked up some square tubing to experiment with making the torches with electric lights that will plug in. Of course i do have plans for making solar powered LED style as well. 

The most difficult part of the build is riveting the basket on. I have found that a split tenon works very well. I make the tenon at 3/8" then hacksaw a slot down it length wise. cut it just about 1/8" longer than what the basket pieces are thick. Heat it up, place on the basket, then use a cold chisel to spread the "legs" apart. 

Update on my thievery, first i have an idea of who done it. We have a boarding house/apartment place a few doors down that has some shady folks moving in and out right now. I do not like to judge a book by its cover but in the time i have lived here this has never happened before. New people close and the carryout a couple doors down has made a few complaints about the new neighbors. Of course with no evidence the police can not do anything. 

second, my insurance will pay for it. I have just started the claim so it is in the works. I guess that i lost about $800 in equipment, fortunately i am one of those people who wants the lowest deductible i can get, in my state that is $500.